Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,027 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart (as well as famous Mom&Pops) is in business of charging whatever price customers would bear. And customers would bear a lot if there are no other stores in sight Whatever stuff I buy (food mostly) at WM is always in stock, prices went up. I didn't even know that the stuff people complain about here was ever on WM shelves. As for me, WM carries way too much of differently packaged, more or less identical, foodstuff on the shelves (mostly blandly tasting, highly processed crap too, if not for salt, spices and corn syrup). There is NO common sense need for all that McBonanza on shelves if not for marketing tricks.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:23 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
One. Great value cookies taste like cardboard with alot of sugar.
If they want to reduce overhead, tell the truck drivers to quit idling the engines at truck stops and at the docks.
Turning off the engines at a truck stop is like telling someone to turn off their ac/heat in their house... those guys have to sleep in there. C'mon man....

As far as the docks they are only there a few minutes... drop, hook up to an empty, and go...

I agree with the great value cookies except for one: the Devils Food Cookies. Could eat a whole box of them...

Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Walmart employee for 10 years? Management?
You ARE the answer person. Tell us all why Walmart s*cks.
Yes, 10 years. Was in management but decided to get out of it, I make nearly as much as most assistant managers per hour anyways. Why have all the hassle when I don't need it...

Walmart might suck for you but not for me... shop somewhere else if you don't like it. Just like a meat market, a bakery, a restaurant... if you don't like it don't take your business there.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Wal-Mart (as well as famous Mom&Pops) is in business of charging whatever price customers would bear. And customers would bear a lot if there are no other stores in sight Whatever stuff I buy (food mostly) at WM is always in stock, prices went up. I didn't even know that the stuff people complain about here was ever on WM shelves. As for me, WM carries way too much of differently packaged, more or less identical, foodstuff on the shelves (mostly blandly tasting, highly processed crap too, if not for salt, spices and corn syrup). There is NO common sense need for all that McBonanza on shelves if not for marketing tricks.
Shopping at Walmart is mostly strategy... dry goods are usually a dollar or so cheaper than most supermarkets, i.e. cereal, tide, crackers, etc. One of the best ways to find the best value is to look at the unit price in the orange square on the price label and compare it to other brands.

Not many of us who work there buy the meat, its horrible, I get that at the meat market or Publix.

I don't care for most of the produce, I get that at Publix.

Great value items are iffy unless its paper plates, sugar, etc. something thats hard to screw up.

Sams Choice items however are usually excellent and are top notch, for example a bag of collossal pistachio's.

A lot of store brand items are made by the same company they are sitting next to. For example, special kitty canned cat food and old roy dog food are made by DelMonte.

The health and beauty items are also excellent, many made by the big companies. At the factories, once a quota for a certain brand is met the labels/containers are simply switched and the production line goes on.

None of the great value/sams choice/equate products will tell you who actually manufactured the product... it will just say "marketed by walmart stores inc.".

Walmarts brand of paint is actually grade 1 Sherman Williams paint... and they put something extra in it to make it more scrubbable on your walls...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town&Country View Post
A lot of store brand items are made by the same company they are sitting next to. For example, special kitty canned cat food and old roy dog food are made by DelMonte.

The health and beauty items are also excellent, many made by the big companies. At the factories, once a quota for a certain brand is met the labels/containers are simply switched and the production line goes on.

None of the great value/sams choice/equate products will tell you who actually manufactured the product... it will just say "marketed by walmart stores inc.".

Walmarts brand of paint is actually grade 1 Sherman Williams paint... and they put something extra in it to make it more scrubbable on your walls...
Wow T&C, I feel like I'm in a back alley somewhere furtively turning my head and hoping we won't be found out . Ya got the goods?? Nothing like a little insider info . Thanks.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:46 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I think if the WM "superstores" keep cutting back on their food product selection they will save some money at first, but they will lose all the ground they originally gained from area supermarkets. It's getting so you can't even complete a shopping list.
Agree. Seems like they are morphing into Target. While Target is morphing even quicker into Wal-mart, now that Target has "cold" items and so many more grocery items. Hmm.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Quote:
shop somewhere else if you don't like it.
And, I do. Some people love Walmart, but for some communities, they are the worst thing that can and did, happen to a small town.
$1.47 a pound at Walmart for golden del. apples, and only $0.99 a pound at my local Shur-Save grocery, same item, who do you think gets my money? Save money, live better? I doubt that.
Food-Liquor-Water

Bullock's employs young school aged boys and girls to bag and cart the groceries you've purchased to your vehicle for you, plus, Bullock's has a full service meat department, the old time style, where a person can buy whatever they want, and it doesn't cost the consumer an arm and a leg.
Walmart should GET OUT of the GROCERY business and go back to selling durable goods.
Quote:
dry goods are usually a dollar or so cheaper than most supermarkets, i.e. cereal, tide, crackers, etc
Not so, DOLLAR GENERAL and FAMILY DOLLAR are fierce competitors, and usually cut WALMART'S throat.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
Why are you complaining about walmart if you don't shop there?

Old 04-06-2010, 06:10 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Why are you complaining about walmart if you don't shop there?
You have to ignore most of the Walmart bashing, especially that which comes from people who do not shop there.

I have a friend who gets paid by a certain organization to go on-line and trash Walmart. He gets paid good money for it.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
And, I do. Some people love Walmart, but for some communities, they are the worst thing that can and did, happen to a small town.
$1.47 a pound at Walmart for golden del. apples, and only $0.99 a pound at my local Shur-Save grocery, same item, who do you think gets my money? Save money, live better? I doubt that.
Food-Liquor-Water

Bullock's employs young school aged boys and girls to bag and cart the groceries you've purchased to your vehicle for you, plus, Bullock's has a full service meat department, the old time style, where a person can buy whatever they want, and it doesn't cost the consumer an arm and a leg.
Walmart should GET OUT of the GROCERY business and go back to selling durable goods.
Not so, DOLLAR GENERAL and FAMILY DOLLAR are fierce competitors, and usually cut WALMART'S throat.
Actually, you should continue to shop at Bullock's... Walmart never advertised a full service meat market.

A lot of DG and FD is near end date... they aren't a threat. Like I said before, shop where you get the best deals, no need to be bitter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink