U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM

3,511 posts, read 4,314,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
huh? if the Town Car's "competition" are cars costing $80-90k, then it's even more pathetic than I originally thought.
You can buy nice 16,000 mile 1-2 year old Mercury Grand Marquis fully loaded for less than $15,000. I've seen 1-2 year old Lincolns for some sweet deals too. Even used BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc are expensive. I wouldn't even want to know what a new one costs nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 PM

I came about this close to buying a '08 Mercury Grand Marquis similar to the one above. I thought about it too long and missed it. That one was $13,000.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,344,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
You can buy nice 16,000 mile 1-2 year old Mercury Grand Marquis fully loaded for less than $15,000. I've seen 1-2 year old Lincolns for some sweet deals too. Even used BMW, Audi, Mercedes etc are expensive. I wouldn't even want to know what a new one costs nowadays.
still, there's no point in comparing one to a used car costing $30k. I doubt anyone looking to spend $30k on a used car goes, "I think I'll buy a Mercury Grand Marquis instead"

Old 10-07-2010, 08:38 PM

Used Lincoln Town Car Cars For Sale in Auto Classifieds - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 PM

That's just a sneak peek and high for around here. You can be rolling in like new style for less! I bet hot-dogs are $7 around your parts too? LMAO

Last edited by Axle grease; 10-07-2010 at 09:42 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 09:32 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
The main difference between a Grand Marquis/Vic/Town Car and a BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes isn't just the price: it's the refinement.

No one will dispute that the Panther-chassis cars ride smooth. No one will dispute that they are at the top of the roost when it comes to reliability or cost of maintenance - a great combo that means they're cheap to operate. The chassis date back a few decades and so do most of the major drivetrain components. Hell, the electronics onboard aren't much different than they were in the mid-to-late 80's. All this means that basically any mechanic can work on it and raid the FoMoCo parts bin out back to do most major repairs.

Although I like my parents' Town Car, and have driven P71 Crown Vic's and found them to be pretty cool, I also worked for Lexus and drove their entire lineup up to the current models. There is absolutely no comparison, whatsoever between an LS430 and a Town Car from a refinement standpoint. The LS430 is faster, more agile, more ergonomic, and a few generations more technologically advanced than the Town Car. So is a Mercedes S500. The difference, of course, is that both those cars cost twice as much as a brand new Town Car, and maintenance is stratospherically higher. This is why Town Cars are the mainstay for professional car services in the US: can you imagine the cost of fleet maintenance for a lot full of S500's??? Ford hasn't done an exceptional amount of engineering to the Panther cars in well over a decade, whereas the LS, 5- and 7-series have gone through three distinct generations, and the S-class has gone through two since 2000.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The main difference between a Grand Marquis/Vic/Town Car and a BMW, Lexus, or Mercedes isn't just the price: it's the refinement.

No one will dispute that the Panther-chassis cars ride smooth. No one will dispute that they are at the top of the roost when it comes to reliability or cost of maintenance - a great combo that means they're cheap to operate. The chassis date back a few decades and so do most of the major drivetrain components. Hell, the electronics onboard aren't much different than they were in the mid-to-late 80's. All this means that basically any mechanic can work on it and raid the FoMoCo parts bin out back to do most major repairs.

Although I like my parents' Town Car, and have driven P71 Crown Vic's and found them to be pretty cool, I also worked for Lexus and drove their entire lineup up to the current models. There is absolutely no comparison, whatsoever between an LS430 and a Town Car from a refinement standpoint. The LS430 is faster, more agile, more ergonomic, and a few generations more technologically advanced than the Town Car. So is a Mercedes S500. The difference, of course, is that both those cars cost twice as much as a brand new Town Car, and maintenance is stratospherically higher. This is why Town Cars are the mainstay for professional car services in the US: can you imagine the cost of fleet maintenance for a lot full of S500's??? Ford hasn't done an exceptional amount of engineering to the Panther cars in well over a decade, whereas the LS, 5- and 7-series have gone through three distinct generations, and the S-class has gone through two since 2000.
I do all my own work and don't like to have to get dealer only parts or drop a paycheck on what would have been a reasonably priced, easy to get part. Now you dudes "know what I mean Vern"? LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,349,013 times
Kinda off topic but interesting

Posted on Oct 7th 2010 3:12PM
Juliette Lewis Hospitalized After Hit-and-Run Accident

Juliette Lewis was hospitalized on Wednesday night after being involved in a hit-and-run accident in Burbank, Calif.

The actress-turned-rocker was leaving an event for her film, 'Conviction,' when a car crashed into her chauffeured Lincoln Town Car. "The sedan Juliette was traveling in was completely totaled," Lewis' rep said in statement.

The Honda that hit her car was found by police a few blocks away. According to TMZ, the driver apparently fled the scene and is still being hunted by police.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:24 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,192,517 times
i'm in my 20's, and i drive a lincoln. it isn't a town car or a continental, and it doesn't make me feel any older. the engine quality, suspension, and the handling are par with a similar sized lexus or bmw. it really is a fun car to drive, it rides smooth, and the gas mileage isn't awful for a V8, about 18 in the city and 25-26 on the highway.

that said, there are problems.. big problems. the car as a whole is not in the ballpark of a BMW in terms of quality, especially on the interior. the regularity at which little pieces of the car snap off, burn out, or otherwise fail, is crazy.

i guess that's why I paid $17k for one, with 12,000 miles on it, which IMO was a good deal for a car that sold $45k new, and had a lot of years left (I am at ~70k now). Even with all the maintenance and repair headaches it has given me, it has been a good car. (Until something fails again and pisses me off)

now, about the town car, i've driven my share of those too. i think you'd look old in one, yeah, unless you installed a crushed velvet interior and started wearing a lot of fur.

Last edited by le roi; 10-08-2010 at 05:37 AM..

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 AM

175 posts, read 654,227 times
I have a Lincoln 08 MKX (The little SUV) and I am 29 and I love it! The Ford Edge didn't have as many options available. I would have had to get a fully loaded edge, to get the same options that are standard in a lincoln and the edge would not be as nice. The only options I got on my MKX was the vista roof and AWD. What sold me on the Lincoln is the standard air conditioned seats-I am hot natured and the car I had before air conditioner kept going out (also not an option with the edge. I used those airconditioned seat 9 months out of the year and the other 3 months I used the heated seats. I bought the car for $40,000 with zero % interest-can't do that with a used car. It drives great and never had any trouble with it. It gets 18 mpg in the city, pretty good for an SUV ;-)

For the record I would not go for the fully loaded lincolns-I think they charge to much for their options. I remember the automatic lift gate option was another $5000. I'll just lift my own tail gait, Thanks! Plus the interior packages start getting gaudy! I used to detail cars at a lincoln dealer when I was 16 and some of those cars were so ugly. I remember white leather seats with dark purple piping and purple carpet-I think that was on a Mark 8-that looked like a pimp mobile! Base Lincoln are so much nicer than loaded fords anyway!

The 2011 MKX has really peaked my intrest-lots of new features being offered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln