Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM

192 posts, read 298,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post

Bronco with 408 windsor stroker mudding - YouTube

I mean a look how much a 30 year old Full size Bronco can take where the term Built Ford Tough was alive and sure it may not about be able to park it self and chrome 20" Rims and low profile tires or all the massive center mounted touch screens and TV /DVD systems for the back seats and along with back up sensors and cameras the now have.

A 1980-96 Full-Size Bronco may of only had 2 Doors and a fold down tailgate but like the K-5, Ram Charger, Jeep XJ where they all were SUV's that were built to take a beating and could also Tow and be taken off-Road and used to haul home a stack of 4'x8' sheet of ply wood with the back seat out.
Well they do look col, and can do off road type*stuff, but A. Most people don't need that capability , and all the cars you mentioned get like 10 miles per gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 12:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,449,538 times
I can't help but think that people who want giant trucks for their personal transportation need some kind of therapy.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I can't help but think that people who want giant trucks for their personal transportation need some kind of therapy.
Why?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM

174 posts, read 596,754 times
The truth of the matter is that most SUVs today are nothing more tham glorifed station wagons designed to be suburban cruisers. When I think of a real SUV what comes to mind is the late 80s Ford Broncos and Jeeps from that time period. The old school Toyota land Cruisers also come to mind. Now those vehicles could actually do some serious off roading. Try doing that with a new Ford Explorer or a Chevy Tahoe. Good Luck.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE-Ed View Post
The truth of the matter is that most SUVs today are nothing more tham glorifed station wagons designed to be suburban cruisers. When I think of a real SUV what comes to mind is the late 80s Ford Broncos and Jeeps from that time period. The old school Toyota land Cruisers also come to mind. Now those vehicles could actually do some serious off roading. Try doing that with a new Ford Explorer or a Chevy Tahoe. Good Luck.
Right, you all keep regurgitating the same thing that no one is surprised to hear and expecting some kind of positive feedback. For the ten people who do some serious off roading, many options are available on both the used and new car market. For everyone else who doesn't do serious off roading, the current selection of SUV's/CUV's will do just fine. I don't bother trying to tell my economy car loving friends and co workers that their Civics or Corollas don't communicate the feel of the road in the same way as a sports car or that they don't accelerate or handle corners nearly as fast because I know they don't care. I'll enjoy my car and have the decency to allow everyone else to their own reasonable choices.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I agree the SUV/CUV are really neutered grocery getters (a.k.a. b*tchmobiles) compared to the SUVs of old. I don't buy one to solve my dislike for them but these type of cars also tend to have horrible drivers behind the wheel.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Definitly not made like they used to. Thats when a truck was a truck. If I wanted my truck to drive like a car id go buy a station wagon. I want to know that if I want to jerk the wheel off the road and drive through a stream and woods that I can, even if I never do, just knowing I can. I want to be able to not be afraid to drive over a curb if I have to or over a big branch, I want to drive through flooded areas where everyone else is finding a place to go around.

We have become a bland boring society that does not take pride in their vehicles like they once did. Everything looks the same and very few have any character at all.

I told my wife before my Expedition dies im going to have to restore something that will be able to take its place because there will be zero choices left on the market for what I look for in a truck.

This topic reminds me of the show Home Improvement...I want a mans truck ARR ARR ARR.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,226,693 times
Am I the only one that thinks of OJ Simpson whenever you hear Ford Bronco?

Old 01-02-2013, 11:55 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
I have a crossover wagon and a truck. I see no real benefit to combining them into one vehicle. I certainly don't want to toss a half cord of firewood or haul a load of rotten smelly garbage in the interior of my car!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln