U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:39 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times

Advertisements

Have you ever felt 'stuck' in eating the same old favorites time after time? I was feeling that way, so started making an effort to try new foods.

So far this year I've tried (and liked):

Fresh beets
Kale
Quinoa
Millet
Amaranth
Field greens
Black-eyed-peas

And I've tried and didn't like:

Turnips
Rutabaga

Anyone else try something new you've liked and will use again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:49 PM

12,237 posts, read 1,699,674 times
Things I've tried that I would eat again: sushi, hummus, Greek yogurt
Things I won't eat again: brussels sprouts (I've tried them every way I can find and I just can't like them)

Old 04-29-2010, 06:16 PM

25,630 posts, read 30,448,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
Things I won't eat again: brussels sprouts (I've tried them every way I can find and I just can't like them)
Pan fried in bacon grease with crumbled bacon and blue cheese?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

5,372 posts, read 9,868,233 times

I'm with Greytabbie on this..I've never met a brussels sprout I liked either--I think I'll take my bacon grease, crumbled bacon and bleu cheese straight, thank you very much...or over taters would be fine, too.

What is it with those BS's? They're just plain nasty. I like cabbage just fine, but those little mini-guys, yuck...

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,739,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Pan fried in bacon grease with crumbled bacon and blue cheese?
Roasted in the oven with olive oil, s/p, and then sprinkled with parmesan cheese is really good, too!
About the only thing I cant stand is liver and onions.....I will try almost anything once, and thats the only thing that stands out in my mind that gave me the Eeeeewwwwww thing.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 PM

40,228 posts, read 15,193,064 times
I love brussels sprouts! Steamed, with a little butter on top, or halved and sauteed in olive oil and a smidge of seasoned salt. A squeeze of lemon juice is very good on them as well.

I recently bought some orzo for the first time and just made up my own recipe for it. I sauteed it in a skillet with olive oil and a very small amount of butter, then added some chicken stock and water. When it was just about done I tossed in a bunch of bite-sized pieces of fresh asparagus. Turned off the heat and let the asparagus steam in the mixture for a few minutes. It was fabulous!

I also recently tried cooking squid at home for the first time. Sauteed it in olive oil; sprinkled with a bit of Zatarain's blackening seasoning. It came out great. Can't wait to have it again.

(Gee, can you tell I like olive oil?)

Old 04-30-2010, 04:24 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,025,373 times
My comfort zone is pretty wide but I know what you mean. Especially as someone who doesn't particularily enjoy cooking I can often end up cooking similar meals over and over again simply because of ease of preparation and familiarity.

On the other hand if someone else is cooking I will eat pretty much anything ! Literally. Like everyone lese I have things which are not exactly my cup of tea but if you bother ot make it for me then it seems fair to eat it...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,627,593 times
i tried Kibbi last week at a Lebanese festival. the sides i had eaten before, but never the Kibbe. it was like a meatloaf sort of made with lamb and pine nuts. i would eat it again
also we had a Mankoushe (sort of like a pizza) which was very good.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,331,278 times
I have to agree with brussels sprouts. I wanted to like them. I am a big veggie person and will eat any veggie at least once. Brussels sprouts is one that I will never try again. I tasted them for days, lol.

I didn't grow up eating lamb but I've since tried it and like it just okay.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:36 AM

3,904 posts, read 6,200,685 times
Anyone ever tried Rocky Mountain Oyesters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink