Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 04:03 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times

Advertisements

Manual transmission 'whines' in the lower gears....more than normal. I'd like to check the 'manual transmission fluid level' but how?

I've checked my manual and although it has a picture....it doesn't tell me WHERE the plug is located under the hood.

Can you help? Know what the whining noise might be? Where the plug is and how to take it off?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Manual transmissions do not have a oil check stick. They have a plug you remove, when full it dribbles out the hole.
My new 6 speed automatic is a sealed system with no check stick either.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Plug is located on the side of the transmission. You will have to raise car to access and/or see it.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,711,752 times
ferretkona, thanks..... I guess I can't do that myself unless I jack the car up?

But I don't know what "side of the transmission" looks like.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,671,929 times
All manaul shift transmissions have both fill and drain plugs on the transmission housing NOT under the hood that is auto transmissions only.

If you add grease be sure to follow the weight recommended by Ford for manual transmissions.

Do this with the car shut off!
Checking is easy if you don't mind getting dirty. Park the car on a level spot then crawl under the car to find the plug in the side of the transmission housing carefully remove the plug to see if the grease is at the bottom of the plug threads if not stick your finger in the hole to see if you can touch the grease if not then add to the bottom of the thread and re-install plug taking care not to over tighten the plug.

If the whine is REALLY loud then more than likely you have bearings going out.

If all of this is bit more than you are comfortable with take it to a shop since you will be under the car......and that is no place at all for a newbie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln