U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM

14,780 posts, read 35,982,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I guess we agree on some things, nothing like spending a weekend at Watkins Glen open tracking, but it sure is expensive. At least $500 for the weekend, Motel, food, race fuel, nightly adult beverages and add another 500-700 if you go through a set of tires.
Those were the good old days.
Agreed. Just take that $500-$1,000 a weekend and multiply it by say 20 or so if you want to get remotely decent or competitive and most people will have ended up spending more racing then what they actually spent on the car, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:12 PM

10,900 posts, read 23,170,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think the drag racing times become so front and center for most people as it is the easiest and cheapest way to legally race. Getting into road racing takes a ton of time, effort and money. You can drive to the drag strip on a Friday night, pay $20 and race. Most people don't have the time and money to invest in spending a weekend at the road course. I used to do it, but I don't nearly have the time and money these days.
I hate having his mods before he took them to be installed at brown bros ford which is the only diablo sport tuner and dyno that is a ford licensed speed shop to modify mustangs and still keep some factory warranty. here is how it looked before we took it down in my truck for some reason he kept all the parts at my place since his wife was on his case. he is into road course and x-cross as well as friday night street legals

also a little off-topic in that 3rd pic is how to spend 8K-9K on a salt water aquarium and learning about tropical and coral marine life the hard way.

theis is what he started with which was all stiffing up the frame and getting it to breath better but he went with spintech racing mufflers but he wanted to get away from the borla and magnaflow cat-backs system it is the only mach 1 that has side pipes haha weird seeing these pics takes me back 4-5 years.
but as you guys that race will notice it was alot of performace parts to stiffen up the frame
Attached Thumbnails
800-horsepower Mustang on the way-044.jpg   800-horsepower Mustang on the way-037.jpg   800-horsepower Mustang on the way-042.jpg  

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-12-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2011, 01:57 PM

If I'm guessing correctly he switched from a 4-link with quad shocks in the rear to a panhard setup. Very common change on Mustangs regardless of the racing you are doing. The 4-link is nice for riding on the street, but allows the axle to shift around. The panhard setup ties everything in and really stiffens up the car. Add on some subframe bracing to tie the subframes together and it can really change the feel of the car.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 PM

2,266 posts, read 4,523,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
911's/Corvette's/Mustangs, neither one is particularly special. They are all great drivers cars in their own ways but all are common, particularly the Mustang. It's the Toyota Corolla of two door coupes.

Having said that, I'd love to own a modern 911, a 2005+ Vette, or a 2011+ Mustang GT. Chances are when its time to get rid of the G35 the C6 Vette and 2011 GT will be high on my list of used cars to buy (along with the 4.6L Genesis Sedan and Porsche Cayman, for different reasons).
I'm a big Porsche fan and for me nothing beats the overall driving experience and control you feel when you drive the car. Corvettes are nice, but just do nothing for me. Mustangs are a dime a dozen, I see them everywhere. That isn't to say they haven't done a great job for them for the price. The overall quality and driving experience of a Porsche is in a different league than a mustang, but so isn't the price.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 18,445,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I'm a big Porsche fan and for me nothing beats the overall driving experience and control you feel when you drive the car. Corvettes are nice, but just do nothing for me. Mustangs are a dime a dozen, I see them everywhere. That isn't to say they haven't done a great job for them for the price. The overall quality and driving experience of a Porsche is in a different league than a mustang, but so isn't the price.

What was the last Mustang you ACTUALLY drove? be honest..

The reason you see em everywhere is because they are so delicious.. And the ones you mostly see are the garden variety v6 base cars. I believe we are talking about the Shelbys (800 hp Supersnake) the Boss's, the GT's .. the special ones.. Those are not a dime a dozen..

Old 04-13-2011, 06:35 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Quote:
Please not another post of "my favorite car is better than your favorite car"

Do we need the Ferrari guys posting how their cars are better/more expensive than Porsche?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Please not another post of "my favorite car is better than your favorite car"

Do we need the Ferrari guys posting how their cars are better/more expensive than Porsche?
Tell me about it. Would you believe someone had the nerve to park their garden variety dime-a-dozen Carrera next to my F430 Scuderia yesterday? I had even parked so as to occupy four spaces in the lot all the way at the back. The nerve of some people.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
What was the last Mustang you ACTUALLY drove? be honest..

The reason you see em everywhere is because they are so delicious.. And the ones you mostly see are the garden variety v6 base cars. I believe we are talking about the Shelbys (800 hp Supersnake) the Boss's, the GT's .. the special ones.. Those are not a dime a dozen..
Oh please. At the local cruise-ins I could walk on the roofs of modern GT's and not touch pavement all night. They're not special, they're cheap (relatively), they let pretty much anyone try a 1/4 mile a few times, and the aftermarket supports them. In an average week of running around town I get half a dozen Flowmastered GTs wanting to run at a stoplight.

When I bought my GTO the joke was that Ford built more blue GTs in a day than the entire production run of my Midnight Blue Metallic (Vesper's Blue in the land of Aus). Over 60K GTs were built in '05, and nearly 80K in '06. That's as far as I got. I'd say that rules them out of the special category.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Oh please. At the local cruise-ins I could walk on the roofs of modern GT's and not touch pavement all night. They're not special, they're cheap (relatively), they let pretty much anyone try a 1/4 mile a few times, and the aftermarket supports them. In an average week of running around town I get half a dozen Flowmastered GTs wanting to run at a stoplight.

When I bought my GTO the joke was that Ford built more blue GTs in a day than the entire production run of my Midnight Blue Metallic (Vesper's Blue in the land of Aus). Over 60K GTs were built in '05, and nearly 80K in '06. That's as far as I got. I'd say that rules them out of the special category.
I guess you forgot the joke about the Camaro Eliminator Class at every drag stip because there were way too many Camaros running. Turnabout is fair play.

A guess if you buy a car and the company stops production because of poor sales, you could call that a special car if you want to.
I guess a Pontiac with a Chevy engine is special.
OK now tell us how you beat up on every Mustang in your town.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:20 AM

51,874 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Porsches are horrible, they have little cargo capacity and towing stuff with them is an awful experience. Try to get a pallet of bricks home from Lowes in a 911 and you have to make like 40 trips!

That's why overall the F-150 is a much much better vehicle for a fraction of the cost.

(This seems about as logical of a comparison as dogging on a 30k pony car for not being up to the standards of a porsche. lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or