Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,086,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
So what you have to do is boycott Ford products from now on. Make it obvious, as the entire country of Australia, that you are horrendously dissatisfied with the decision to move production to less expensive countries. Ford won't make as much money with their slave-labor-produced cars if people don't buy them.

I wish we'd have boycotts of that scale in America. Maybe Australia can do it better than we ever have.
Maybe labor instead should take a global view and realize they have to compete also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:42 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,983,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Maybe labor instead should take a global view and realize they have to compete also.
Exactly. Everyone expects higher pay and consistent pay increases while the consumer wants a less expensive product or more bang for the buck. These two demands are at odds and if we expect businesses to compete then we have to live with the consequence associated with running a competitive business.

These are the same jokers who complain about the demise of American manufacturing and then drive off to do their shopping at WalMart.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 05-23-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,655,644 times
I expect higher wage and living standard countries to install countervailing tariffs to negate any gains due to labor, environmental and government subsudies. The fact that these are absent proves the government is owned, or bribed, by business and not citizens.

Do boycott FORD and fire the political party that does not apply tariffs. The same goes for the guys making clothes.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:09 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,484,887 times
I'm surprised Australia has automotive manufacturing at all. High labor costs, high energy costs, small domestic market. You're basically in Ford of Asia's marketing sphere and they can build them in Thailand for a lot less. I don't know all the details of why Australians pay so much for cars, but its a bit of a shock that with a market the size of Canada's and a currency valued about the same you pay 50% more for the same vehicle.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,967,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
These are the same jokers who complain about the demise of American manufacturing and then drive off to do their shopping at WalMart.
No matter where ya shop most things are imported these days. It's not just that way at Walmart. The corporate boys want slave labor and bigger bonuses while still raising prices. The politicians are totally out of touch with the common man and his struggles. We worry about terrorists and yet we have the corporate kind in our own backyard making things worse.

OP, sorry to hear about the shutdown. Things change but not always for the better.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,575,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
So what you have to do is boycott Ford products from now on. Make it obvious, as the entire country of Australia, that you are horrendously dissatisfied with the decision to move production to less expensive countries. Ford won't make as much money with their slave-labor-produced cars if people don't buy them.

I wish we'd have boycotts of that scale in America. Maybe Australia can do it better than we ever have.

I am not sure if this is true, but I heard the United Nations pressured industrialized countries to move work to low cost countries to help them raise their standard of living.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:55 AM

5,994 posts, read 19,983,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
No matter where ya shop most things are imported these days. It's not just that way at Walmart. The corporate boys want slave labor and bigger bonuses while still raising prices. The politicians are totally out of touch with the common man and his struggles. We worry about terrorists and yet we have the corporate kind in our own backyard making things worse.

OP, sorry to hear about the shutdown. Things change but not always for the better.
I blame the consumer, corporations and politicians with equality.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,156,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Exactly. Everyone expects higher pay and consistent pay increases while the consumer wants a less expensive product or more bang for the buck. These two demands are at odds and if we expect businesses to compete then we have to live with the consequence associated with running a competitive business.

True. Walmart did nearly half a trillion dollars in business last year. This suggests that most people actually couldn't care less about low wages, near-slave labor practices, or all the other things people whine about in regards to manufacturing and selling goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I expect higher wage and living standard countries to install countervailing tariffs to negate any gains due to labor, environmental and government subsudies. The fact that these are absent proves the government is owned, or bribed, by business and not citizens.

Do boycott FORD and fire the political party that does not apply tariffs. The same goes for the guys making clothes.
Yes, let's all continue to manipulate pricing on everything. We certainly need an even more artificial world economy.

I read elsewhere that this means Ford will no longer sell fullsized RWD cars. To me that is as sad as the factory closing.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,220,575 times
You could thank Ford USA for the outcome.

So what's gonna happen to the billions of dollars the Oz government has handed to Ford.

Same thing with Holden, GM

Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,575,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
I read elsewhere that this means Ford will no longer sell fullsized RWD cars. To me that is as sad as the factory closing.

Ford has not sold a true full size RWD car in the US since the 1980s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln