Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
If it's a once in a blue moon dinner, OK, I can see spending $25.00 for dinner and a glass of wine or 2 (which will add up the price). You have to treat yourself at times. But, I have a difficult time spending money (hard earned) eating out. What you pay for one meal, you can buy a weeks worth at the grocery store. But, you do have to treat yourself - we deserve it
Hi I am with you on this one I have a problem spending big bucks on something that is out of your system in four hours.

I will look at the average price on entreee page of menu of a restaurant and determine is it worth it.

Highest I will pay is $15.00 for an entree and those places I will not visit on a regular basis
I prefer restaurants that are within $8 to $12 range for regular buisness.
Soda averages 1.29

If I won a million dollars I still would feel this same way about how much is to much for something that will not last that long.

There is a restaurant nearby the average entree averages 35 to 50 bucks and I will not go there no matter how rave the reviews are. I understand they have no freezer so the food is always fresh but the principle it just food kills me.

I have found this great restaurant the service is phenominal and entrees average 6.99 and the server brings you dinner rolls and cornbread for appetizer and a bowl of soup included in that price The entree includes the meat and 2 vegatables. That is what brings me back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 04:18 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Probably at these chains you are correct that a meal will cost below $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgee View Post
I cant believe the prices I am seeing.
Out here at Olive Garden, TGIF, El Torito, Marie Callendars, Outback, Claimjumpers you can eat with a soft drink type beverage for under $20.

Possibly at Cheesecake Factory or similar places you can spend $20+.

Maybe you are buying an appetizer, salad and meal. Maybe thats why America is obese?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:48 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
But SunnyKayak, I don't think the entire point is "something that will be out of your system in four hours." It's the delight in the consumption, the ambience of the surroundings, and perhaps the company of the ones you cherish. That to some, may be worth the money spent.

Some of the moments that mean the most to me were dining with a loved one. I'd actually pay big bucks to re-live those moments. I'd pay big bucks again to create new memories with the right person. I don't necessarily think it's only the food we're paying for ...it's the overall experience, sometimes.

Oh, and you must have a very efficient digestive system ...four hours??!

Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
I guess I dont get out much and experience the life in Los Angeles.

Someday.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:02 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
My husband and I eat out usually just once a week,generally it cost about $20-$25. But if we go to say Red Lobster (maybe 3x a year) $50-$60 is usually the norm.

Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
I've been eating out a fair amount lately. Lunch in an average sit down restaurant runs $10- 15 including tip without a beverage, since I usually drink water.

For an average dinner out in the evenings, I usually expect to pay $20-25 including tip and a drink. That's for a non-chain that serves Mexican food or other standard ethnic food. Often my friends and I will simply divide the cost of the total meal and drinks equally rather than worry about getting separate checks. In the long run it averages out.

For anything fancier, the price can go up to $100 or more.

I live frugally for the most part, but eating out from time to time has a great value over its monetary cost.

Old 06-17-2007, 08:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
But SunnyKayak, I don't think the entire point is "something that will be out of your system in four hours." It's the delight in the consumption, the ambience of the surroundings, and perhaps the company of the ones you cherish. That to some, may be worth the money spent.

Some of the moments that mean the most to me were dining with a loved one. I'd actually pay big bucks to re-live those moments. I'd pay big bucks again to create new memories with the right person. I don't necessarily think it's only the food we're paying for ...it's the overall experience, sometimes.

Oh, and you must have a very efficient digestive system ...four hours??!

You can have great moments in a good restaurant without them gouging you in the price of food. I have had some awesome memories with my partner at restaurants that our total ticket did not go over 45 bucks.

If it a restaurant that provides entertainment I will shell out more for instance a dinner theater but if all they do is make the females wear dorky tux and just play ambient music then they are no different than any other jo smoe restaurant except a higher ticket price.

For instance I went to the beach and they was charging 18 dollars for same entree I could get four hours inland at 12 bucks and they are right beside the ocean.. doesnt make sense.

A restaurant would benefit better for gaining people like me to return their restaurant if they didnt gouge in the menu prices.

For example the one I mention in my previous post I just discovered it 2 weeks ago and I already been back 3 times verses a place that charges more than 15 bucks for an entree I would may visit once in a blue moon.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:39 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,049,517 times
Ok, I stand corrected. What you're saying is true. I'm not comprehending things right nowadays.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:05 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
For $30/person, the food better be pretty dang good. For a typical night out, I would say $20/person is fair. For fancy, $30+. We are having our 3 year annivesary dinner this weekend at a restuarant we've never been to and the menu prices were $25+. With Alcohol and appetizers, we're probably looking at a $100 dinner ... which I think is a little much but it comes highly recommended and isn't something we do often. In fact, the last time we had a fancy dinner was when he proposed to me 3 years ago at the Skylon Tower in Niagara Falls Canada. I think the meal ended up being $150+. The food was great but not worth the $150. I think in that instance, you paid big time for the view! On any given typical night, we try to make our dinners $40 total at a sit-down+gratuity type place. I think it's do-able!

Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
For a special meal out here in the UK , I would say over £75 a head is expensive ( French restaurant or other "fancy" restaurants), for a normal but good meal out, here in Oxford can get something very nice for about £ 80 for 2 people ( 3 courses, no wine but non alcoholic drinks). For much simpler food such as pizza in a good Italian restaurant( real Pizzas not like pizza hut) , plus a salad, garlic bread and dessert, about £50 for 2 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink