Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 05:34 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,645,966 times

Advertisements

I thought I would add a post since I have seen a few others bringing it up. I also give a quick 2k mile review.

So I just had another car and needed to upgrade in size for my car, and wanted to keep with a Cash car. I have always had a Crown Vic in the back of my head.

I found one at a car new car dealer, it was a 2002, with 92k. After quick negotiations, $4300. (Charleston area used cars are a little bit pricier) Wasn't the worst, but it was a fair price, a dealer so easier transaction, also car had new air filter, fluids all looked new, and had a carfax with good reasonable history, and only one previous owner, lots of normal maintenance. It is a 4.6L A4 w/ 2.73 gears.

Honestly its great, the ride is smooth as hell, it actually doesn't handle that bad, its hard to explain their is cushion, then it tightens up and holds pretty well. I generally have driven RWD and I feel better with it. More predictable and feels right.

It is extremely roomy. one forward facing full baby seat, and a rear facing babyseat, fit fine int he back seat, lots of room to get them in and out, and you can still fit a person back there.

The trunk, is jsut rediculous with open space, I'd almost argue it has more then some small SUVs(with seat up)

Front seat, with a rear facing seat behind, me I can still lounge and be comfortable being 6'5". Passenger seat is plent comfortable. Being a civilian version I have a bench front, actually has a 3rd seatbelt. We forgot the last time a good friend of mine was here to have her sit in the front seat with me and my wife just to see what its like. I am sure its uncomfortable since the transmission tunnel, but it is there if needed.

As for amenities, simple, but has the things I like. Autolights, cruise control, power everything.

As for gas, I have been averaging about 20 MPG, I took a good day road trip to savannah, GA, about 1.5-2 hours one way driving around the city, then a 2 hour drive. Good 85 mph runs, I hit 25mpg on that tank. Which really surprised me, but it does have 2.73 gears, so its a highway cruiser.

The car handles much better then you would expect, it is funny when I take a corner the bench seat offers crappy support, I hug the fold down armrest. LOL But its not exactly a Recaro seat with a 5 point harness.

Its got decent pickup, not show stopping but it will move, the 2.73s make it lackluster off the line, but from a rolll it gets up in more, but I drove several police versions with 3.27 and 3.55 gears and they were actually pretty dang peppy.

Now for parts... these things are DIRT CHEAP, and so far easy to work on. Needed a new push button for my fuel door latch. I stopped by the junkyard to scout for parts for my project car, and I was able to disassemble the entire door and get the parts I needed with a basic keychain tool. I guess its the lack of "updates" but it really makes alot of money.

$100 for shocks
4 New Shock Absorbers Strut Assemblies 83 02 Police Car Taxi Full Set 40152 | eBay
$200 for pads/rotors all 4 corners
Front Rear Kit 4 Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and 8 Ceramic Pads | eBay

Also the drivetrain shares part with the F150, and Mustang, and the F150 is the most sold vehicle int he world.

I threw in a nice alpine head unit, with bluetooth/usb/etc... Works great, and provides good handsfree usage.

So far happy with it. Good cheap reliable car. Great whle we keep killing off debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:36 PM

21 posts, read 75,659 times
Aren't they known to catch on fire like if you got in an accident?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover14 View Post
in certine high speed rear end collisions, thats why they have the "fire suspression" system attacthed to the rear axle

Old 03-12-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeRover14 View Post
There were concerns but honestly, the numbers of actual accidents, the cases of where the cars had issues(example, sitting on the side of the highway/road getting rearended by a speeder) and the fact that police LIVE in their cars so they proportionately spend more time then the average person.

The same design is was used for like 30 years.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The crown vic is an awesome car. Some of the police interceptor models had overdrive failures. Part of that is not locking it out of overdrive when getting in the throttle. Or firewalling it. Once you get up highway speed unlock OD. The 4.6 is nearly bulletproof.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
I would avoid the drilled and slotted rotors on that car. Especially cheap ones from ebay. It's a really big car with relatively undersized brakes. You will notice cracks in your rotors very quickly. You are better off with a solid disk and good pads. Look at EBC pads if you want a good performance pas for the car.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:58 AM

805 posts, read 1,870,922 times
Nice review....I hope you continue to enjoy your car.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
I would avoid the drilled and slotted rotors on that car. Especially cheap ones from ebay. It's a really big car with relatively undersized brakes. You will notice cracks in your rotors very quickly. You are better off with a solid disk and good pads. Look at EBC pads if you want a good performance pas for the car.
I agree brakez are fine now, to be honest I put that set on another car and they worked phenominally for the price. Were some better pads better, but hands down better then what is found at your local autoparts store, no cracking or other issuezn. Just the typical whirrrr on hard breaking asso iated with slotted rotors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I thought I would add a post since I have seen a few others bringing it up. I also give a quick 2k mile review.

So I just had another car and needed to upgrade in size for my car, and wanted to keep with a Cash car. I have always had a Crown Vic in the back of my head.

I found one at a car new car dealer, it was a 2002, with 92k. After quick negotiations, $4300. (Charleston area used cars are a little bit pricier) Wasn't the worst, but it was a fair price, a dealer so easier transaction, also car had new air filter, fluids all looked new, and had a carfax with good reasonable history, and only one previous owner, lots of normal maintenance. It is a 4.6L A4 w/ 2.73 gears.

Honestly its great, the ride is smooth as hell, it actually doesn't handle that bad, its hard to explain their is cushion, then it tightens up and holds pretty well. I generally have driven RWD and I feel better with it. More predictable and feels right.

It is extremely roomy. one forward facing full baby seat, and a rear facing babyseat, fit fine int he back seat, lots of room to get them in and out, and you can still fit a person back there.

The trunk, is jsut rediculous with open space, I'd almost argue it has more then some small SUVs(with seat up)

Front seat, with a rear facing seat behind, me I can still lounge and be comfortable being 6'5". Passenger seat is plent comfortable. Being a civilian version I have a bench front, actually has a 3rd seatbelt. We forgot the last time a good friend of mine was here to have her sit in the front seat with me and my wife just to see what its like. I am sure its uncomfortable since the transmission tunnel, but it is there if needed.

As for amenities, simple, but has the things I like. Autolights, cruise control, power everything.

As for gas, I have been averaging about 20 MPG, I took a good day road trip to savannah, GA, about 1.5-2 hours one way driving around the city, then a 2 hour drive. Good 85 mph runs, I hit 25mpg on that tank. Which really surprised me, but it does have 2.73 gears, so its a highway cruiser.

The car handles much better then you would expect, it is funny when I take a corner the bench seat offers crappy support, I hug the fold down armrest. LOL But its not exactly a Recaro seat with a 5 point harness.

Its got decent pickup, not show stopping but it will move, the 2.73s make it lackluster off the line, but from a rolll it gets up in more, but I drove several police versions with 3.27 and 3.55 gears and they were actually pretty dang peppy.

Now for parts... these things are DIRT CHEAP, and so far easy to work on. Needed a new push button for my fuel door latch. I stopped by the junkyard to scout for parts for my project car, and I was able to disassemble the entire door and get the parts I needed with a basic keychain tool. I guess its the lack of "updates" but it really makes alot of money.

$100 for shocks
4 New Shock Absorbers Strut Assemblies 83 02 Police Car Taxi Full Set 40152 | eBay
$200 for pads/rotors all 4 corners
Front Rear Kit 4 Performance Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors and 8 Ceramic Pads | eBay

Also the drivetrain shares part with the F150, and Mustang, and the F150 is the most sold vehicle int he world.

I threw in a nice alpine head unit, with bluetooth/usb/etc... Works great, and provides good handsfree usage.

So far happy with it. Good cheap reliable car. Great whle we keep killing off debt.
Thanks for posting. The Panther cars (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Town Car) are in a class by themselves as the very best buy in a used car today.

There is a reason that the body-on-frame, RWD design was the gold standard in American cars for decades before the powers-that-be herded the herdable toward transverse engine, FWD putt-putt cars. Most kids today laugh at the idea of driving a Crown Vic while having no idea what they're missing.

I have the 2.73 gears as well and on the highway my instant mileage computer number is usually right around 30mpg. Closer to 40 with a slight down-slope. Been a long time since I took a real road trip and calculated it by actual gallons and miles, though. My around-town average is 17.4

I've had mine for about 8 years now and have learned a lot about the small issues that the Panthers are known for. Things like blend door problems with the EATC and gearshift lever issues. Fixed the gearshift lever myself after going online and finding a great YouTube video illustrating exactly what to look for and do under the dash.

Nice as the Crown Vics are, the Town Car is an even nicer version of the same platform. I've got my eye on the market here for a 96 or 97 Town Car as I wouldn't consider replacing my Crown Vic with anything less.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM

Oddly enough besides the few changes I think they can look decent.

Here is my car, haven't figured exactly what I want to do yet, but I want to give it a good detailing, already got rid of the wind deflectors ont he windows(amazing how much road noise they made)

I was thinking of doing something like this(half painted grill, mustang wheels, and maybe dual exhaust off a Interceptor)

or doing the cop theme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln