U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2010, 04:36 PM

2,866 posts, read 4,164,402 times

Advertisements

I never saw the need for a rice cooker. Rice is about the easiest thing to make on the stove top, can't see another appliance crowding the countertop just for rice . . . and I eat a lot of rice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 PM

781 posts, read 811,240 times
I would say my crock pots are my second favorite. I have a big one and a small one that is great for 1 or 2 chicken breasts. I use one of the crock pots at least once a week. In the winter I love it to make the comfort foods and in the summer I love them because I don't have to heat up the whole house to make a nice meal.

My favorite though is my bread machine. I can just put in some flour and a few other basic things, turn it on and then I have fresh baked bread. We also use it for pizza dough, banana bread, bagels, garlic and herb rolls, I could go on and on. It is so easy to use. It makes the whole house smell so good too.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,240,483 times
The rice cooker is a convenience item for me really. Saves me firing up the stove or having to watch anything and it comes out perfect every time... that and it was like 20 bucks. As for the crock pot most of my recipes don't involve soup or stock as the crock pot already retains all the moisture of the food anyway. I can put in beef/chicken and vegetables with no liquid and end up with plenty of liquid in the end.

I do like the idea of a bread maker though. I'm not a huge bread fan normally but fresh bread is a whole different story.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,433,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Seriously I use my little crock pot 2-3 times a week and being single that means leftovers for the next day. Today I threw in a fajita seasoning packet, 2 lbs of stew meat and veggies (yellow/green peppers & onions). In about an hour I'll be thickening the liquid and tonight I'll have a stew type meal for serving over rice.

It is so easy to cook with I can't believe I didn't start using one a long time ago, heh. That and it is easy to be creative with it. I'm always seeing something and thinking "I bet I could throw that in the crock with a little bit of X and some Y!", lol.

So what appliances can't you live without? What appliances do you use the most and how do you get creative with them?

Oh and speaking of appliances you use a lot... the ice shaver I bought a few years ago for like twenty bucks is due to come out of the closet again.
I think if you added a George Foreman to that list I could as well. When my toaster stopped working, rather then buy a new one, I started using the grill for that. I have done everything on it from steak to panini to scrambling eggs on the flat surface they have. I like using small appliances like that rather then the stove because it doesn't heat up the house so much.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:23 PM

3,956 posts, read 5,603,621 times
Quote:
Seriously I use my little crock pot 2-3 times a week and being single that means leftovers for the next day. Today I threw in a fajita seasoning packet, 2 lbs of stew meat and veggies (yellow/green peppers & onions). In about an hour I'll be thickening the liquid and tonight I'll have a stew type meal for serving over rice.

It is so easy to cook with I can't believe I didn't start using one a long time ago, heh. That and it is easy to be creative with it. I'm always seeing something and thinking "I bet I could throw that in the crock with a little bit of X and some Y!", lol.

So what appliances can't you live without? What appliances do you use the most and how do you get creative with them?

Oh and speaking of appliances you use a lot... the ice shaver I bought a few years ago for like twenty bucks is due to come out of the closet again.
Ever had the electric go out for a week? I will take my gas stove any day; I wind up with all the neighbors over during major outages.. My friend uses her woodstove when the power goes out to heat and also keep things like long cooking items like stew cooking on top.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,185,430 times
Quote:
The rice cooker is a convenience item for me really. Saves me firing up the stove or having to watch anything and it comes out perfect every time... that and it was like 20 bucks. As for the crock pot most of my recipes don't involve soup or stock as the crock pot already retains all the moisture of the food anyway. I can put in beef/chicken and vegetables with no liquid and end up with plenty of liquid in the end.

I do like the idea of a bread maker though. I'm not a huge bread fan normally but fresh bread is a whole different story.

I never understood why people added water or other liquids in the crockpot. Then they wonder why their food comes out nasty and inedible, lol.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:30 AM

21,117 posts, read 18,929,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
I never understood why people added water or other liquids in the crockpot. Then they wonder why their food comes out nasty and inedible, lol.
Mine doesn't come out nasty or inedible.

Braising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Braising relies on heat, time, and moisture to break down the tough connective tissue collagen in meat, making it an ideal way to cook tougher cuts. Many classic braised dishes such as coq au vin are highly evolved methods of cooking tough and otherwise unpalatable foods. Pressure cooking and slow cooking (e.g., crockpots) are forms of braising.
I cook three to four pounds of meat with one cup of broth.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM

501 posts, read 613,210 times
I am 52 now, and saw my first electric "rice cooker" when I was in my early 20s. I was in Hawaii where I'd stay with my aunt, and one of her asian friends had one. I couldn't even find one easily then on the mainland when I got home (no internet to search, and not as popular here in Oregon, evidently, as in Hawaii!). But I thought it was a splendid appliance even back then.

Use it almost every day. Love my crockpot too. Yep, if those two were the only appliances I had, I could live well Well, only if I also had my espress machine as well, which I've had for > a decade (we live remotely, and if I didn't have that, I wouldn't be enjoying multiple daily lattes, yummm). I even hauled it in our camper to horse shows and camping trips. That thing paid for itself in short order.

I did buy a pressure cooker, and marveled at how fast it was. However, I just don't have the same stockpile of recipes for it that I do for my crockpot, and so I feel limited right now. It is a different style of cooking, but I think if I could find some good recipes, I'd use it a ton more.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:23 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,368,700 times
Love the crock! If I had to, I could eat like a king with just a crock, good toaster oven and a small micro.

Never had a rice cooker, but I'll I'm sure I'll pick one up someday, sounds handy if they are not hard to clean.

My fav kitchen item is my bag sealer! It is a HUGE money saver for me. I don't bother with the fancy bag refills, I just use the cheap store brand bags for most things. Pretty much eliminates the need to buy ziploc bags.

The best thing about them however is resealing original product bags/packages like cereal, pasta, snacks, meats, cheese, or whatever. You can open a bag of chips, eat some and resealing, it's like a new bag every time. Most dry foods will taste fresh almost indefinately. Huge time saver too.

Most people stare at me blankly when I rave about sealers, but I think every house should have one. It really is a life changing appliance. You can also find them used for next to nothing.

My other favs are silicone spatulas (discovered them recently and now use them as just about everything but a ladle, amazing), wand blenders (cheap and handy) and the old-fashioned "over the cup" one-piece citrus juicers (big juicers are a pain to clean, and nothing beats cold, fresh OJ or lemonade!).

Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 PM

16,092 posts, read 11,380,275 times
Got a blender for a wedding gift tried it didn't like it and was a pain to clean. It had a bonus mini food processor that came with it I tried that out and loved it. It sits on the base of my blender on the counter top and used almost daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink