Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:33 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,283,744 times

Advertisements

Of course people love it! You can be assured that your meal will taste the same every single time you go to a Friday's, no matter where you are. They don't have chefs, but rather re-heaters. All their stuff comes fully prepared, and sometimes frozen. So, all they do in the kitchen is either microwave it or heat it. I'm not a fan, but I can see why people are. Consistency, coupled with really bad for you food, is bound to bring repeat customers! America thrives on massive amounts of really bad for you food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,734,844 times
Friday's was a meet-market when they opened in SoCal about thirty years ago. Didn't know they were still around.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:39 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,546,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I have TGI Friday's in the same mental category as Olive Garden, Chili's, Macaroni Grill, and the like. Which is just 1/2 notch above Denny's, Sizzler's and Coco's.

My understanding is that relatively none of the food is actually prepared in the restaurants' kitchens - the food arrives already prepared and they just heat and assemble. Obviously this doesn't apply to salads, but you get the drift. It's all about QC and consistency.

Barf.
I worked at a TGIF a long time ago in college and nearly everything was prepared in house except the desserts. All dressings and marinades were made on premises too.

It was actually the cleanest kitchen of any restaurant I've ever worked at too, including Mortons. They were very anal about cleanliness and consistency.

That said, their food is ok. Nothing special.

Old 04-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Of course people love it! You can be assured that your meal will taste the same every single time you go to a Friday's, no matter where you are. They don't have chefs, but rather re-heaters. All their stuff comes fully prepared, and sometimes frozen. So, all they do in the kitchen is either microwave it or heat it. I'm not a fan, but I can see why people are. Consistency, coupled with really bad for you food, is bound to bring repeat customers! America thrives on massive amounts of really bad for you food.
I my experience, I worked there for over a year, that is not true.

No, they don't have chefs, they have cooks and everything is the same recipe so all they have to do is learn the recipe., but I never saw anything that was frozen and reheated. And I spent a lot of time in the walk-in cooler trying to cool off in the summer!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I my experience, I worked there for over a year, that is not true.

No, they don't have chefs, they have cooks and everything is the same recipe so all they have to do is learn the recipe., but I never saw anything that was frozen and reheated. And I spent a lot of time in the walk-in cooler trying to cool off in the summer!
Hmm, that's interesting! Did you recently work there? Maybe a few years back they did actually make the food! I know someone that works there now and they said everything is in delivered frozen and just needs to be reheated. Same goes for Pizza Hut. I know someone that works there and she said they get the pizza shipped in and just put it on a conveyor belt to heat. If you notice, there are the same number of pepperoni slices on each pie. That's not a coincidence! But, I'll be honest...Pizza Hut beats 90% of the horrible pizza places here in San Diego. Oh, how I miss my East coast pizza!

Old 04-03-2010, 12:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,890,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Friday's was a meet-market when they opened in SoCal about thirty years ago. Didn't know they were still around.
I discovered the place in the early 80s. The food back then was wonderful. The menu then was HUGE.

Today it seems more "chain restaurant" than a unique place to go and eat and get a drink. The unique ambiance is missing - like an Applebee's with the focus more on drinking, in my opinion with the restaurants in California. I no longer frequent them.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Hmm, that's interesting! Did you recently work there? Maybe a few years back they did actually make the food! I know someone that works there now and they said everything is in delivered frozen and just needs to be reheated. Same goes for Pizza Hut. I know someone that works there and she said they get the pizza shipped in and just put it on a conveyor belt to heat. If you notice, there are the same number of pepperoni slices on each pie. That's not a coincidence! But, I'll be honest...Pizza Hut beats 90% of the horrible pizza places here in San Diego. Oh, how I miss my East coast pizza!
No it was awhile ago, two of my servers where I work now used to work there pretty recently (w/in the last two years). I'll ask them tonight.

I know Pizza Hut switched to frozen. Their pizza used to be so good too! I remember we went on a Girl Scouts field trip to PH in the second grade and all got to make our own pizzas when everything was fresh. Now it sucks!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

I know Pizza Hut switched to frozen. Their pizza used to be so good too! I remember we went on a Girl Scouts field trip to PH in the second grade and all got to make our own pizzas when everything was fresh. Now it sucks!
I'll admit it, even though I know it's frozen and filled with who knows what, their stuffed crust pizza is really good! At least they got consistency down. You can get the same tasting pizza anywhere you go and that's bound to bring repeat customers!

Now that you mention it, I'm almost positive the place I went to on a school trip was a PH as well. We also made our own pizzas, which was quite exciting for a 3rd grader!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
I'll admit it, even though I know it's frozen and filled with who knows what, their stuffed crust pizza is really good! At least they got consistency down. You can get the same tasting pizza anywhere you go and that's bound to bring repeat customers!

Now that you mention it, I'm almost positive the place I went to on a school trip was a PH as well. We also made our own pizzas, which was quite exciting for a 3rd grader!
Now that I think about it there were boys there so it musta' been a school field trip and not Girl Scouts. LOL! Did you go to St. Marys by any chance?

Old 04-03-2010, 01:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,118,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I don't like any of the franchised restaurants like TGIF, Applebees, Chili's, etc. They all taste the same and the food isn't that great. I prefer the family owned restaurant, especially the ethic foods restaurants.
Of course it does. They just back the Sysco truck and unload their entire menu. Joe's Crabshack, Landry's, they all taste like the back of a Sysco Truck to me. (So does Schwans, by the way).

I love independent restaurants. There are always a few good ones around, you have to search them out. Ethnic is very very good. LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink