U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,174,193 times

Advertisements

Did you learn to cook when you were growing up? Did you enjoy cooking or resent having to cook as a child?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,729,970 times
My grandma taught me to cook grilled cheeses and scramble eggs when I was very young. To this day, my husband says my scrambled eggs are the best in the world and my grilled cheeses are next to perfect.

When I was a teen, my mom became what she claimed was "disabled" and stopped doing all home-related duties including cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. She spent her days sitting on the couch smoking and watching TV. I had to cook if I wanted to eat. By the time I moved out at 21, I could cook full meals like meat loaf and mashed potatoes, pot roast, etc. My boyfriend at the time showed me how to cook lots of Mexican dishes which have stuck with me since then. I'm happy I learned how to take care of myself and cook at a young age. But I still resent my mom for being a blob and not taking care of her children.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM

8,536 posts, read 6,204,943 times
yes and I loved it.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:32 PM

4,166 posts, read 5,174,193 times
I grew up as an only child and my parents wanted me to be a scholar and more of a boy instead of a girl..... They wouldn't let me cook or clean or even baby-sit...When I got married my husband literally had to teach me how to cook...But surprise...surprise...I turned out to be a pretty creative cook and I enjoy "playing artist" in the kitchen.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:58 PM

252 posts, read 580,755 times
If you count being taught to poach an egg in the microwave, I was taught that.

I was actually taught a lot of food preparation, but not how to cook. I had a mom like redjan (not "disabled" but a "stay at home mom" that would later learn from a neilsen study that she watched tv for 14 hours a day) and anything she hated to do she made us kids do. I scrubbed a lot of potatoes growing up, but it wasn't until I moved out that I had no clue how long it took to bake one. All I ever made growing up was box mac n cheese, frozen pizza, microwave poached eggs, and microwaved hotdogs. I grew up assuming that baked potatoes, broiled steaks, and microwaved canned veggies was a lot of work (the standard meal of my childhood) but now that I taught myself to cook, I'm disappointed to learn that my mom is just really lazy.

Funny thing now that I think about it. When I was very young, my mom canned. Other than scrubbing cucumbers and jars or snapping beans, I don't know a thing about canning either. Maybe someday, if I ever get to have my own little garden, I'll find out that that's rather easy too.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
No. My mother, God bless her and rest her soul, did not have the "cooking gene". That woman could burn Jello. She had other interests. She sewed like a dream and had the greenest of thumbs. But I still have nightmares about her ham and scalloped potatoes. (She never quiet got the idea that the potatoes were supposed to be soft.)

I learned to cook from my grandmother. (Ironically, my mom's mom.) She was the best cook on the planet and could make two potatoes a pound of hamburger and some government cheese something you could serve to the Queen of England. In my teen-age years I started spending my summers with her. I'd sit on a chair in her kitchen and we'd talk while she cooked. She would start dinner at six in the morning because she knew the value of "simmering". All I would do was watch. She never said, "Now take a quarter cup of heavy cream..." I just learned by example.

And I'm a dang good cook myself! Not as good as her, but pretty durned good!!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,248,434 times
my mother didnt want me to cook cause she was worried about the mess. but i always watched--every day. so i guess i learned as a child, but didnt actually do any of it until i was an adult. that helped in a sense, since it wasnt a complete shock and i knew how things needed to look and taste. still it took a while to get good at it.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,416,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No. My mother, God bless her and rest her soul, did not have the "cooking gene". That woman could burn Jello.
Funniest line EVER!

Old 05-17-2010, 04:22 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,186,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I grew up as an only child and my parents wanted me to be a scholar and more of a boy instead of a girl..... They wouldn't let me cook or clean or even baby-sit...When I got married my husband literally had to teach me how to cook...But surprise...surprise...I turned out to be a pretty creative cook and I enjoy "playing artist" in the kitchen.

yep! it should be fun.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,548,010 times
Nope. I'm from the era of the stay at home mom. She did everything. I was still at home while going to college.
I would get up have some coffee & breakfast-go into the shower-come out out and my bed is made. She did everything.
I learned to cook on my own-using cook books and phone calls to my Mom and MIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink