Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:15 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times

Advertisements

Growing up we would eat together in the kitchen, except for holidays and birthdays when we'd go into the dining room. Sometimes the TV was on (for some odd reason my dad likes Access Hollywood), sometimes not.

Now I typically eat on the coffee table with the TV on. Sometimes my roommate joins me, but we're usually on different schedules. We do have a dining table (no table in the kitchen, and just a big large dining/living area), but it's usually covered in my school papers. If company's over we might use it, but as we only have 2 chairs that can be problematic...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 12:25 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Gowing up Mon - Fri we ate in the dinnig room at 5:30. My dad come home from work at about 5:20 everyday. We all talked and had a nice time. Mom cooked, older sister did the dishes and cleared the table and swept the floor. On the weekends we were mostly on our own with a sandwich or pizza- something easy.

Now Mon-Thur it is just me and the girls, age 11 and 2, hubby works until 10pm. We eat at the kitchen table anywhere from 4:30 to 6:00. Something easy Raviolli and a salad or a chicken casserole. Fri, Sat, and Sun we all eat together at 6:00 with hubby. We have a bigger meal when dad is home. Meatloaf, pork chops, as my husnand says -no chick food must have meat- trying to sound like a caveman No TV, just sit around relax and talk. My 11 yr old helps clean up Fri, Sat and Sun.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
When I was growing up, the whole family ate supper together (5 of us). No other activities were allowed at suppertime. We ate together at the kitchen table. On special occasions, or when we had company, we ate at the dining room table. Proper dining etiquette was a must. (I'll always be grateful that Mom taught us how to eat properly.)

If we kids were not home when supper was ready, mom would stand on the front porch and holler for us. Every kid on the block knew his or her mom's dinner call! We'd rush home to find a homemade, hot meal on the table. It was a wonderful time of family chatter and catching up on everyone's day. Once in a while, though, one of us kids would be in trouble for something, and then it was eerily quiet!

Now, I'm on my own and eat from a TV tray in the rec room.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:38 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
We eat together (5 of us; 2 parents, 2 teens and a smaller one!) every evening around the kitchen/dining table - no TV - but there's music on the CD player most evenings. We haven't eaten a meal in front of the TV for years - seems a totally odd thing to do now! But we all enjoy the ritual of the evening meal - even tho it does get loud at times!

Breakfast and lunch is at the table too, but not always all of us as we do different things in the daytime.... and I must admit I take my cereal/toast/sandwich to work with me at the computer.... when no-one is looking!

Growing up - maybe we all ate together when I was younger but from teens on it was a mixture of table-together meals and lonely DIY affairs, as we were all in and out at different times...

Old 05-11-2010, 01:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
I live alone, therefore I eat alone. I love cooking and enjoy my food in front of the TV with an episode of Law & Order: SVU. I only have 9 episodes left on my DVR (previously had 129! )!

When I have one person over, we eat in front of the TV while watching a movie. If I have two or more, we eat at the dining room table. They all usually help me clean the kitchen afterwards, so that's a bonus

Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
All meals here are on a "TV tray"...nice bright green plastic ones - with a compartment for cutlery and another for beverage. Really fancy stuff.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
All meals here are on a "TV tray"...nice bright green plastic ones - with a compartment for cutlery and another for beverage. Really fancy stuff.
And the very best plastic flatware? hee hee

Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
And the very best plastic flatware? hee hee
Oh, absolutely!!!

Old 05-12-2010, 04:05 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Since it's just hubby and I we usually eat in the living room on snack trays while watching the news. Our grown son doesn't eat with us most of the time because after work he heads out to ride his motorcycle or hang with his girl and friends so he eats out.
When the kids were little we ate at the kitchen table and if company came by then we would bring out the large folding table for all to sit,eat,talk,laugh and have a good time.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
When my children were at home, we all ate together at the table. Now that we are empty nesters, DH and I almost always eat in front of the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink