Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd share a short story about my family.....

My grandmother "Alice" passed away a couple of weeks ago and with that brought an end to some great Sunday dinners. We all(four brothers and their spouses, along with two neices, and my wife and I) would gather around after church at my grandmother's, for the past several years, and have some of the best "soul food" ever. Sweet potato pie, homemade mac and chesse, baked chicken, corn on the cob, homemade mashed potatoes, cornbread, etc., was the order of the day on most Sundays. She LOVED to cook and never allowed any of us to help out. We all cherished her(for more than her food of course!) very much as she brought out the best in all of us. One my neices "Samantha", who is 6 years old made a remark yesterday that really hit home. She asked, "Uncle, who is gonna cook for us now that Nah Nah is gone to heaven? Will we just not eat on Sundays anymore?" As I fought back the tears and tried to hold it together for her, I answered, No Sammy, we'll pick up right where Nah Nah left off, as she would have wanted it that way, we won't be missing any Sunday dinners. With that, she seemed somewhat satisfied. As she was about to to leave and play with her sister, she turned and said, "Since Grandma's not cooking anymore, just don't burn the bread!" Moral of the story? Kids don't care who does the cooking, just don't burn that damn bread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Nice.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:18 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,338,402 times
My condolences to your family. Now it's time to start a new family Sunday tradition while continuing to honor your grandmother. Just don't burn the bread!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
mmmmm.....hopefully someone can cook like that still - or maybe everyone can choose a dish to "perfect" and be responsible for each week? I'm hungry just reading about all that good food!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
Kingdom, excellent post!!

I also had the joy of sharing my grandma's recipes. The food a talented grandma cooks at home is always wonderful...

I am sorry to hear that, and hope your family shares her much cherished recipes for many years.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
My condolences to your family. Now it's time to start a new family Sunday tradition while continuing to honor your grandmother. Just don't burn the bread!
ha! I won't, I promise thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
mmmmm.....hopefully someone can cook like that still - or maybe everyone can choose a dish to "perfect" and be responsible for each week? I'm hungry just reading about all that good food!

Yeah pretty much, we are chosing the latter, I picked the homemade mac n chesse. Oh, and the cornbread......

Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Kingdom, excellent post!!

I also had the joy of sharing my grandma's recipes. The food a talented grandma cooks at home is always wonderful...

I am sorry to hear that, and hope your family shares her much cherished recipes for many years.

Thank you for your condolences. Yeah, she was pretty much the best cook(even my mom and wife agree), I have ever had the pleasure to eat from. She knew all the old home spun recipes of both the American South and Mexican(she made the absolute best enchiladas in the world), again thanks!

Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
What she ^^ said.

Your Grandma sounds like she was a wonderful woman. Treasure your good memories always.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,773 times
Kingdom, thank you for sharing your family story with us.

I'm sure your Sunday dinners will develop into a special and lasting tribute to your grandma, as well as sow the seeds of fond tradition with the newest generation of 'grandmas'...and 'grandpas'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink