U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2010, 03:22 AM

97,749 posts, read 24,184,286 times
Cilantro is included in what is known as Pico De Gallo a salsa. This salsa goes particularly well with Fajitas... beef or chicken!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 AM

13,039 posts, read 14,526,872 times
I've had quite a few dishes with coriander ( leaves and seeds) in Italy, especially with fish, in fresh salads as a leaves and in sauces too.

My Italian Grand-Father who was a fantastic cook used to make the most delicious Pesto with Fresh coriander leaves. He also used to stuff fish like seabass with fennel and coriander leaves.

I love the stuff I must admit. In summer I eat it as a salad with marinated fish or chicken. And it's fabulous on fresh pasta too.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 AM

19,613 posts, read 11,885,051 times
Ok talked with my mom. Here's her coriander story. Her mother, my Nana used whats called "Foglie di coriandolo". Coriander leaves or Cilantro. No one in my mother family heard the term Cilantro until my mother met my father who is a latino. Thats when the term Cilantro was introducted to the Italian side of my family. My grandmother refused to use the term Cilantro until the day she died. She claimed it was a different variety of coriander than the one she used when growing up in village near the city of Marsala Sicily. She used it quite frequently in seafood dishes. My mother's family didn't make a whole lot of pasta or tomato based dishes when I was growing up. Mainly seafood, chicken and some beef dishes. That's my "ll Foglie di Coriandolo story". Gratzi

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM

252 posts, read 365,929 times
Nice story. Will have to do some looking for dishes that use it now. I have some chicken and fish in my freezer begging to be put in a new dish.

And (to the poster that said I was wrong) the butter thing was just a guess. I honestly haven't crossed any italian recipes that use butter. Lard, yes, but not butter. I remember reading a story long ago about how the original Winnie the Pooh tale had to be changed when it was published in italy because when christopher robin and pooh have "toast and butter" it was the equivalent of burnt bread and vaseline (with the claim that italians at the time used butter for burn treatment, not food) so I just put two and two together and assumed they don't use it. If there are areas that use butter, my bad.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM

38,739 posts, read 35,885,429 times
Because Cilantro tastes terrible and overpowers and destroys the taste of everything it touches.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM

4,892 posts, read 11,629,211 times
you are correct, traditionally italians have used the cilantro for corriander. in fact my father had never "seen" or tasted cilantro itself until he came the US and mistook it for parsley one day. needless to say he realized when he tasted the food that there was something "wrong"...its not a typical Italian flavor---but we use it now!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:59 PM

706 posts, read 851,091 times
Default Do you like cilantro ?

I personally love it, growing up in California we ate it all our lives, however my mother who is from the East Coast, hates it like poison. What do you think

Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 4,982,876 times
Nooooo! I hate cilantro. It makes my mouth water in a most unpleasant way. Ick. Ick! The sad thing is that I love Mexican food, Indian food, and Caribbean food and all of those guys love their fresh cilantro. Ack. Gag! I'm fine with the ground spice but keep the leaf away from me!

Thank you. Hysterics over. You may resume normal programming

BTW, I'm East Coast also but grew up with it and never could handle it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:12 PM

1,925 posts, read 2,071,223 times
It's genetic. Some people have a gene that makes fresh cilantro taste terrible. Or they lack the gene that makes it taste good - I don't remember which.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:15 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,165,057 times
Love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink