U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:08 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,797,067 times

Advertisements

Need some help from all bartenders. We are in need of a new blender, our one right now has started to smell like the rubber is burning. We make smoothies every morning for breakfast, so we are looking for a blender that can crush ice and frozen fruit on a daily basis. I know we have a few bartenders around these forums. What do you use behind the bar? And what could you suggest to use at home that is under $150?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 08:45 PM

4,270 posts, read 13,966,527 times
I have a Cuisinart blender that I paid $100 for a few years back and use it regularly on smoothies. It crushes ice wonderfully, too and I've had it for a few years. I'm not a bartender but I do love my blender! If you ever saw the movie Enemy of the State with Will Smith, it's the same blender he uses in the scene he has with his wife in the kitchen!

Old 06-17-2007, 05:42 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,168,173 times
I have a L'Equip. I got it on ebay for $60 (normally $150) and LOVE it! I can even make green smoothies with spinach and carrots in it.

Dawn

Old 06-17-2007, 05:58 PM

256 posts, read 391,702 times
I've had both a Waring Blender and an Oster. I preferred the Oster - it lasted longer and crushed ice better. But both of those were a while back. Of the newer ones, now, I would consider Cuisinart or Waring.

No blender or any other home appliance will last forever, but one that is an "upscale" brand like Cuisinart, or Waring or Oster will more likely last longer.

You might check out ratings on Amazon or on buy.com or check Consumer Reports.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 AM

9,949 posts, read 22,170,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I have a L'Equip. I got it on ebay for $60 (normally $150) and LOVE it! I can even make green smoothies with spinach and carrots in it.

Dawn
I started delving into the green smoothies lately. My el cheapo black and decker blender does not blend the celery well at all. Nothing like a gross stringy green smoothie. lol
Does yours blend celery totally? Or does it come out stringy?
I do want to save for a Vitamix blender. They are supposed to be the best..so are they?

Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM

256 posts, read 391,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I started delving into the green smoothies lately. My el cheapo black and decker blender does not blend the celery well at all. Nothing like a gross stringy green smoothie. lol
I do want to save for a Vitamix blender. They are supposed to be the best..so are they?
As to the celery, try chopping it into shorter pieces - even little-bitty pieces. Or de-string it first.

I had totally forgotten about the Vitamix. I've wanted one for years, but even the reconditioned models are beyond my reach. I'll have to check out e-Bay, but I can't imagine someone selling a working Vitamix on e-Bay.

Cheerio!
turtlemom

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*
~*~ Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life.
~*~ Herbert Henry Asquith ~*~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*

Last edited by turtlemom; 06-20-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: forgot to say something

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM

I decided after the taste of that particular smoothie with the celery and kiwi that i'd rather not have it again. If i do go insane someday and forget i made that one before, i will juice the celery first, which leaves no ick behind. lol

I made the "Strawberry field" one today again, and i used extra strawberries which made it taste divine.
The original recipe called for 1 cup of strawberries, i used 2 cups. Plus a half head of romaine lettuce and 2 medium bananas, and 2 cups water. Perfect combo.

I drink a quart of the green smoothies every day and am trying the ones in the book by Victoria Boutenko "Green for life." I make a batch and refrigerate half, then drink the other half in the evening. Favorite so far is the Strawberry field. If blueberries would ever go on sale, i'll try the blueberry pudding recipe.Tomorrow I'm trying the "Freshness" recipe:
1/2 honeydew melon
8 leaves romaine lettuce
2 cups water

I also love honeydew as a juice, so the other half is becoming my breakfast juice.
You aren't supposed to taste the veggies in the smoothies, only the fruit.

Turtlemom, i was flipping through channels late one night and I noticed a new blender put out by Jack LaLanne. It's supposed to do everything a Vitamix does, blend difficult veggies til smooth, but the blender also has a heating mechanism, so you can also create hot soups right in the blender. That looks very interesting.
I already have a Jack LaLanne juicer that i happily use every single day. I don't remember the price on the one on the infomercial, but all the recipes they were creating made me hungry.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:00 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,168,173 times
Oh, gosh, you are asking the wrong person. I don't put celery in mine.

I do make green smoothies with spinach though and put in lemongrass, which is stringy, and it doesn't come out stringy.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

Old 06-22-2007, 02:53 AM

Ok, so i need a new blender.
My green smoothies keep coming out looking like i scooped up a bunch of swamp water. I've been calling them "swamp coolers." lol
Everyone else in the house is avoiding them like the plague.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:00 AM

15,338 posts, read 27,525,235 times
We have a Cuisinart and it does well; we crush a lot of ice and make a lot of smoothies. I really, really want to get a Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink