Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 01:40 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else have this problem?? Im not sure if the people that deliver them or the stores jump on the boxes and then pop them back into shape or what but the last 4 times I have bought hard taco shells for our weekly taco night, they have been broken.... grrrrrr
Ive even tried 4 different brands-

ok Im done venting now... has anyone actually wrote the companies and gotten replies? Im thinking of writing the latest one and see what happens....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Make your own with flat corn tortillas and a little bit of peanut oil. It's easy and taste a hell of a lot better than those prefab boxed shells.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:59 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
They do what they can to keep them protected but it's a fragile product. Someone along the way to you is being too careless. Distributor, delivery people, your local merchant , bag boy/girl... You can fry your own....

Old 04-26-2010, 02:02 PM

626 posts, read 1,347,734 times
wow, if I make my own taco shells... I will seriously consider myself a "real cook" for once... hmmmm I will research recipes for that!! Thanks for the idea both of you!!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
Does anybody else have this problem?? Im not sure if the people that deliver them or the stores jump on the boxes and then pop them back into shape or what but the last 4 times I have bought hard taco shells for our weekly taco night, they have been broken.... grrrrrr
Ive even tried 4 different brands-

ok Im done venting now... has anyone actually wrote the companies and gotten replies? Im thinking of writing the latest one and see what happens....
I have only bought hard taco shells a few times, and every time they were broken just like you described. I suggest the soft taco shells instead, just make sure they are fresh as I have even had problems with them being stale sometimes.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
I must have really good luck, we buy hard shells probably twice a month and yeah, there are the occasional one or two broken, but I usually have them all in tact when I get them home. My wife hates the hardshell since she breaks them in like 20 pieces when she is eating them, we just have to refine her technique

I recently wrote a letter (email) to the lifesavers people as everytime I would get them out of the vending machine they would break (obviously since they were falling from the second to top shelf) and they wrote me back telling me to write the owner of the vending machine. I was hoping they would give me free life savors...bummer

Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Hardshell tacos in recent times here have been in good shape generally. If you want buy a pkg of corn tortillas(soft). Put a little oil in a skillet..get it hot ..lay in a tortilla. Let it cook a few seconds then turn it over. Then pick it up with a spatula so it folds in half. if it doesn't stiffen when it cools cook a bit longer on each side. Practice makes perfect.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:52 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,053 times
I agree, making them is a lot better.

It isn't only taco shells. The stores are getting very abusive to all things, toilet paper (I hate putting a roll on the spindle and having it catch every time it goes around when it's used.), cans are dented more, bags and boxes are crushed, etc.. Then they don't bother pricing like they used to.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:54 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Hardshell tacos in recent times here have been in good shape generally. If you want buy a pkg of corn tortillas(soft). Put a little oil in a skillet..get it hot ..lay in a tortilla. Let it cook a few seconds then turn it over. Then pick it up with a spatula so it folds in half. if it doesn't stiffen when it cools cook a bit longer on each side. Practice makes perfect.
There ya go. That's exactly what I do. I use maybe about 1/2 inch of oil in the pan. I also use peanut oil as it is healthier and tastier than that vegetable oil crap. The other thing I do which is optional is sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on the shells for flavor.

Just watch you don't overheat the oil and take care with the hot oil. Otherwise it's just about the easiest thing to do in the kitchen.

I also make my own corn chips the same way by cutting a corn tortilla into 4 pieces.

The other thing I notice is that the homemade shells don't explode into a thousand pieces on the first bite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink