U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM

9,308 posts, read 19,141,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Pretty sure you are mistaken because there would be no need for sub frame connectors on uni body cars if the folded sheet metal was strong enough to be considered a chassis.
Yes, because every singe unibody car on the road has subframe connectors. Except the ones that don't. Which is all of them that haven't been modified for performance, or are owned by poseurs.

Quote:
I looked up the definition just in case,

Automotive chassis, the frame, wheels, and machinery of a motor vehicle, on which the body is supported.
I looked up the definition as well.

Definition: The structural elements of a vehicle. A unibody chassis includes everything but bolted-on body panels. If a vehicle has a separate frame, the term chassis refers to the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The third Mustang was not modified to improve performance. They developed an entirely different car and then called it a Mustang even though it had nothing to do with Mustangs of its time.
Bingo!

Last edited by duster1979; 12-19-2012 at 04:23 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM

6,368 posts, read 15,493,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
No, he just takes every opportunity to remind everyone he owns a mustang. Whoppee
Unsigned comment on my reputation page about this^post "You've turned out to be a real putz"

Wonder who didn't have the balls to put their name with it

Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Well you know I am quite wealthy because I own a car worth almost 30K. Oh wait a minute so does almost every kid with a job.

I could be worse off I could be stuck driving what you own.
HA HA HA 30k? I got three times that in tools - but I don't have to keep telling everyone.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:40 PM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 16,807,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
HA HA HA 30k? I got three times that in tools - but I don't have to keep telling everyone.
Now who's bragging? Wow 90K in tools how about some pictures,that should be quite impressive.

BTW, have I posted any pictures? lap times, Et's. mods I did to my car. No I just mentioned I have a Mustang when the occasion arises. Take a look lots of guys post multiple pictures of their collection. I own one car. I don't own a luxury car. I don't own a race car I don't own 90K in tools but because a couple of times I mentioned I have a Mustang somehow I am a braggart.

I don't mind a little banter back and forth on occasion about our favorite drivers but you are just getting to be a little annoying anymore.

Thanks for being a great guy.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:

...Thanks for being a great guy.
No problem. Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones

Old 12-19-2012, 07:35 PM

307 posts, read 599,915 times
90k in tools.... You better be making space ships.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 PM

5,996 posts, read 16,799,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgix6 View Post
90k in tools.... You better be making space ships.
It can add up quick with high end name brand tools.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:12 PM

307 posts, read 599,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It can add up quick with high end name brand tools.
I guess so.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM

10,819 posts, read 15,193,728 times
Well, depends on how much of a "car guy" you are.

To own and maintain the dedicated race car, you'd need to have a fairly large shop with all manner of lifts, hoists, some fabrication equipment, bodywork facilities, a toy hauler with maintenance equipment, a truck to haul the toy hauler, and a team of people to help you at the track. So, if you're an extremely well-heeled car guy who owns a garage... hells yeah man! Go for it.

Inasmuch as I don't have any of that stuff myself (yet), I'd take the orange one.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM

10,819 posts, read 15,193,728 times
Quote:
I only have to go to the garage to look over a Mustang. Exactly where do I find the chassis that your talking about? The Mustang has been a unibody since 1964 1/2.
Sigh.

This is a tube chassis:

This is a tube chassis with Audi panels bolted to it to look like a 90's Audi S2 Coupe:

See how there's no factory, metal frame inside the hood, and you can see the other side of the carbon fiber panels and the tops of the tires? That's because it's literally just panels bolted onto a tube frame. In this case, the tube frame was welded together by a bunch of guys at a shop in Sweden. It was made to fit a BMW M5 engine and drivetrain, and fit the panels of an Audi coupe. It's not really an Audi or BMW at all. It's a totally bespoke, custom car.

They could have put panels from a Mustang, a Civic hatch, or had custom fiberglass work done to make it look like a giant foot with googly-eyes if they wanted to. The tube frame is just that... a frame.

The engine in that "Mustang" racer may be an original Ford block, or it could be a Ford design that was machined to race specifications an independent fabrication shop from raw materials. Most of the parts on it are probably sourced from manufacturers other than Ford. There's probably very, very little "Ford" or "Mustang" about it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln