Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Lincoln Launches Black Label on MKZ, MKC Concept - Motor Trend WOT

Guess some at Ford think a trim upgrade makes a brand luxury even though all your vehicle's foundations are based upon cheaper Ford vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
I've always been a big Ford fan, and a performance enthusiast, but Lincoln never won me over. I always perceived it as a boring luxury car.

If Lincoln would give itself a sporty image and attract more of the youth market, i think they would see growth. A nice Mark 9 sedan and coupe could be interesting. Base it on the Mustang chassis, V6 and V8 option, add a manual trans, sunroof, make it look nice, RWD or AWD and I think they would have a winner. I realize it's a limited market, but at least get a few pulses racing and get people thinking "That's a nice Lincoln" even if they can't own such a model.

Right now, the FWD (or FWD-baised AWD) sedans just look boring to drive. It's a shame too because up until recently I've been a faithful Ford owner. When i wanted to get a luxury car, Lincoln just didn't do anything for me. They still don;t.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:03 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Default Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've always been a big Ford fan, and a performance enthusiast, but Lincoln never won me over. I always perceived it as a boring luxury car.

If Lincoln would give itself a sporty image and attract more of the youth market, i think they would see growth. A nice Mark 9 sedan and coupe could be interesting. Base it on the Mustang chassis, V6 and V8 option, add a manual trans, sunroof, make it look nice, RWD or AWD and I think they would have a winner. I realize it's a limited market, but at least get a few pulses racing and get people thinking "That's a nice Lincoln" even if they can't own such a model.

Right now, the FWD (or FWD-baised AWD) sedans just look boring to drive. It's a shame too because up until recently I've been a faithful Ford owner. When i wanted to get a luxury car, Lincoln just didn't do anything for me. They still don;t.
I agree with this, I believe Ford should have kept Mercury with Lincoln as so many dealers were a few years back. Mercury should have been over hauled and new vehicles introduced as a youth brand, like Toyota's Scion. I also think Ford could have done some re-body models from Ford, like build a Cougar from the Mustang, but it must be a body change, not just grills, lights, and trim.

I also do not care for the looks of the new Lincoln, but I did attend one of their ride and drives and was truely impressed.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:14 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Ford just needs to suck it up and hire the guys from Cadillac that were responsible for its brand makeover and call it a day. They are failing miserably on their own.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Ford just needs to suck it up and hire the guys from Cadillac that were responsible for its brand makeover and call it a day. They are failing miserably on their own.
I said way back in January when the MKZ entered the market, that this would be the last year for Lincoln, and I still say that.
When people are not buying your product, that spells disaster, and unless you make the product that people want, it is good-bye to your business.
Bob.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM

21,828 posts, read 25,102,289 times
re-trim a re-badged Ford, what could possibly say luxury more than that?

Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 AM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
I thought Lincoln was on to something when they dropped the 32-valve V8 into the Mark VIII, but it didn't sell nearly enough units.

The current Lincoln lineup leaves a bit to be desired. About the last thing I liked from them was the 32-valve Navigator.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:01 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Or the people at Lexus who dress up the Camry as a Lexus and sell a whole lot of them.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
badge engineering is nothing new, in fact every automaker has done it, including gm, toyota, nissan, honda, etc. the worst at it was chrysler just before plymouth went away.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:09 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Lipstick on a pig. Current Lincoln's are probably pretty nice vehicles in reality, but I'm not 80 years old yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln