Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times

Advertisements

My puter is slow today, so I accidentally posted something twice.....my next message is the good one.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Well, about 1 week ago I got a new "cube-mate" at work. He casually brought up sardines and I said while I had never tried them, I would be open to anything. Sure enough I come into work today and there is a pack of King Oscar Sardines on my desk, with some saltines. I now must try them . Can someone tell me what to expect? I am open to new things, but I am pretty nervous here. Someone help me out, are they good? Are they fishy?

I brought left over pizza for lunch, maybe Ill hold off until then and just stick one on the pizza instead?
Why ruin the pizza?

Better to try them out in a field somewhere.....with a huge wind to blow the smell away....and then take a huge container of Listerne to use afterwards.....

Actually, they are good for you but I hate fish..... My husband eats them, but I make him throw the tin into the OUTSIDE trash IMMEDIATELY after he eats them.....even if they are packed in water, any drop on a counter SMELLS! (I can smell anything 'fish' a mile away and I do not allow fish to be cooked in my house.....EVER! If he wants salmon, he bbq's it. Bacon is cooked outside, too! I like to annoy the neighbors with the bacon smell....let them think somebody is camping out in my back yard.....I cook a lot of packs at one time, 2-3 times a year.....I drain it on paper towels and then put it in a big ziploc bag....and when somebody wants a piece, they wrap it in a paper towel, zap it for @ 10 seconds and there ya go!)

Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Ok, I tried one, not great, not terrible. I think I would like them in a dish moreso than just solo. Maybe in some sort of pasta.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:23 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Are they packed in water or oil?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
It's hard to find sardines or tuna packed in oil these days, (oil has become too expensive). We use Reese's skinless and boneless sardines for a tuna substitute, they are de-gutted also. They are like a can of mini tunas and they actually have some flavor. We use them because albacore tuna can have 40 times more mercury in the meat than sardines and sardines are higher in the good omegas.
Once you start using these types of sardines in place of tuna, you will never go back to tuna again, it will seem flavorless.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
King Oscar sardines are superb.
I quite agree, along with their Kippered Snacks.

My husband turns green and holds his nose whenever I and my otherwise ridiculously finicky daughter decide to dine on them...and he will NOT allow us within 5 ft of him until we've used Listerine (and preferably a few Altoids for good measure).

Old 05-24-2010, 02:35 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
LOVE sardines. And they are supposed to be a good source of calcium, too, I think?

My husband turned me on to them years ago when we were first married. He's half Thai and they eat a bunch of them. He eats them warmed up with sticky white rice. You can eat them straight from the can, though, too, with crackers or on toast.

To me, they taste a little bit like tuna only perhaps a bit stronger. Unless they are in a red sauce, then for some reason the taste is definitely stronger and "fishier". They have many different brands. My husband likes the Crown Prince brand the best I think. The one with the red label. He says it's OK to eat the bones. They're crunchy.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:25 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Are they packed in water or oil?
Olive Oil

Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Olive Oil
Oh, yummy! Them's the best! hee hee

Old 05-24-2010, 04:06 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It's hard to find sardines or tuna packed in oil these days, (oil has become too expensive). We use Reese's skinless and boneless sardines for a tuna substitute, they are de-gutted also. They are like a can of mini tunas and they actually have some flavor. We use them because albacore tuna can have 40 times more mercury in the meat than sardines and sardines are higher in the good omegas.
Once you start using these types of sardines in place of tuna, you will never go back to tuna again, it will seem flavorless.
Good information. Sardines are now going on my shopping list after a sub-par experience with tuna sandwiches today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink