Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 720 times

Advertisements

OK, I could really use some help right now. I am the second owner of my truck. My father owned it before me and I know he took very good care of it. Its in excellent condition, or was until just recently . BTW, 84,000 miles.
I'm not sure if a little background will help but here goes; replaced the alternator last summer.
About 4 weeks ago the steering became rough, almost as if I had manual steering which I guess I pretty much did. Replace power steering pump. Started to leak fluid with the rough steering increasing. Took it to the shop and had the power steering gear box replaced. Still lose some fluid but as of right now that is the least of my worry. I am in another state so I am not able to take it back to the shop that did the repair. Not today anyway.

Now, the biggie. I have just relocated to a mountainous area. My ride into and back from the job site at 35 mph requires a constant pressure on the brake. There is a 350 foot drop on the other side of the guardrail so needless to say when my brake pedal became soft last Friday I had the brakes looked at right away. No leaks. No excessive wear. No noise. BTW, right now there are no rear brakes. A good friend crawled under the truck and checked the calibers and brakes lines, bleed the brakes. Still the pedal goes to the floor. While I was pumping up the brakes we both heard air escaping from what seemed to be the cap on the reservoir. Off to Auto Zone I go and buy, in 2 pieces of course, a new cap and rubber seal that inserts into the cap. Still no luck. Is it possible that there is a crake in the reservoir around the area that the cap screws on to, that could be causing the air getting into the lines? Naturally, that auto parts store does not sell the reservoir alone. Or could the master cylinder be leaking without a visible leak and or is it the brake booster?

Thank you for any insight and thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 12:09 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Leaks in the hose coming from the intake manifold to the booster sounds like the issue.

As for the steering issue, I believe the 04-08 trucks have issues with the intermediate steering shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8b8JStNezo

Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,413,204 times
Have you replaced your brake fluid? If there is air in the line the fluid needs to be bled and replaced, easy enough to do in a driveway. Have you inspected your pads for wear?

If you are needing to ride the brake you should consider putting the truck in a low gear. Riding the brakes can overheat them and reduce braking power when needed using the engine brake is the better route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln