Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In what age range do you fall?
Under 21 3 10.71%
21-30 5 17.86%
31-40 9 32.14%
41-50 4 14.29%
51-60 2 7.14%
61-70 2 7.14%
71+ 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I remember I was just stating a few interesting statistics.

BTW, what would you rather own:

1. A 1966 Mopar
2. A 2006 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord

Fortunately I will never have to settle for any of the above. If you're insisting on my choosing the least of the evils, it would be the Accord.

I'd own it for about 5 minutes, sell it, and put the funds toward something more like this....

1966 Pontiac Catalina Convertible - Survivor Class Winner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Fortunately I will never have to settle for any of the above. If you're insisting on my choosing the least of the evils, it would be the Accord.

I'd own it for about 5 minutes, sell it, and put the funds toward something more like this....

1966 Pontiac Catalina Convertible - Survivor Class Winner
Smart idea... selling the Accord within 5 minutes!

If I ever win a big lotto jackpot, I will buy and ship to you a few Mopars so you can see what you are missing out on. A 1966 Plymouth Fury with a 383 or 440 like mine and maybe a 1969 Dodge Charger.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:12 AM

Well, the poll numbers are now shaping up pretty much as one would expect. But we haven't heard here from the most outspoken advocates of the new "Cadillacs"/skeptics of the classics*. I'd be very surprised, though, if they didn't fall with the 65% 40 and under - more likely 30 and under....and thus have no personal experience with the American classics* when they were new.

Sorry, Fleet, but since you've brought MOPAR into the thread, I must add a disclaimer.

* Ford and General Motors

Old 05-05-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Well, the poll numbers are now shaping up pretty much as one would expect. But we haven't heard here from the most outspoken advocates of the new "Cadillacs"/skeptics of the classics*. I'd be very surprised, though, if they didn't fall with the 65% 40 and under - more likely 30 and under....and thus have no personal experience with the American classics* when they were new.

Sorry, Fleet, but since you've brought MOPAR into the thread, I must add a disclaimer.

* Ford and General Motors
Keeping it lighthearted...

There are no classic Mopars?

What is it you don't like about them? I know someone who is a big Ford fan... his favorite is the '66-'67 Fairlane. But he also likes the '65 Chevy Impala and the '66 Plymouth Sport Fury and the '69 Plymouth GTX. I am the same way. I like most of the big 3 from the 1960s. GM, Ford and Mopar all made good cars.

And the interior (and exterior) of my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP is just as nice as a '66 Ford Galaxie or '66 Chevy Caprice...

Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Keeping it lighthearted...

There are no classic Mopars?

What is it you don't like about them? I know someone who is a big Ford fan... his favorite is the '66-'67 Fairlane. But he also likes the '65 Chevy Impala and the '66 Plymouth Sport Fury and the '69 Plymouth GTX. I am the same way. I like most of the big 3 from the 1960s. GM, Ford and Mopar all made good cars.

And the interior (and exterior) of my '66 Plymouth Fury VIP is just as nice as a '66 Ford Galaxie or '66 Chevy Caprice...

There are no classic MOPARs worth talking about. And most certainly no classic MOPARs that I would stake even my C-D reputation on touting them as superior to today's junk. Because they weren't.

MOPARs of that vintage were yesterday's junk. They looked like junk, they sounded like junk, they felt like junk. The vast majority of the car buying public agreed....and that's why Ford and Chevy out-sold Plymouth by 6.42 to 1 in 1966. And those few who did buy MOPAR were die-hards from a by-gone era. You cannot possibly drive your Cadillacs and your Town Car and not see, hear, and feel the night and day difference. So I frankly don't know what your agenda is in defending them.

I'm here to advocate for the Ford and GM classics that were, as I have said, the best there ever was. I'm certainly not here to defend cars that nobody wanted - even back then - for good reason.

Sorry, Fleet, but you asked again so I answered. And this is actually the "lite" version of my viewpoint. Now I'm hoping we can finally agree to disagree.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times
I really don't know much about Dodge's and Chryslers in general, but it seems to me that some of the statements regarding MOPAR's are on Par when compared to Ford and GM cars.

I am not saying that they were all bad cars, but if you look at history, you will notice more cars from Ford and GM were sold over the MOPAR stuff.

The muscle car era was when Dodge's really shined if we're talking on strictly performance. MOPAR's had great engines and transmissions during the 50's-60's, the Torqueflite being one of the better transmissions in those days and the HEMI's and 440's were really good motors.

But as far as reliability? I don't know, Chrysler's and Dodge's have been considered problematic cars, and just cheap feeling overall. I hear this all the time from older people, and even people that have owned a Dodges over the years, including myself which I once had a 88 Caravan which was garbage and had all kinds of problems under 100,000 miles for the 3 years I owned it.

Some things they did better, some thing's they didn't. One quality unique feature of the Chrysler Imperials in the 60's was the use of the Torsion-spring suspension. It made for a nice ride, with being able to adjust how firm or soft you wanted the car to feel. But if Ford and GM used coil springs, that must of meant something back then, either it meant that cars with coils rode softer and were able to shake off bad road imperfections better than a Torsion-Ride Imperial, or maybe it simply cost too much to design for a Cadillac or Lincoln? Who knows, but the sales figures say it all, Cadillac and Lincoln both outsold the Chrysler single handily. I do like the 75-78 Chrysler Cordoba's, those were really cool looking cars.

MOPAR vehicles just weren't that popular among classic car enthusiast, or at least they aren't as popular compared to a Chevy or a Ford whatever. They're still cool cars especially the new Chargers, Challengers and the Chrysler 300.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I really don't know much about Dodge's and Chryslers in general, but it seems to me that some of the statements regarding MOPAR's are on Par when compared to Ford and GM cars.
I know quite a bit about them. On average, they drove and rode very similar to GM and Fords.

Quote:
I am not saying that they were all bad cars, but if you look at history, you will notice more cars from Ford and GM were sold over the MOPAR stuff.
Ford and GM were/are much bigger companies. They could afford to advertise more than Chrysler could. The Packard was a good car, even though they didn't sell anywhere near as many as Cadillac did.

Quote:
The muscle car era was when Dodge's really shined if we're talking on strictly performance. MOPAR's had great engines and transmissions during the 50's-60's, the Torqueflite being one of the better transmissions in those days and the HEMI's and 440's were really good motors.
Yes, the Torqueflite is an excellent transmission. And I do like the Hemi and 440 engines. Also the 340 and 383 engines.

Quote:
But as far as reliability? I don't know, Chrysler's and Dodge's have been considered problematic cars, and just cheap feeling overall. I hear this all the time from older people, and even people that have owned a Dodges over the years, including myself which I once had a 88 Caravan which was garbage and had all kinds of problems under 100,000 miles for the 3 years I owned it.
When I say "Mopar," I basically mean '60s/early-'70s Mopars. And those were rugged and reliable in most cases. The '80s Mopars are mere shadows of what they used to be.

Quote:
Some things they did better, some thing's they didn't. One quality unique feature of the Chrysler Imperials in the 60's was the use of the Torsion-spring suspension. It made for a nice ride, with being able to adjust how firm or soft you wanted the car to feel. But if Ford and GM used coil springs, that must of meant something back then, either it meant that cars with coils rode softer and were able to shake off bad road imperfections better than a Torsion-Ride Imperial, or maybe it simply cost too much to design for a Cadillac or Lincoln? Who knows, but the sales figures say it all, Cadillac and Lincoln both outsold the Chrysler single handily. I do like the 75-78 Chrysler Cordoba's, those were really cool looking cars.
All the '60s Mopars had the torsion-bar suspension, not just the Imperial. My '66 Dart GT V-8 had it and does my '66 Plymouth Fury. A car with coil springs rides softer and a Mopar with torsion-bar suspension usually handled a little better. Less nose dive under hard braking.

Quote:
MOPAR vehicles just weren't that popular among classic car enthusiast, or at least they aren't as popular compared to a Chevy or a Ford whatever. They're still cool cars especially the new Chargers, Challengers and the Chrysler 300.
The classic Chargers, Challengers and Chrysler 300 have no shortage of enthusiasts, too! Also the Super Bee, Dart GTS, Road Runner, GTX, etc.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:25 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,965 times
Quote:
You had/have a '79 Lincoln Town Car? Last year before the downsizing!

Still have it. Best deal I have ever bought. Paid $600 for it and found receipts in glove box totaling over $4000!! for work done the previous five years before I bought it. All at professional mechanic shops.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
Still have it. Best deal I have ever bought. Paid $600 for it and found receipts in glove box totaling over $4000!! for work done the previous five years before I bought it. All at professional mechanic shops.

There's still a lot of low-mileage classic Town Cars out there, many with owners who cared for them meticulously and are now elderly, and they are among the very best buys in a used car.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilldriveem View Post
Don't ever sell it; keep it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln