Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,803,701 times

Advertisements

I have always thought of Californians as being worried about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Also, I have always somehow associated that to the fact that they have an abundance of fruits and vegetables locally grown, what might somehow make things easier for them.

However, there are a few misconceptions: Texas is actually not all/only bbq, there are many cities where I found people to be very educated regarding diets in general and focused on eating healthy, and also concerned about having a healthy lifestyle overall. But then again I have the best impression of Texans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 AM

114,841 posts, read 65,591,808 times
I eat salt like there's no tomorrow!! I think the jury is still out on salt... ......I've paid a price for my love of Mexican food.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:23 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Do you pay attention to how much salt you consume?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you have a medical need to?
No, my blood pressure is healthy, and so is my husband's. I do avoid cooking with too much salt, because I don't think it's good for you.

Quote:
Are you aware of the health risk of too much salt?
Yes, but people's tolerances differ, and you can eat too much of anything. Too much water will kill you.

Quote:
Do you try to minimize your salt intake? Do you adjust your cooking style or choices to account for salt?
No. We don't eat a lot of processed foods, and we rarely go to restaurants. Almost everything we eat is something I cooked or prepared. I cook with salt when called for in the recipe.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,547,769 times
Quote:
Do you pay attention to how much salt you consume? Do you have a medical need to? Are you aware of the health risk of too much salt? Do you try to minimize your salt intake? Do you adjust your cooking style or choices to account for salt?
Are you aware of the health risk of not enough salt? It's in the foods I eat, and that's enough for me. I don't add it to anything that I can think of offhand.

Except maybe Chinese food, in the form of soy sauce (mostly salt).

Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,086,233 times
We are daily exercisers (we sweat!) and we limit our "prepared" food intake, so no we don't really limit our salt.

When I do use salt, it's sea salt. It tastes very "salty" so you actually use less than you would with the iodized "table salt" .

I tend to use salt early in the cooking process and we never have it on the table at our house.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,511,046 times
Salt is a flavor enhancer and, used in moderation, isn't a major problem for most people. Americans are probably one of the most obese groups worldwide and percentage-wise suffer more from high blood pressure, diabetes and organ problems because of their overindulgence in fatty, fast, sodium-laden and starch-laden foods in general.

I own a restaurant and I'm the cook. I use salt in moderation when cooking vegetables, use a lot of garlic and herbs and butter in everything and I HATE it when a customer gets his plate of food and immediately, without tasting, picks up the salt shaker and douses the whole dinner. AAARGH!

Your body "tells" you a lot but if you don't listen then you might be in trouble. Anything in excess isn't good and "even in moderation there is excess" according to Mr. Shakespeare and with which statement I've always concurred.

A couple of years ago I had a regular customer who was not only diabetic but had a heart problem and high blood pressure and I used to watch him doing the salt-flinging routine. It was scary. I finally bought a couple of salt substitute shakers, gave him one to pocket and take with him and kept one at the bar so that when he came in he would use that instead of the regular salt.

Just saying!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,587,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I HATE it when a customer gets his plate of food and immediately, without tasting, picks up the salt shaker and douses the whole dinner. AAARGH!
I hate that too. My father-in-law salts everything before tasting it. You could hand him a salt lick on a plate and he'd salt it.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:18 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,402,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

I own a restaurant and I'm the cook. I use salt in moderation when cooking vegetables, use a lot of garlic and herbs and butter in everything and I HATE it when a customer gets his plate of food and immediately, without tasting, picks up the salt shaker and douses the whole dinner. AAARGH!
It's an insult!

I have a friend who ONLY eats processed food. She even thinks the cheap "chicken" patties they sell at most fast food places is actual fresh chicken. No...it's groud up chicken parts mixed with fat, flour, corn, and God knows what else.

Anyway, I cook. I cook a lot, and I invite her over a lot, because I always cook too much. What's the first thing she does when she dishes her plate up? Grab the salt shaker and shake, shake, shake away! No tastes, nothing. I can't STAND it. I imagine all the salt she takes in with her regular meals makes my fresh, healthy, homecooked meals tastes really bland, even though, to me, they're amazingly flavorful!

Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,079,771 times
Great to see so many aware of the problem of too much sodium in their diets!

For any interested in lower sodium foods and food choices, please check out the LOW SODIUM THREAD here on CD in the Health and Diet Forum. Lots of info from myself and others, you input is welcome too!

Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM

23,118 posts, read 28,853,735 times
A salty aphorism:

Salt is the policeman of taste: it keeps the various flavors of a dish in order and restrains the stronger from tyrannizing over the weaker. Chazal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink