U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM

6,608 posts, read 6,747,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Now THERE is another interesting thread someone should start... to fridge or not to fridge.

Ketchup, soy sauce, chili paste, etc.
Oh YES!! Definitely need this thread going (it's a cultural thing as well ya know)
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 03:54 PM

2,809 posts, read 2,116,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Oh YES!! Definitely need this thread going (it's a cultural thing as well ya know)

Ditto.

Go for it, slackjaw. I've had this conversation before. Sometimes it doesn't end well.

I don't frig ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, bread, sometimes potatoes, worchestershire sauce...

Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 PM

2,809 posts, read 2,116,932 times
Btw, I found a few raisins that I am sure entered the frig as grapes.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,474,015 times
When we moved here we bought a freezer for the basement,kept a list of what went in and out. Found we are never snowbound for long so disconnected that 4 years ago.

Have a refrig in garage that's only used summers for soda/beer, overflow of salads for parties.

Side by side in kitchen-minimalist-we shop usually a few times a week as to what moves us, never buy cold cuts anymore, one ketchup, one lowfat mayo, 1 reg mayo, 1 Dijon, 1 Yellow mustard, horseradish, tabasco, 1 bottle low fat salad dressing, 1 smart balance, 2 sticks of butter, 1 jar dills,1 jar sweet, 1 jar hot banana peppers, 1/2 gal 1% milk, low fat yog.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 PM

20,883 posts, read 18,436,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
Ditto.

Go for it, slackjaw. I've had this conversation before. Sometimes it doesn't end well.

I don't frig ketchup, mustard, soy sauce, bread, sometimes potatoes, worchestershire sauce...
It took me a minute to notice that slackjaw is the poster who suggested the fridge/no-fridge thread. I thought you were calling Opyelie (the person you quoted) a slackjaw, and I thought, "Well, THAT wasn't very nice."

Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 AM

8,270 posts, read 5,906,366 times
When I was working in France I noticed that groceries had cheese on the shelves unrefrigerated. It didn't look like Kroger cheese all bright orange in clear plastic, it was in little cardboard boxes with French that I couldn't read no doubt describing the glory of it's heritage.

Also many countries in Asia and Central America (and Europe come to think of it) don't refrigerate eggs, you see them just stacked up. In this case I suspect it's because they have a much more local distribution network so they go from chicken vagina to pan a lot more quickly.

I know people who refrigerate beef jerky, I don't get that isn't the whole point of beef jerky that it's cured and dried so people could take it traveling to get protein without risk of spoilage?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM

38,744 posts, read 37,307,046 times
My fridge is pretty tidy. If I buy it, I cook it. If I cook it, I eat it. There is nothing in there that I would not eat right now without even smelling it, except the box of baking soda.

I don't refrigerate anything that contains vinegar. No ketchup, mustard, mayo. I keep onions in the fridge, so I can peel them tearlessly. And potatoes, it takes me a long time to eat ten pounds. I keep a couple of tomatoes out so they'll ripen, but the rest in the fridge in summer. Stick of butter for daily use left out.

Fresh eggs should never be refrigerated, but in this country, they've been refrigerated for weeks before I even see them, so I can't apply all my principles here.

I'd prefer to eat food at room temp, rather than refrigerated, like fruit, cheese, water.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-06-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 04:26 AM

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,379 posts, read 6,030,040 times
Fresh eggs should always be refrigerated.
Shell Eggs from Farm to Table
What a great link this is! Read and learn great stuff about eggs!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 AM

25,174 posts, read 30,885,109 times
Condiments have so much vinegar in them that it's impossible for them to go bad.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I just finished off a jar of mustard that I purchased in 2001. Or maybe 2000.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 AM

8,270 posts, read 5,906,366 times
There is yet another intesting twist on this thread, what never goes bad? "Never" being relative here obviously you're not passing on a jar of pickles thru probate to your grandchildren.

I don't think fish sauce ever goes bad, it's way too salty. Even if it did it couldn't smell any worse so who cares?

Also = Curry paste. I've seen expiration dates on 'em but it's usually years out and I suspect just to satisfy FDA when imported for sale in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink