Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:06 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,364 times

Advertisements

I'm a super plain and picky eater eater. Being raised on mac&cheese, spagghetios and pizza, I haven't been exposed to many different kinds of foods.

I just tried yogurt for the first time a couple of months ago. I'm 19 years old Still haven't had pudding, a salad, many kinds of vegetables in general really.

Anyway, today I tried tuna salad and it was actually pretty good. I was happily surprised, as this was all that I brought along to work in an effort to FORCE myself to try something new.

Anyone else try something new lately? Was it awesome, ok or terrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM

677 posts, read 1,620,364 times
Maybe I spoke too soon. The aftertaste from the tuna is kind of strange Never been a big fish eater..

Old 04-17-2010, 02:19 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Canned tuna? Yeah, it's pretty gross. Try a grilled tuna steak sometime, it's great!

I was a picky eater growing up - partly because I was just picky and partly because my dad is allergic to a lot of stuff so most food, althought homecooked, was very plain. No sauces or seasonings. If I could have, I would have lived on pizza.

I'd never had fish until I was in my 20s and always thought it was gross. Now, I love it! White fish really needs to have some other flavoring on it for me and salmon can sometimes be too strong.

The lastest thing I tried was vanilla cheesecake. I've never tried it because it just sounded gross - cake should be sweet, not savoury like cheese. But I was being stupid because I love cheesy, creamy foods. It was great.

If you like cheesy stuff as well (I noticed you said two of the things you grew up on involve cheese) - try fettucini alfredo. It's more creamy than cheesy but it's kind of the adults version of mac and cheese.

For salads, try a ceasar salad, no anchovies. It can be a little spicy but it's very good and again, the dressing is very creamy so it appeals to my love for cream.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:42 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,621 times
It's funny you bring this up, Mchelle. I've been on a "kick" lately for us to try different things...well, I've always kinda been like that, but you'll see what I'm talk'n about.

Last week we had a fresh/live crawfish boil. Kids liked it. This week I got some live blue crab, live crawfish, and some u12 head on shrimp. Wife wasn't crazy about it, but she did like the shrimp and the crab...at first.(too much "yuk" for her)

I'm kinda big on the kids try'n new stuff. I don't want them to turn their noses up to anything until they try it first. They do a good job, now.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM

8,534 posts, read 7,402,615 times
I tried tofu ~~ the jury is still out on that one. hahaha

Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
Once every week or so, I'll scope out the "exotic"/tropical fruit rack in various local supermarkets, and try a few new things.

Thus far I've rarely been disappointed:

cherimoyas: the most delicious thing you'll ever eat, except for the price.

feijoas: the other most delicious thing you'll ever eat, except for the price.

tamarillos: love 'em, but quirky. had someone described to me - before i tasted one - a potent mixture of blackberry, pomegranate, and tomato flavors (but not all at the same time), i don't think it would have sounded good at all, but i was knocked out.

pepinos: dull solo, great with other things.

guavas: the most obnoxious seeds in anything, anywhere. good stewed, to soften them up and seperate the seeds out. do not bite into this when raw, unless you like going to the dentist. great flavor though.

kumquats, calamondins, pummelos, yuzu: i love citrus, so when i can find some of the more unusual citrus fruits, i will snap them up and find a use for them. kumquats and calamondins (calamondin is a tangerine X kumquat hybrid) are GREAT jam/marmalade/fruit relish/chutney fruits.

passionfruit: i am not a fan. great flavor, and they smell heavenly, but the seeds are a real menace, and the texture is pretty gnarly as well. i think there's a very good reason that passionfruit flavored things, or things that include the juice, are very common, but the actual fruit isn't often seen.

Feijoas: in spite of their expensiveness, and rarity in supermarkets, I once actually got in touch with a reputable orchard in California (the only place in the US they are cultivated), and attempted to order a case of them (they are SO hard to get here). The guy emailed me back, and said that local demand out there was so intense that they rarely had any left over to ship out of state. So beware if you find one, try it, and like it - you may have to wait quite a while before you see them again.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:26 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post

guavas: the most obnoxious seeds in anything, anywhere. good stewed, to soften them up and seperate the seeds out. do not bite into this when raw, unless you like going to the dentist. great flavor though.

passionfruit: i am not a fan. great flavor, and they smell heavenly, but the seeds are a real menace, and the texture is pretty gnarly as well. i think there's a very good reason that passionfruit flavored things, or things that include the juice, are very common, but the actual fruit isn't often seen.
What kind of guava did you have? Usually you can scrape out the seeds and eat the flesh, sans skin. When ripe, guava are VERY soft- as soft as a very ripe peach.

Passion fruit (aka lilikoi) does have lots of annoying seeds, and I usually just eat them! They can be very tart, however. I still love it!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,116 times
just the plain green guavas - i let them sit for a few days, but maybe i should have let them soften up more. the ones we get in supermarkets are hard as a rock.

passionfruit: i may make some attempt at braving the seeds, and the gooey texture. i tried the lilikoi - we sporadically will get them in stores here, and the one cold-hardy passionfruit (maypops) grows wild here, but i always attempted to work around the seeds, which is tough... that flavor is incredible however.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:56 PM

44,351 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Mchelle, I agree with PA2UK about the tuna steak. You should try that! No aftertaste. It is delicious, and has a more meat-like texture than canned tuna.

Re: canned tuna, you might be able to get the fishy taste out of your mouth by eating a bit of bread or cracker afterward, to clean your palate.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:04 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
rutabaga and parsley root in a soup. The rutabaga tasted bland, like potatoes do. The parsley root had a flavor resembling a carrot, but not quite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink