Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:09 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times

Advertisements

I'm shocked that they didn't include San Diego! We have they in a different part of town, all year long! We have fresh produce all year long, unlike most places. Fresh, local strawberries have been here since February! I like the Union Square one in NYC, but it really has nothing on Hillcrest and Little Italy in San Diego! I've been to 9 of these and while they are nice, I wouldn't classify them as best!

America's Best Farmers' Markets - Articles - Travel + Leisure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
We've got a hole in the wall right up the street I frequent. It is nothing special but it is amazing what all grows in San Diego county and surrounding areas year round.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:32 AM

My favorites in San Diego are Little Italy and Hillcrest!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:22 PM

19 posts, read 15,251 times
i love hillcrest, but these markets are ridiculously expensive... fro example 4$ for hommous which you can buy in TJ for 2$. 20$ for same smoekd salmon going for 8$ at TJ...

Old 04-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
i love hillcrest, but these markets are ridiculously expensive... fro example 4$ for hommous which you can buy in TJ for 2$. 20$ for same smoekd salmon going for 8$ at TJ...
I make my own hummus. For $2, you have enough for the entire week and know what's in it! It's one of the easiest things to make too, basically throw everything in the food processor!

I haven't really bought any of the jams/hummus/other prepared stuff at the markets. I go for the produce mostly.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times
Yeah I hit mine for the produce and sometimes the meat. I prefer it for produce and it is usually comparable, if not cheaper. Just as easy to swing in there and grab what I need for the next day or two than to buy from the grocery store.

Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM

19 posts, read 15,251 times
i made my own before too. at the arabic store on el cajon a 6lb jar of chicpeas cooked goes for 6$ i think.... unfortunately i dont have a blender so had to manually mash them. maybe ill invest into one

Old 04-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Yeah I hit mine for the produce and sometimes the meat. I prefer it for produce and it is usually comparable, if not cheaper. Just as easy to swing in there and grab what I need for the next day or two than to buy from the grocery store.
Where do you buy meat? In Little Italy, there's a guy named Dave that sells grass fed meat. It's awesome and you can call in your order and pick it up at the market. The one in Hillcrest is not grass-fed and the guy tried giving me some bs speech about how corn fed is so much better than grass fed! I walked away and haven't talked to him since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
i made my own before too. at the arabic store on el cajon a 6lb jar of chicpeas cooked goes for 6$ i think.... unfortunately i dont have a blender so had to manually mash them. maybe ill invest into one
Food processor is a lot better for that! If you need a very recipe, let me know. Where is this store? My husband is Egyptian and he would love something like that!

Old 04-09-2010, 06:58 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,622,415 times
i'm sorry to say but your fresh local strawberries were probably grown in a greenhouse! I love the wild strawberries I picked up at the Chino Farm stand a couple yrs ago. The SM Farmer's market i heard is one of the best and most of their business actually caters to wholesalers who ship their produce all across the country, even to Washington & NYC.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
i'm sorry to say but your fresh local strawberries were probably grown in a greenhouse!
Nope! They're from Carlsbad and more often than not, I go there to pick my own instead of getting them at the market! We have fields upon fields of strawberries to pick, from Feb-Oct. I don't do greenhouse strawberries and know all about them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink