Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:27 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times

Advertisements

horse meat is sweeter than beef~ leanness depends on conditioning of animal.

Since you asked Dog is also quite good, cats definitely not tasty. Monkey compares to horse. snake depends on breed of snake, most are good. *** and ox very much like beef. have also done pork, rabbit, porcupine,lion,squirel,rat and various fowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 05:33 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
horse meat is sweeter than beef~ leanness depends on conditioning of animal.

Since you asked Dog is also quite good, cats definitely not tasty. Monkey compares to horse. snake depends on breed of snake, most are good. *** and ox very much like beef. have also done pork, rabbit, porcupine,lion,squirel,rat and various fowl.
Tongue in cheek-LOL

Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Horse meat is delicious , especially the Fillet, like a very lean beef, slightly sweet.

There are still quite a few horse butchers in Italy, France, , Germany, Poland, Switzerland, Hungary, Iceland and many other countries.
Agree completely. There are several meatpackers in Canada who process horsemeat and ship it abroad to France.

It is mighty fine eating.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Never had horse meat. I've had horses for a good part of my life, but then again I've had cows before too and I eat beef. Idk, I don't think I'd try it. Might make me a hypocrite, but I've never denied being one.

Buffalo is good tho!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:46 AM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,606 times
I like buffalo. Very lean and tasteful. I have never had horse though. Here I go again--but there is something wrong with eating Black Beauty!!

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Buffalo, Beefalo, and beef are my three red meats. And speaking of beef there is a brisket just waiting for the charcoal to get right. I just can't imagine eating the horse the 4H kids barrel race on.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:11 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,561 times
Never heard of people eating horses, kinda grosses me out.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,976,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
Sorry-being a horse lover this is very offensive.I want to save them from slaughter plus a big problem is non performing race horses being sent for slaughter.
American failure to allow the slaughter of unwanted horses has condemned thousands of them to death by starvation. Our police department is inundated by calls of horses being abused.....where the abuse is simply a lack of water and feed. Unfortunately the sale barns can't sell them.......they ran some though a few weeks ago that were sold for $0.15 a pound.....young healthy, unbroke.......If they were able to be sold for canners, they would get $.50 a pound or more for a horse.......and horses wouldn't starve painfully to death. Imagine a horse lying there in the dirt, unable to get up, his legs twitching, heart racing, and have the vet say "there's nothing we can do for him, he is dying of starvation."

Funny how your being a horse lover causes more pain and suffering than than a so called "cruel" slaughter house causes.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:50 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,248,814 times
Ah, Goodpasture, you're bangin' your head against the wall. I do it daily and have the knots to prove it! Having rescued on my own in the past and now being affiliated with a large equine rescue you'd THINK I know what i'm talking about....

On topic tho'.....I make a mean buffalo chili (without beans, of course!). I'd like to try beefalo, but I don't think it's available commercially around here.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
American failure to allow the slaughter of unwanted horses has condemned thousands of them to death by starvation. Our police department is inundated by calls of horses being abused.....where the abuse is simply a lack of water and feed. Unfortunately the sale barns can't sell them.......they ran some though a few weeks ago that were sold for $0.15 a pound.....young healthy, unbroke.......If they were able to be sold for canners, they would get $.50 a pound or more for a horse.......and horses wouldn't starve painfully to death. Imagine a horse lying there in the dirt, unable to get up, his legs twitching, heart racing, and have the vet say "there's nothing we can do for him, he is dying of starvation."

Funny how your being a horse lover causes more pain and suffering than than a so called "cruel" slaughter house causes.
Agreed!

If you can't take care of a horse, at least be kind enough to let it die without suffering. I've seen entirely too many horses starve to death to think that banning them from the slaughterhouse is the answer to their problems.

I can't see myself eating a horse because I've been friends with too many of them, but if I had to let one go I'd rather put it down myself than let it starve to death.

On the other hand, buffalo is pretty tasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink