Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times

Advertisements

Not sure where they are going but sales seem to be doing OK. I don't see the appeal of the quasi-minivans (MKX & MKT). Nothing in their lineup appeals to me, but they do seem to be appealing to other people. The Navigator has classic SUV looks. It's almost as if the Navigator was de-blinged after the last generation. It works.

I don't think that Lincoln is doomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
They're doomed. I still can't get past that ugly grill. I don't know what they were smoking when they designed that thing.

Agree.

Not sure how Lincoln is going to survive if the future they price cars like they price the current MKS which is so overpriced.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
The Avalon is a pretty big car. The new 2013 is actually 2 inches shorter than the 2012 Avalon which was 197" long. It still would look small next to a Towncar though.
I've seen a few Avalons in parking lots. I wouldn't consider them "big" or even "pretty big." Especially considering that are about the same size as my former 1966 Dodge Dart GT V-8, which was and felt like a compact car.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:38 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've seen a few Avalons in parking lots. I wouldn't consider them "big" or even "pretty big." Especially considering that are about the same size as my former 1966 Dodge Dart GT V-8, which was and felt like a compact car.
While overall length and wheelbase are about identical, the interior volume is considerably larger on the Avalon. Look at how little overhang there is on it vs the Dart (the Dart has a much smaller passenger compartment in relation to it's length):

Interior volume is where the SAE makes the determination on what size class the car is in.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
While overall length and wheelbase are about identical, the interior volume is considerably larger on the Avalon. Look at how little overhang there is on it vs the Dart (the Dart has a much smaller passenger compartment in relation to it's length):

Interior volume is where the SAE makes the determination on what size class the car is in.
Thanks for posting the photo... it reminds me again that it's not a big car.

When the person I replied to said it's "pretty big," I think he was going by exterior size, not by interior volume. Because he did say it looks small compared to the Lincoln Town Car.

BTW, my '66 Dart had a 17.3 cu-ft capacity trunk, quite a bit bigger than the Avalon's.

I also know that 3 passengers in the back seat of an Avalon would be cramped because it's not a wide car.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:58 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Thanks for posting the photo... it reminds me again that it's not a big car.

When the person I replied to said it's "pretty big," I think he was going by exterior size, not by interior volume. Because he did say it looks small compared to the Lincoln Town Car.

BTW, my '66 Dart had a 17.3 cu-ft capacity trunk, quite a bit bigger than the Avalon's.
You can see that in the amount of trucnk behind the rear window. Though the Avalon has a pass through, so it can have quite a bit of "trunk space" for long items if need be.

Quote:
I also know that 3 passengers in the back seat of an Avalon would be cramped because it's not a wide car.
It's about 6 inches wider than the Dart. It's about the same size in the back as my old 7 series BMW and that fit 3 without a problem.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:24 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
Since when were the luxury brands of any builder anything more than dolled up versions of their lesser price cousins? You take the lesser price volume brand and figure out what you can do to it to raise its price.

Lincoln is doing just what everyone else is doing - downsizing their luxury brands so they ride on the same wheelbase as the poverty brand. Even Hyundai shrunk their Genesis to make it wheelbase compatible. They are all doing it.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Some of you are way too optimistic about Lincoln. They sold over 200,000 cars in 1990. Sales in 2010 were just 82,000.

Lincoln's average buyer is 65 years old.

The new MKZ, all things considered, is still an upscale Ford Fusion. Glass roofs don't define a car or brand for very long.

Lincoln styling is different, but not in a good way. Their powertrains are boring. They have not one vehicle with high performance. A person under 40 years old with $50K to spend will not buy a Lincoln today. They will buy a German car, a Lexus, an Infiniti, a Cadillac, or even a Hyundai Genesis before they choose a Lincoln.

If they build a land barge car like the Town Car, that will make Fleet happy, and just 5000 more people. Lincoln needs something that at least 100,000 people want to buy if the brand is to survive and be relevant.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:49 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Some of you are way too optimistic about Lincoln. They sold over 200,000 cars in 1990. Sales in 2010 were just 82,000.

Lincoln's average buyer is 65 years old.

The new MKZ, all things considered, is still an upscale Ford Fusion. Glass roofs don't define a car or brand for very long.

Lincoln styling is different, but not in a good way. Their powertrains are boring. They have not one vehicle with high performance. A person under 40 years old with $50K to spend will not buy a Lincoln today. They will buy a German car, a Lexus, an Infiniti, a Cadillac, or even a Hyundai Genesis before they choose a Lincoln.

If they build a land barge car like the Town Car, that will make Fleet happy, and just 5000 more people. Lincoln needs something that at least 100,000 people want to buy if the brand is to survive and be relevant.
I'm optimistic because we have seen the turnaround with the Ford brand. Every criticism you have lobbied is directed toward pre-Max Wolfe Lincoln. Give the new guy a chance to prove himself. There has been a massive structural and cultural change at Lincoln that has gotten little press, and we haven't been shown any models designed completely under Wolfe yet.

The last five years were time and money invested in Ford's turnaround. Lincoln is the next five.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I wouldn't buy a Cadillac because there are no more full-sized Cadillacs anymore. I won't even mention the "big" German cars or Lexus or Infiniti or Hyundai.

Quote:
I prefer to call them full-sized (actual full-sized" luxury cars. Rolls-Royce still builds big cars; why not Lincoln? Even if only 5,000 are sold each years, at least give people the option of buying a full-sized car. BTW, I see quite a few Lincoln Town Cars where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln