Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 PM

837 posts, read 1,701,748 times

Advertisements

What a relief--I'm normal! Apparently not at all remarkable for the fact that I have been looking in my refrigerator every day for the last few months and debating whether to clean it out or just move."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,814,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Fresh eggs should always be refrigerated.
Shell Eggs from Farm to Table
What a great link this is! Read and learn great stuff about eggs!
I never refrigerated eggs in Australia - we kept them in a wire basket on the counter. When I moved here my then husband (American) nearly had a heart attack over it LOL

But then I never fridged tomato sauce (ketchup), jam or peanut butter either.

I think my daughter has become americanised 'cos she fridges damn near everything (no wonder I have no space in there)

Old 06-07-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
There is yet another intesting twist on this thread, what never goes bad? "Never" being relative here obviously you're not passing on a jar of pickles thru probate to your grandchildren.

I don't think fish sauce ever goes bad, it's way too salty. Even if it did it couldn't smell any worse so who cares?

Also = Curry paste. I've seen expiration dates on 'em but it's usually years out and I suspect just to satisfy FDA when imported for sale in America.
I'm pretty sure Vegemite is darn near indestructible - I've heard it has a shelf life akin to twinkies

Old 06-07-2010, 06:00 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,377,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Btw, I found a few raisins that I am sure entered the frig as grapes.
haha ~~ too funny

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,764,161 times
A really old head of lettuce.... (there are other things that I'm to ashamed to post in this forum) and some old stew placed in a butter container that has a layer of something growing on it!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,777,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Not only have I thrown out cheap Gladware with contents I couldn't bear to deal with, I've thrown out far more costly receptacles. In fact, I currently have a stockpot that I'm ignoring, because I know I'm not going to clean it out without vomiting, and I can't bear to just trash a nice stockpot, either. I suppose I should just get a gasmask and the hose and suck it up and deal.

I'm a moldy food wussie.
A few years ago in Alaska when we have moved from the 5th wheel into the house in the winter, I forgot the crockpot in the camper with the liquid from something. I saw it a few times, but figured I'd deal with it later as I was using the other crockpot and it was frozen. Come spring....ewwwwww! Good thing the lid was on it, took it outside carefully not to get it worked up and handed to hubby....he looked at me and said I can't dump that here, it's bear bait...I just told him to figure it out, bury it if he had too because I could not clean it, much more smell it when dumped...

Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,097,334 times
Grannysroost - that's hysterical! And sounds like something I would do!
Today, I just threw out some completely moldy basil. I had been watching it for awhile but thought it was okay since the part that I could see was still green. I took it out today and the rest of it was just fuzz and mold. I also found some disgusting asparagus in the back of my veggie drawer that I didn't even know it was there. Those are the only 2 I'll mention - there are many more... I'm a good cook, I swear! Just don't look in the fridge!

Old 06-08-2010, 04:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,547,769 times
I'm not embarrassed by it--but my room mate would be nonplussed by the open cans of olives and mushrooms sitting in there without any sort of covers on them. Both packed in water.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:39 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,547,769 times
My mushrooms molded! I'm surprised they did that, fridge is pretty cold, almost freezing.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM

I wouldn't risk eating ANYthing that's been stored in a can in the fridge - just sayin'

If I'm only using part of an opened can the rest goes into a snaplock before I put it in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink