Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Yes, please ask her about one of the granny's recipes, they are usually really nice.
And if it is not too much to ask, one with her own twist. I really like "adapted" recipes. Thanks!
Okalie dokalie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:15 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Rum cake, my apple/cinnamon brulee cheesecake, or these pastries I make with fresh berries, homemade vanilla pastry cream, and chocolate curls.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,140 times
Pathetically: fruit salad and club sandwiches. But hey, everybody eats them!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Various things: at Thanksgiving I make the candied yams.
I used canned yams, and drain the corn syrup blechiness out, and rinse them in a strainer with cold tap water. I like canned yams because they're guaranteed to always cook up mushy, which is the most important part of my dish. Mushy yams = sweet degenerate goodness.

I make my own juice with freshly ground cinnamon stick, unfiltered apple cider, lemon juice, dark brown sugar, raisins, and a can of mandarin oranges in their own juice. I top the whole thing with halved marshmallows and bake til the marshmallows start to turn brown.

For passover, I make the charoses. That'd be grated McIntosh and Granny Smith apples, pressed in a strainer over a bowl to catch the extra juice, but still moist. Add fresh-ground cinnamon stick, chopped walnuts, and Manachewitz Concord Grape Wine. Smush it all together til it's this brownish-purplish mash of weird stuff, stick it in a bowl or on top of a piece of matzoh, and call it dessert.

The drained juice, you heat in a pot, add more cinnamon, some orange rind, and a clove bud, simmer for a few minutes, and you've got hot mulled cider. If you make enough charoses, you will have enough cider to add brandy and serve to the whole crowd at suppertime, in cordial glasses.

At picnics I'm the one who usually brings the fruit basket. It's literally a basket, that I carve out of a whole watermelon. I do the whole thing - the handle, sides, it's kind of cute really. I chunk up the melon flesh and leave around 3/4 of it home for me and the spouse to eat. I add some other balled melons (such as canteloupe) and some berries, and provide some whipped cream in a can for those who want it, on the side.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:31 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Spaghetti and meatballs (all homemade including the pasta)
Gnocchi
Stuffed mushrooms

I make better stuff imo, but those things travel well and are frequently requested. At home my Coquilles St. Jacque is famous but does not reheat well.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:25 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I make a pretty good egg & sausage casserole for breakfast and I can make deep dish apple pies pretty well from scratch.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,795 times
Smoked brisket, pulled pork, and smoked beans. Nobody else likes to cook low and slow, and that is fine by me.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
I am always put in charge of the stuffing on Thanksgiving and deviations from the norm are not allowed. Also frequently requested are my potato salad and banana nut bread. All three of these things are made the way "mom" made them.

No one ever asks me to bring a cake or pie. My sisters inherited the baking gene from my mother...it completely passed me by except for banana bread.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:23 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Cheese Hashbrown potato casserole
Buffalo chicken dip
Lemon angelfood layer cake with cream cheese frosting

Old 06-13-2010, 07:28 PM

515 posts, read 716,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I am always put in charge of the stuffing on Thanksgiving and deviations from the norm are not allowed. Also frequently requested are my potato salad and banana nut bread. All three of these things are made the way "mom" made them.

No one ever asks me to bring a cake or pie. My sisters inherited the baking gene from my mother...it completely passed me by except for banana bread.
Folks always ask for my banana nut bread too!

My secret; I use at least four big bananas (which were already over ripe when they got tossed in the freezer) mashed semi thawed and covered with lemon juice and left to sit while the other ingredients are put together. And I add a small handful of finely chopped dried apples.

I'm not much of a baker either, but the other thing I'm often asked for is my Lemon Syrup Cake...it's dense and incredibly rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes