U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 10:46 AM

10,667 posts, read 21,340,667 times

Advertisements

Would anyone happen to have the McCall's Cooking School Binders? I misplaced the Ham & Scalloped potaoes recipe from binder 2 in the Meats section. I know what the ingredients are but I'm not sure of how much milk to use with it. I've tried other scalloped potato recipes from the net & it didn't turn out the same.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:06 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
Is this the recipe you are looking for?

7 Servings
Measure Ingredient
6 pounds Fully cooked bone-in 1/2 ham
3 pounds Potatoes;pared & sliced thin
2 tablespoons Flour
⅛ teaspoon Pepper
⅛ teaspoon Paprika
2¼ cup Milk
4 Onions, thinly sliced, med
¼ cup Brown sugar; packed
2 tablespoons Honey or corn syrup
3 teaspoons Salt
3 tablespoons Butter or margarine
½ teaspoon Dry mustard
Paprika
Preheat oven to 325F. Wipe ham with damp paper towels. Place ham on rack in shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, 1 1/4 hours. Place potatoes, onions, and 2 teaspoons salt in large sauce-pan; cover with water. Bring to boiling and boil gently 5 minutes, or until potatoes are just tender. Drain. Melt butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add flour, I teaspoon salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk, Bring to gentle boil, stirring constantly; boil gently 3 minutes. Set sauce aside. Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400F. Mix brown sugar, honey, and mustard; pat mixture on ham. Insert meat thermometer in center of ham, away from bone. Place ham in center of 3-quart, shallow baking dish or shallow casserole, Spoon drained potato mixture around ham. Pour sauce over potato mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 130F and sauce is bubbling. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Thank you so much for adding the recipe; that's the only one I could find online and not the one I was looking for. I just found it on ebay - it's called Succulent Ham & Scalloped Potatoes.

The recipe was 4 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of spicy brown mustard; no paprika.
It was a really good recipe - when you used a smoked ham; then arranged the ham with potatoes around it in the baking dish, the ham smoking cooked into the potatoes.

Once I get the card from ebay I will add the recipe here. I'm also going to make sure I scan it and save as a Word file. lol I know I scanned it years ago; but I can't find my scan

Happy Easter

Old 04-04-2010, 01:20 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,249,072 times
Happy Easter to you also. Enjoy your dinner. I did have the binder at one time; just don't know what happened to it.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:27 AM

The binder has been pretty worthless to me; that was the only recipe that I used and why it wasn't in the binder. lol

Old 11-29-2014, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
Default succulent ham and scalloped potatoes

I have it. Just email me and I will send a picture for you

Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,006 times
Could you email me that mcalls scaloped potatoes and ham recipe? I too have lost that recipe in NY step by step mcalls cooking book and want to make that now.
My email
[email]d.hodg@hotmail.com[/email]
My name is Dianne

Old 12-26-2016, 05:00 PM

Location: Its easy to be a perfectionist when someone else is doing all the work.
2,232 posts, read 5,460,733 times
Is this it?

https://vintagerecipecards.com/2011/...oped-potatoes/

BAKED HAM & SCALLOPED POTATOES

Ingredients
6-lb fully cooked bone-in half ham
3lb potatoes, pared and thinly sliced
4 medium onions, thinly sliced
3 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon paprika
2 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons honey or corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Paprika
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Wipe ham with damp paper towels. Place ham on rack in shallow roasting pan.
2. Bake, uncovered, 1 1/4 hours.
3. Place potatoes, onions and 2 teaspoons salt in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to boiling and boil gently 5 minutes; or until potatoes are just tender. Drain.
4. Melt butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Add flour, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, and paprika, and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to gentle boil, stirring constantly; boil gently 3 minutes. Set sauce aside.
5. Remove ham from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°. Mix brown sugar, honey, and mustard; pat mixture on ham. Insert meat thermometer in center of ham, away from bone.
6. Place ham in center of 3-quart, shallow baking dish or shallow casserole. Spoon drained potato mixture around ham. Pour sauce over potato mixture. Sprinkle potatoes with paprika.
7. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 130° and sauce is bubbling.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.

© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. Printed in U.S.A.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:08 PM

13,382 posts, read 21,932,788 times
I loved McCalls Cooking School - my mom had a subscription in the 80s and I remember learning how to make things from that feature in each issue. The photos really helped. The best dish, the one everyone kept asking me to make again and again was the bread pudding. It was served with crème anglaise but I only bothered with that extra measure the first time I made the pudding.

Wow, memory lane. I stopped making the puddings in the 90s, I'm going to go see if the recipe is online somewhere.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:53 PM

Cecilia, not the same one. I'll try to upload it tomorrow unless I find it on my cell. I ended up finding mine, scanned it as a photo and pdf so I wouldn't lose it again lol. Made it yesterday, its always a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink