Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 05:32 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,519 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking for anything fancy with a lot of levels and implements, I just want something that steams evenly and fast, plus one that is EASY to clean.

Anyone have any recommendations? My old black and decker steamer died last week and I want to purchase another one today. The B&D steamer was okay but it was a little bulky and so-so on ease of cleaning.

I do want it to be an electric steamer and not one that has to be put on the stove. Plus, I don't want it to be primarily a rice steamer; strictly for veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
Well I'm not sure if you would want the Richard Simmons model

YouTube - Richard Simmons' Exploding Steamer

Old 04-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

YouTube - Richard Simmons' Exploding Steamer

LOL!!! I ended up buying a simple Rival steamer that works really well.

Look ma, no flames!!!!

Old 04-04-2010, 10:04 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
LOL!!! I ended up buying a simple Rival steamer that works really well.
Which model did you get? I've been looking for one too

Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,243,831 times
I just bought a wire basket at the dollar store, bowl shaped, and it fits just above the rim of my large soup pot. I put a little water into the bottom and dump the vegetables into it and put the lid on, takes just a few minutes. Then I can dump the water out, put the vegetables back into the hot pot and add whatever sauces or butter, salt and pepper, that I need. Don't spend over $1. Well, maybe $2.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I'll have to look at it when I get home. It's the basic model, only 20 bucks, but like I said it works very well. I'll post the model later.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Here ya go!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,008 times
Quote:
What a gem!

I'm with Dave and Bobilee above. I have several of the wire baskets and the bamboo steamers. Works for me. Simple and cheap.....and they don't take up too much cabinet space.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
I just bought a wire basket at the dollar store, bowl shaped, and it fits just above the rim of my large soup pot. I put a little water into the bottom and dump the vegetables into it and put the lid on, takes just a few minutes. Then I can dump the water out, put the vegetables back into the hot pot and add whatever sauces or butter, salt and pepper, that I need. Don't spend over $1. Well, maybe $2.
That works!

However, if you'd like to steam your veggies in the microwave, try a silicone steamer. Yeah, it costs more, but it works perfectly every time. I pile in a ton of broccoli or whatever, put the lid on (which has tiny vent holes), nuke it on high for a few minutes, and voila! Yummy veggies!

Old 04-15-2010, 04:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
That works!

However, if you'd like to steam your veggies in the microwave, try a silicone steamer. Yeah, it costs more, but it works perfectly every time. I pile in a ton of broccoli or whatever, put the lid on (which has tiny vent holes), nuke it on high for a few minutes, and voila! Yummy veggies!
I use a different kind of microwave steamer - a harder plastic one that was fairly inexpensive (from Bed, Bath, Beyond or Linens and More before they bankrupted). The one you have sounds cool.

Whichever kind you find out there, a microwave steamer is such an easy thing that I'd never go back to steaming any other way. I second "yummy vegetables"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink