Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Safety is nonexistent with that car, something to keep in mind for your daughter.

There are probably no side intrusion beams, no side airbags, probably no front airbags... And it's a 1970s platform I believe. It was already outdated when it rolled out of the factory.
You couldn't be more wrong (except about the side air bags).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 02:08 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Safety is nonexistent with that car, something to keep in mind for your daughter.

There are probably no side intrusion beams, no side airbags, probably no front airbags... And it's a 1970s platform I believe. It was already outdated when it rolled out of the factory.
You are sooo right, because everyone who has ever owned a 1992 Town Car crashed it and died except this one.

Which, by the way, his daughter went ahead and purchased almost two years ago when he started the thread. And, miracle of miracles, I think she's still alive.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
You are sooo right, because everyone who has ever owned a 1992 Town Car crashed it and died except this one.

Which, by the way, his daughter went ahead and purchased almost two years ago when he started the thread. And, miracle of miracles, I think she's still alive.
What? How can that be? Those "old" cars are death traps!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:

Actually in 1992, the T & C was the safest car made. I was surprised when I came across that while looking into the car.

She has had it for nearly two years and it has been a great car. Much more trouble free than any other in our fleet of old worn out cars. Gas mileage surprisingly good. Performance pathetic by my standards, but I am picky there. It is decent performance really. Super comfortable, easily transports six full sized adults in comfort and you can fit five more in the trunk. I think these are one of the more overlooked great values in used cars and an ideal first car for a youngster in college (or out). i wish we had four more of them (but I do not know where I would find room for them to park).

Oh and people laugh when she gets out of it. They do not expect to see a tiny college aged girl get out of a rolling aircraft carrier. She is just tall enough to avoid having to sit on a phone book to drive it. She avoids taking it home because her 17 year old brother always begs to borrow it to go out with his friends (or on a date). It is basically a limo.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually in 1992, the T & C was the safest car made. I was surprised when I came across that while looking into the car.

She has had it for nearly two years and it has been a great car. Much more trouble free than any other in our fleet of old worn out cars. Gas mileage surprisingly good. Performance pathetic by my standards, but I am picky there. It is decent performance really. Super comfortable, easily transports six full sized adults in comfort and you can fit five more in the trunk. I think these are one of the more overlooked great values in used cars and an ideal first car for a youngster in college (or out). i wish we had four more of them (but I do not know where I would find room for them to park).

Oh and people laugh when she gets out of it. They do not expect to see a tiny college aged girl get out of a rolling aircraft carrier. She is just tall enough to avoid having to sit on a phone book to drive it. She avoids taking it home because her 17 year old brother always begs to borrow it to go out with his friends (or on a date). It is basically a limo.
Well, gas mileage is only good for highway and freeway driving for its size. Those vehicles are notorious for getting absolutely horrid gas mileage in stop and go city driving as well as their Ford and Mercury relatives.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, gas mileage is only good for highway and freeway driving for its size. Those vehicles are notorious for getting absolutely horrid gas mileage in stop and go city driving as well as their Ford and Mercury relatives.
16-18 in city driving. Not great, but about the same as most of our other cars.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:57 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
16-18 in city driving. Not great, but about the same as most of our other cars.
16 mpg in town equates to probably a gallon of gas a month for me. Hardly enough to have much impact on my buying decision.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
16 mpg in town equates to probably a gallon of gas a month for me. Hardly enough to have much impact on my buying decision.
I am sure she woudl like to have a 30+ mpg car if she found one that was decent and affordable. But that is pretty rare. She loves her "Abe"

My son has a $500 Saturn ION that gets something like 31/42, but you drop as much as 10 MPG when you put 4 people in it and I think his mileage numbers are under ideal conditions to begin with. Aside form the great mileage it is a totally crappy car. He hates the car but loves the mileage. Still I think he woudl trade with his sister in a heartbeat.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,986 times
The 90's TC's are very overlooked by people that just want something comfy, reliable, and big enough to hold the entire family with room to spare without wanting an SUV size like vehicle to have to haul around. You can find them on the cheap too, but nice ones with low miles are starting to become a little harder to find depending on what part of the country you live in.

I used to own a 93 TC Executive, and even though it was the base model, it was a nice car that literally felt like you were riding on a cloud.

Everybody associates them as being "old man" cars, but remember, TC's were mobsters 1# choice vehicles of transportation for a reason.. They look classy, and are very masculine rides that some people might think are a little gangster, but hey, at least people won't mess with you if they do.

After 97, the TC's looked super bland, and lost a lot of it's character and styling of the previous models. They were smaller inside too. There's less shoulder, and hip room in the 98's vs the 90-97 models. The early 90's TC interiors felt massive inside, with lot's of rear seat legroom which is definitely noticeable when going to a 98 on up Townies.

At the same time, I can understand why someone wouldn't dare being seen in one, as they can seem a little stodgy to certain types of people, ones that care very much about their image.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,856,746 times
I inherited my mom's 05 deVille and decided to keep it with 35K . It was her 80th birthday present. I knew we wouldn't get any money out of it if we tried to sell it as has been mentioned. I am driving it now and put about 12K which included a big trip last year. If I am careful, I can get 17-18 MPG in town. We got between 25-28 on the road. Great road car. I will keep it and baby it until it starts costing a lot to keep up. Only thing I don't like is parking it as I have been used to Honda Accord's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln