U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,472 posts, read 12,692,446 times
Reputation: 16263

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Because my husband is not a red meat eater (silly, silly man ), it's a rare occasion for me to buy a steak for myself.

I save my red meat eating for restaurants, where they know how to do things right. Which brings me to my question...

I bought a "petite sirloin steak" and would like to cook it tonight. I don't want to grill it. I also don't want to make a big deal of this, meaning that I don't want a sauce, etc...

The steak is about 1/2" thick.

I figured I'd rub a bit of olive oil on it, with a bit of salt and pepper, and pan fry it.

OK, OK, here's the question already!!!

At what temp do I pan fry it?
How long on each side?

I'd like it to be medium -- leaning more towards rare than well-done.

Any insight you can give me so that I don't ruin a perfectly good piece of meat will be much appreciated.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 05-02-2010 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Heading to the NW, 4 sure.
4,466 posts, read 3,793,644 times
Reputation: 8518
You could also broil it. otherwise hot fire about 2 min each side depending on thickness.
I do them this way a lot. Rare..
HW
Hope it was good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,472 posts, read 12,692,446 times
Reputation: 16263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
You could also broil it. otherwise hot fire about 2 min each side depending on thickness.
I do them this way a lot. Rare..
HW
Hope it was good.
Thanks HW. I updated the post -- the steak is about 1/2" thick, maybe a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 AM
 
1,675 posts, read 2,666,729 times
Reputation: 2054
Really tough to go by time on the first one. Too many variables. Med. rare is a good idea, med. well to well makes that cut very tough. Try go'n by color and don't worry about over flip'n. The best way to know when it's done is to make a small cut in it to see unless you have an instant read therm.

Another idea is to brown it in a pan that can go in the oven. When you have the color you like, put in a 300-350* oven and go probably 5 min? Then check and if it needs more check accordingly.

What do you have against grill'n?

Grab a beer and do it on the grill, fart, burp, and growl at the neighbors. Gotta make memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,472 posts, read 12,692,446 times
Reputation: 16263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Really tough to go by time on the first one. Too many variables. Med. rare is a good idea, med. well to well makes that cut very tough. Try go'n by color and don't worry about over flip'n. The best way to know when it's done is to make a small cut in it to see unless you have an instant read therm.

Another idea is to brown it in a pan that can go in the oven. When you have the color you like, put in a 300-350* oven and go probably 5 min? Then check and if it needs more check accordingly.

What do you have against grill'n?

Grab a beer and do it on the grill, fart, burp, and growl at the neighbors. Gotta make memories.
I just hate for the grill to be cranked up for just one piece of meat -- my husband is having leftover Peruvian chicken from last night.

And he's the farter. Oh, wait, the dog is apparently the farter.

Funny that you should mention beer -- my husband brews his own (he's a beer freak) and I don't even drink the stuff. I hate the taste of alcohol, which greatly disturbs my beer-making husband.

I'm going to follow your meat-making instructions and will definitely go by color. Thanks, Cap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 10:57 AM
 
9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times
Reputation: 9422
Why not broil the steak in the oven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,472 posts, read 12,692,446 times
Reputation: 16263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Why not broil the steak in the oven?
Yeah, definitely an option. I just know that some people swear by pan frying, and I've never tried that before.

Also, it's a scorcher of a day, and I figured that pan frying wouldn't heat the kitchen as much as the broiler would. But, I guess, it would be for so little time that it wouldn't really make a difference in the heat factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,232 posts, read 10,012,860 times
Reputation: 6529
cook it hot hot hot. in an iron skillet. at half an inch thick not more than about 5 minutes per side......let it rest for about 10 minutes. Hot pink in the middle, almost crunchy on the outside. sprinkle with a seasoned salt when it comes off the skillet, splash some very dry vermouth over it. top with a herbed butter (herb Provence, and real butter), and savor each bite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:17 PM
 
1,675 posts, read 2,666,729 times
Reputation: 2054
There is also the touch method for check'n doneness. Kinda works good enough.

Lightly touch index finger tip to thumb tip, feel your thumb muscle...that is rare. middle, med rare to med. ring med to med well. pinky is dog food.


Throw some veggies on the grill w/the steak, heat up J's chick on there too.

But if ya haven't tried in the pan do it. Here's a vid to help.


YouTube - Cookalong Live | How To Cook A Steak | Gordon Ramsay on Channel 4

It's even a sirloin. hope it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal
12,472 posts, read 12,692,446 times
Reputation: 16263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
There is also the touch method for check'n doneness. Kinda works good enough.

Lightly touch index finger tip to thumb tip, feel your thumb muscle...that is rare. middle, med rare to med. ring med to med well. pinky is dog food.


Throw some veggies on the grill w/the steak, heat up J's chick on there too.

But if ya haven't tried in the pan do it. Here's a vid to help.


YouTube - Cookalong Live | How To Cook A Steak | Gordon Ramsay on Channel 4

It's even a sirloin. hope it helps.
1.29pm and I'm already salivating. Thanks for the Ramsay rules!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top