Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 02:07 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Guys, I guess most of you just read the main question and misunderstood it. I am sorry, I could have phrased it better.

I wrote this on a previous post and I just would like to clarify it: I meant to ask "what food item would you bring from the place you have visited?", and please consider it in case one could bring any food item.
You're correct, Miaiam. Most people (like me) just read the initial question, which was not your intent. That will probably keep happening, as not everyone takes the time to go back and read the OP on each thread.

That said, I would say in answer to your second question (bold above), it would depend entirely on what food items are available at the place I visit! When I visited Vermont several years ago, I brought back with me the best white cheddar cheese on the face of the earth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 02:48 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I like to visit Farmer's Markets and bring home home-made specialty items like relishes, jams, mustards, and such...it's fun talking with the folks who made the foods...local wine and small locally brewed beer is fun to bring home, too.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
When my mother was still living in Wisconsin, I'd never return home without about 30 pounds of Brats from Hoff's Red Owl store in Brownsville WI, and the trunk full of cases of Point Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Well, it would be nice to bring Wisconsin cheese home with me--but I have no way of keeping it refrigerated on the way back home.
You don't need to. Cheese keeps fine for a long time (weeks) at room temperature. To keep it from overheating and melting it in the car, wrap a bundle of cold cheese in newspaper, put it in a plastic trash bag, then put that in a closed cardboard box. That makes an excellent insulation. You can also toss a blanket over the box. The floor of your trunk is the hottest place in the car, right above the muffler, so if you stow it in the trunk, have something else beneath it. I've done that with the uncooked brats, and they're fine, even after a couple of overnight stops on the way home.

Or, just buy the cheapest camp cooler you can find, that'll work fine, you can always find other uses for it later on. No ice required, but open the lid overnight, so it can cool down from daytime temperatures.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-18-2010 at 09:24 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Food as souvenirs! It's a lot easier when I'm driving -- I always bring a cooler! -- but I've managed just fine on airplanes, too.

Cheese from Wisconsin, especially cheese curds. When I blow through Cuba, NY, on my way to and from Philadelphia and Erie, I also buy cheese and cheese curds there.

We were just in Williamsburg, Va., and visited local winery and brewery, bought some barbecue sauce from Pierce's PITT Bar-B-Que, and of course Virginia peanuts.

The first time I went to San Francisco I came home with three loaves of sourdough bread. My family hated it and I had to eat it all myself. Dang.

When I visit Cincinnati, I come home with a six months' fix of Skyline Chili. When I visit Erie, I come home with a bag of frozen pepperoni balls, and some of Cleveland's Stadium Mustard that the local grocery stores carry.

Pecans from the Carolinas. Wine from just about anywhere.

Hahaha .. don't feel bad. Used to love sourdough and always in search of the ultimate sourdough myself, especially when around the SF area. Somewhere while travelling and camping through the US, came across some great looking sourdough .. and bought, not three .. but four loaves! and as in your case, seemed I was the only one who liked it.

Never heard the end of it, especially when we found a loaf about a year later stuffed in a corner of the camper somewhere. didn't eat that one.

.. and funny enough, hardly ever buy it any more.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:15 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,773,388 times
On my trip I brought Flaming Hot Cheetos along. I didn't bring any food back from where I went.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
When I traveled to Victoria BC to a book launch event, I brought along hostess gifts of boxes of hush puppy mix--they'd never seen such before and they were a big hit!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:01 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
My work used to frequently take me down South (US). I always brought back Martha White flour, cornmeal and biscuit mixes.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
There are several good things you can only get in the south. Nowadays, I think you can buy grits up north but only in small expensive packages. In the south, you can buy cane syrup. Used to be able to buy raw, unrefined sugar in Louisiana, but I don't think it's available anymore, unless a sugar mill will sell you some.

Driving through Louisiana during sugar harvest, I always pick up canes that fell off trucks. In college, I kept a bunch of them under my bed to munch on.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,144 times
Mrs. Sees candy, the toffinettes.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:28 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Default Traveling food

We're a week into a road trip, have three weeks left, and are looking for interesting, somewhat healthy snacks that can survive the ride.

Sometimes we don't have refrigeration, so perishables are out. Stuff that goes stale or molds quickly is a bummer.
Flavorful, crispy, low in fat and sugar...any suggestions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink