U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 01:49 PM

448 posts, read 982,164 times

Advertisements

Our 2003 Windstar has 69k miles of pretty light driving. We do take road trips in it, all else 'round town is pretty light. Going on road trip in Late August, 2500 miles.

When the trans. shifts through the higher gears while in o/d mode, a shudder is happening. Also running an even speed down the freeway we've noticed it happening. Annoying.........

Does anyone have experiences solving this problem? Been a great van otherwise.

Help Ford mechanics.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM

7,303 posts, read 22,737,174 times
My 1995 Lincoln Town Car (made by Ford) did this when I bought it. When it would go to shift into overdrive, it would shake like I was running over rumble strips. It had 184K miles. I researched and its a common issue on 90s-early 2000s Ford Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car and Ford F150. I didnt know it was also an issue on the Windstars since they have a different transmission, but you may be able to cure it like many have on the above vehicles.

I would consult others first, but you may could stop it by changing your transmission fluid, using MERCON V fluid. Also change your filter. Some have also used the "Lubegard" in the red bottle and said it worked. I used both. I changed to Mercon V fluid (its kinda pricey) and the lubegard (or it may be spelled Lubegaurd, I dont remember). You may can just add some of that lubegard to your current fluid and it may stop it, but if its never been changed at 69K, it may be time. I discovered that my Lincoln had the original fluid in it! I bought it a year ago... the car was made in February 1995 and I changed the fluid in June of 2010, so the fluid was over 15 years old! The old lady had never changed it!

Key thing is to drain your entire transmission, including the torque converter. My car held like 11 quarts of fluid and its like $4.00-5.00 per quart. Within 5 miles my "shudder" was gone. I have 189K now (5000 miles later) and still has not shuddered.

I would say it would be safe to also put it in a Windstar, I think this is the fluid now used in new Ford vehicles.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,346,010 times
Track down a bottle of Wynn's Shudderguard. Good stuff. Also works good for power steering judder.

I

Old 06-13-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
My 1995 Lincoln Town Car (made by Ford) did this when I bought it. When it would go to shift into overdrive, it would shake like I was running over rumble strips. It had 184K miles. I researched and its a common issue on 90s-early 2000s Ford Crown Victorias, Mercury Grand Marquis, Lincoln Town Car and Ford F150. I didnt know it was also an issue on the Windstars since they have a different transmission, but you may be able to cure it like many have on the above vehicles.

I would consult others first, but you may could stop it by changing your transmission fluid, using MERCON V fluid. Also change your filter. Some have also used the "Lubegard" in the red bottle and said it worked. I used both. I changed to Mercon V fluid (its kinda pricey) and the lubegard (or it may be spelled Lubegaurd, I dont remember). You may can just add some of that lubegard to your current fluid and it may stop it, but if its never been changed at 69K, it may be time. I discovered that my Lincoln had the original fluid in it! I bought it a year ago... the car was made in February 1995 and I changed the fluid in June of 2010, so the fluid was over 15 years old! The old lady had never changed it!

Key thing is to drain your entire transmission, including the torque converter. My car held like 11 quarts of fluid and its like $4.00-5.00 per quart. Within 5 miles my "shudder" was gone. I have 189K now (5000 miles later) and still has not shuddered.

I would say it would be safe to also put it in a Windstar, I think this is the fluid now used in new Ford vehicles.

Good luck!
Carquest, found 5 oz. squirt in tube of Dr. Tranny's instant shudder fix(concentrated). parts slinger said "works great". Supposed to have same essential ingredient; from makers of Lube Guard. Gonna give it a try tonight. 7.5 bucks.

At 43k miles this van had a complete road trip-ready service which included Dexron V trans fluid service. Van now has 69k miles and see no reason to service the trans just yet; fluid smells pretty alright and feels still viscous to me...........it gets drove pretty light really.

Wish it luck for me.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Carquest, found 5 oz. squirt in tube of Dr. Tranny's instant shudder fix(concentrated). parts slinger said "works great". Supposed to have same essential ingredient; from makers of Lube Guard. Gonna give it a try tonight. 7.5 bucks.

At 43k miles this van had a complete road trip-ready service which included Dexron V trans fluid service. Van now has 69k miles and see no reason to service the trans just yet; fluid smells pretty alright and feels still viscous to me...........it gets drove pretty light really.

Wish it luck for me.
Sounds good, hope it works. Dexron V fluid sounds a little odd to me in a Ford vehicle, but I guess it could be a recommended fluid, I am not that familiar with newer vehicles. Most Fords use Mercon or type F fluid. Hopefully its a recommended fluid for your vehicle. The use of Dexron fluid in it may be the cause of your shudders. @ 69K, the tranny should not be shuddering anyway - thats pretty low mileage for transmission woes. Well, hopefully the additive will work. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Sounds good, hope it works. Dexron V fluid sounds a little odd to me in a Ford vehicle, but I guess it could be a recommended fluid, I am not that familiar with newer vehicles. Most Fords use Mercon or type F fluid. Hopefully its a recommended fluid for your vehicle. The use of Dexron fluid in it may be the cause of your shudders. @ 69K, the tranny should not be shuddering anyway - thats pretty low mileage for transmission woes. Well, hopefully the additive will work. Good luck!
Understand/agree, but even the tranny dipstick head says to use the Dexron V.

N'yway..........drove it around 20 minutes the other day and seemed not to do it'ny more; will push it a bit harder this weekend though.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
Understand/agree, but even the tranny dipstick head says to use the Dexron V.

N'yway..........drove it around 20 minutes the other day and seemed not to do it'ny more; will push it a bit harder this weekend though.
Oh yeah, if the dipstick says that, then its fine. I guess Ford started using that in the 2000s. I am not very familiar with them. Hope the lubegaurd works!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM

Just got back from a 2800 mile road trip out to Yellowstone and over about 7 abrupt mountain passes and the hill/dale in between. The van performed well, but still shuddered at highway speeds. I'd turn o/d off for most of the hills and passed.
E. Oregon, N. Idaho, N/W Wyoming, Montana, E. Washington state and back home to Sutherlin.

Went to the local independent tranny guy that I know don't blow smoke up asses, a real stright shooter; he said to just start saving away for a new tranns. from Jasper........they are the best replacements if goal's to hang onto the car, that's what he'd put in it. 3-year 100K warranty mannnnnnn. Around 3 grand installed. Pretty easy to save for over time.

He won't even hardly get into replacing the weak parts of them units.
The stock transmissions just represent about all that's wrong with the way this country's doing business he said..........on the cheap and low quality.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:50 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,713,043 times
Still, for $3K more than you have in the van now, you can have one with the Jasper transola that works like the thing should have worked from the git-go.

I had a somewhat similar deal with an 87 Toyota Camry, (automatic) the previous owner overfilled the trans, no doubt with some sort of snake oil, trans went south and the practical fix was an ex-junkyard trans installed by a similar BS-free indy trans shop in Pasco.

Since then it's been a good ride, not fancy but goes down the road, decent MPG, all round useful car.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Still, for $3K more than you have in the van now, you can have one with the Jasper transola that works like the thing should have worked from the git-go.

I had a somewhat similar deal with an 87 Toyota Camry, (automatic) the previous owner overfilled the trans, no doubt with some sort of snake oil, trans went south and the practical fix was an ex-junkyard trans installed by a similar BS-free indy trans shop in Pasco.

Since then it's been a good ride, not fancy but goes down the road, decent MPG, all round useful car.
Exactly M3.........3 grand is relatively cheap if a guy hangs on to rigs. Saving starting yesterday. 'Ol Windstar got 23 mpg every 550 mile fill up..........great outfit 'cept 'fer the trans weak point!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln