Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,419,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinNY View Post
I think the 2008 Ford Taurus is a great, family car. Its restyled with a new powerful V6 that produces 260 HP. Its powerful, handles good for a large car, interior huge and safe. It definitely not a sport car but a nice family oriented car. I should sell well once the word gets out.
For the life of me, I can't figure out why Ford didn't offer a V-8 option for the Five Hundred (err, I mean Taurus). Major mistake, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,328,101 times
Yeah - I just don't understand all the love for the V-6s anyway. They don't get THAT much better mileage.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,287,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The thing is, I can point out people who have had trouble with imported cars and also threw in the towel and will never buy one.

Such as these letters from Motor Trend:
"I purchased a Toyota GT-S last September with the feeling of having a reliable, well-built car. After only four months, the paint was cracking on the hood and the headlights collect moisture and must be wiped out periodically.
After only 3,000 miles, the cruise control quit working and after 6,000 miles, the left rear bearing was shot. It seems Toyota didn't put enough lubrication in the rearend."
- Steve Xikouloutakis, Baltimore, MD, June, 1983

"Here we go again going through the cycle of putting the Honda Civic at the top of foreign car comparisons for 1984. My message is that the Honda will probably self-destruct at about 50,000 miles. How do I know? My family has had this experience with four different Hondas. Thank goodness we have some downrated American-made cars for a backup."
- Douglas H. Jenkins, M.D., Richmond, KY, July, 1984

"I bought a [Porsche] 914 two liter in July. Six days later the hand brake failed and let the car drift into a tree. This cost $900. In the next two months, the car had to be towed three times for distances up to 150 miles from my home to the dealership. By November the car had been at the dealership six times, for a total of about 45 days of the 100 I owned it. Now I am at the dealership trying to find out why the poor thing quit last night (what is "threw a rod?").
- Ron Jones, Philippi, WV, Mar., 1975

"Regarding your article in the Nov. issue about the [Jaguar] XJ6 and XJ12 motor cars.
I can assure you that they are not what the customer would expect for the price tag that goes with them. My car for the first 10,000 miles had approximately 15 or more discrepancies and at 25,000 miles the car had 37 discrepancies; 12 of these were safety items and were due to poor factory workmanship, testing and quality inspection... Since 0 miles, the car has had a leaking transmission gasket, leaking differential gasket, leaking power steering tubing joint. The dealer replaced the transmission gasket three times and it still leaked. Ask the one that knows and owns an XJ6."
- George E. Burton, San Diego, CA, Feb., 1973

"I just had to write and tell you my experience with today's American-made cars. I've had three new cars- a G.M., a Chrysler and a Ford product- in the last four years and only have had one small problem. The dealer fixed it quickly the first time with no fuss. Today's cars and their quality have got to be the best ever. Since it seems you are down on American cars, I doubt if this will ever get printed, but I want you to know that one person, at least, is satisfied with our American products."
- Arthur L. Jaeger, Jr., Mount Clemens, MI, Mar, 1973

"You were right about the MG Midget... right about everything except low cost of maintenance. I've had my Midget 14 months now (it was new when I bought it) and have spent $494.51 for maintenance and repairs. Would you believe $263.49 for a new clutch and 18,000-mile check-up? The engine had to be removed to get to the clutch. Sure it saves gas, but economical? That's a joke."
- Charletta Floyd, Chicago, Il, Nov., 1973

"How could you predict 150,000 miles for the Mercedes 220 sedan with no major repairs? I've had two Mercedes, the first one a '64 220-SE which needed a complete overhaul of the injection pump at 42,000 miles because it was running lean and burned the valves. The valve job and injection pump cost about $550 and then there is the German-made mufflers which last about 1 and 1/2 years.
The second Mercedes was a '68 250 SE. It burned a quart of oil every 500 miles. At 40,000 miles, it had a rear-end howl and used a quart of oil every 200 miles. The injection pump went rich and I was getting 12.5 mpg. Here's what it cost me: $400, new differential; $1,300, overhaul engine; $300, overhaul injection pump. I traded the M-B in on a Dodge Polara and it will do the 150,000 mile bit you're talking about."
Arthur Soltwedel, Northridge, CA, Jan., 1974.

Make sure your brother reads this post.
Wow, thats amazing. You managed to find a handful of complaints out of the millions of Japanese and German cars on the raod (old ones at that) that had some problems. Ill tell you what chief, what you just listed there was our daily GM service log at the dealership. No joke. Honda was so slow that 1/2 the times the techs sat around doing nothing. We lost 4 techs who went to work for other dealers because Honda's service department was so slow. Right next door was the GMC truck/Pontiac/Olds dealer that had cars lined up to the street (Rt. 64) waiting to get in the door for repair work. Come back to me when youve spent some time in the business and arent so blinded by your perception of American cars to be "reliable". Theyre not.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,328,101 times
I don't know about new GM cars but we had one in the 80s. a Buick. And so did more than a few relatives and people I know. Horrible unfixable troubles with all of them ... yeah that was 20 years ago, but we got burned so bad, I don't know if we will able to buy another GM ever. They have a big PR job ahead of them for sure.

Actually Buick was today just rated the #1 most reliable domestic car... go figure.

Our recent year fords have been good so far and we have/had more than a few - none that we got rid of were gotten rid of because they were cr*ppy - we just needed different vehicles.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:03 PM

24,499 posts, read 33,256,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Wow, thats amazing. You managed to find a handful of complaints out of the millions of Japanese and German cars on the raod (old ones at that) that had some problems. Ill tell you what chief, what you just listed there was our daily GM service log at the dealership. No joke. Honda was so slow that 1/2 the times the techs sat around doing nothing. We lost 4 techs who went to work for other dealers because Honda's service department was so slow. Right next door was the GMC truck/Pontiac/Olds dealer that had cars lined up to the street (Rt. 64) waiting to get in the door for repair work. Come back to me when youve spent some time in the business and arent so blinded by your perception of American cars to be "reliable". Theyre not.
Wow... a coincidence that all of the problematic cars ended up at your dealership! I've known quite a few people who have owned '80s and '90 GM cars and don't have continuous probelms with them.

Also, I just heard a report today that 93% of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars selling currently have above-average reliability.

But, hey, I'm not afraid to buy a new American car. I don't plan to but if I was in the market for a new car, it would be either a Mercury Grand Marquis (or a Lincoln Town Car if I wanted to spend that much) or some kind of Buick or possibly Cadillac).

So, you drive what you want and I'll drive what I want, but just get off the myth that if you buy a new American car it's going to be trouble-prone. Not true, and that would more apply to several models of new Mercedes, BMWs, Audis and VWs.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Wow... a coincidence that all of the problematic cars ended up at your dealership! I've known quite a few people who have owned '80s and '90 GM cars and don't have continuous probelms with them.

Also, I just heard a report today that 93% of Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars selling currently have above-average reliability.
I worked with GM products for over 5 years, constantly subjected to them and their horror stories. I witnessed some of the most horrific car things you could ever imagine while working for GM (ie blown trannies with 8 miles on them!!!). Taking the job at Honda was a breath of fresh air. Everything went like clockwork, parts arrived when they said they would, the cars ran like tops and started every day (a miracle compared to GM) even when super cold out, etc, etc. I think the worst thing I ever saw on a Honda was a trans job, and that was the ONLY one I saw in my 3 years with Honda! Its no joke that Japanese cars are FAR more reliable than their American rivals, which is sad. Im glad that things are slowly turning around for American automakers, but Im still not a believer nor will I ever buy a daily driver American car ever again. Ive seen too much and spent too much to ever reconsider, Ive been scarred.

And Im glad that Ford is 93% above average in reliability, but Im willing to bet that all Hondas, all Toyotas, etc are 100% above average. Whats even worse is that youd think that Ford, GM, Chrysler would have their act together after 100 years.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I worked with GM products for over 5 years, constantly subjected to them and their horror stories. I witnessed some of the most horrific car things you could ever imagine while working for GM (ie blown trannies with 8 miles on them!!!). Taking the job at Honda was a breath of fresh air. Everything went like clockwork, parts arrived when they said they would, the cars ran like tops and started every day (a miracle compared to GM) even when super cold out, etc, etc. I think the worst thing I ever saw on a Honda was a trans job, and that was the ONLY one I saw in my 3 years with Honda! Its no joke that Japanese cars are FAR more reliable than their American rivals, which is sad. Im glad that things are slowly turning around for American automakers, but Im still not a believer nor will I ever buy a daily driver American car ever again. Ive seen too much and spent too much to ever reconsider, Ive been scarred.

And Im glad that Ford is 93% above average in reliability, but Im willing to bet that all Hondas, all Toyotas, etc are 100% above average. Whats even worse is that youd think that Ford, GM, Chrysler would have their act together after 100 years.
In the top 5 of initial quality is Buick, Mercury and Cadillac. Get off that old myth that American cars are not well-built- keep up with the times!

Highly unlikely that ALL Hondas and Toyotas are 100% above average- especially with all of those recalls during the last 1-2 years.

Don't forget that the police cars and taxi cabs in many states use Ford Crown Victorias. They have proven themselves to be very reliable (and also roomy and comfortable). One of my car friends used to work at a place that serviced those cars and he said it was rare when they needed more than basic maintenance like oil changes and brake replacement.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workerbeeishere View Post
If I were FORD, GM, Chrysler, I would offer a 5yr/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty. Their sales would rebound in no time!
LISTEN UP BIG 3!!!!!!!
Ironically, many years ago, Chrysler did offer a 5-year/50,000 warranty. It began with the 1963 models.

Also, beginning in the early '60s, the transmission fluid in the Mopar automatics (according to the owner's manual) "will last the life of the car and does not need changing under normal driving conditions."

Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
In the top 5 of initial quality is Buick, Mercury and Cadillac. Get off that old myth that American cars are not well-built- keep up with the times!

Highly unlikely that ALL Hondas and Toyotas are 100% above average- especially with all of those recalls during the last 1-2 years.

Don't forget that the police cars and taxi cabs in many states use Ford Crown Victorias. They have proven themselves to be very reliable (and also roomy and comfortable). One of my car friends used to work at a place that serviced those cars and he said it was rare when they needed more than basic maintenance like oil changes and brake replacement.
Buicks are NOT reliable. Please, come visit the old dealer I used to work at. I have a buddy whos a tech at the local dealer. Im even seeing the vaunted new Enclave rolling in for repairs already.

Consumer Reports' Most Reliable | 1 | CNNMoney

Whats funny is that a few of the American cars that strangely found their way onto the "most reliable" list have Japanese engines (ie Pontiac Vibe).

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,019,159 times
The Vibe doesn't just have a Japanese engine. It's a Toyota, period. Nothing more than a re-badged Matrix, which itself is a modified Corolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln