Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We picked up our new 2014 Escape last night, and have put a couple of hundred miles on it today. I can only think of one negative thing to say about it, the nose is low so it will take some getting used to when parking headed into a wall, to judge how close you are. With some typical Seattle traffic we are still getting 19.5 mpg so far. All of the electronics were a little distracting at first but once you learn them they are great. We got the Deep Impact Blue which is a beautiful color and we can more easily spot it among all the silver cars. The sticker was $28,000 (4WD SE) but we got them down to $22,968. Living at the top of some hills, that little 1.6 turbo has more than enough power.
Great! Nice to see someone happy to buy domestic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 09:01 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
RESALE VALUE. Fords suck in this category. Those things drop value so quickly it's not funny.
Honda, on the other hand, tend to keep their value.

Why I do not know, I'm not a big honda fan.

I do not like fords either, I hated mine. I'm not a fan boy, or anything, I'll drive anything. I've yet to drive a post 90's ford I liked though.

There's just something about hondas that don't mesh with me. They are quality cars, but they don't suit me well.
Toyota is the same way.
Nissan, on the other hand, their cars fit me like a glove. They make some really strong cars as well. Resale is not as good as honda, but they make up for it with raw horse power.
The vq35 engine they use throughout their range is a monster. 300~ horse power. They scoot.

If I were to buy another brand new car (really I'd go with a GTR but I can't quite afford that, lol), I'd go with a Kia or Hyundai. Why? 10 year 100k warranty.
They have really improved lately. They make a solid car.

I've owned 52 cars/trucks/suvs of varying make and model. I've driven 75-100 other vehicles of varying make and model.
What do you think of Mitsubishis and Subarus?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:27 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I have a Nissan and a Ford. I like both of them.

When I drive my Maxima I feel like the old fart that I am.

When I drive my Mustang GT 5.0 six speed I fell like the teenager I was some fifty years ago.

BTW the Mustang out handles, is quicker and faster and get better mileage than the Nissan.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:07 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
We picked up our new 2014 Escape last night, and have put a couple of hundred miles on it today. I can only think of one negative thing to say about it, the nose is low so it will take some getting used to when parking headed into a wall, to judge how close you are. With some typical Seattle traffic we are still getting 19.5 mpg so far. All of the electronics were a little distracting at first but once you learn them they are great. We got the Deep Impact Blue which is a beautiful color and we can more easily spot it among all the silver cars. The sticker was $28,000 (4WD SE) but we got them down to $22,968. Living at the top of some hills, that little 1.6 turbo has more than enough power.
Interesting. My brother lives out by you, in Kent, and has TWO new Escapes. He bought one for himself and enjoys it so much he bought another as the family's second car. His has the 2.0 turbo and the second the 1.6. He's very enthusiastic about the cars and loves driving them.

His first Escape replaced a Hyundai Tucson which he bought new and only kept a couple of months before selling it and getting the Escape. He found the Hyundai to be capable but very boring.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You are lucky with the 2002 explorer; those through 2004 or 2005 I think are horrible in quality, mainly the trans and wheel bearings, and the plastic part of the lift window cracking.
2002 was the first year of the redesign, and they are always supposed to be the worst, yet mine's been great. I do have the plastic lift window crack. Happened last year when I drove to Colorado, really cold weather one night cracked it from top to bottom. The rest of the truck looks great, but I'm not going to spend $$ to fix a cosmetic issue on a 11 year old truck.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Quote:
My parents were getting bad mileage in their 2013 (2.0) until about 10K miles. Mileage instantly shot up.

Their 2.0 has a ridiculous amount of power.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 AM

6 posts, read 28,356 times
Ford’s stock price has been on fire over the past year. Every time it moves higher, I hear people saying “yes, but I want to buy on a pullback” and it never comes. Company has made massive changes since CEO Alan Mulally came to the helm. His leadership has been nothing short of extraordinary.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
My parents were getting bad mileage in their 2013 (2.0) until about 10K miles. Mileage instantly shot up.

Their 2.0 has a ridiculous amount of power.
I think every new car I have bought over the years improves in MPG after 8-10,000, when it's fully broken in, but even at 19.5 it's a lot better than the 14 we got in the previous vehicle.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
I think every new car I have bought over the years improves in MPG after 8-10,000, when it's fully broken in, but even at 19.5 it's a lot better than the 14 we got in the previous vehicle.
I agree. My f250 has 16000 mikes and I just averaged (hand calculated) 17mpg for an entire tank. Ive been able to get that cruising before but never with some mixed and on a full tank. Ive heard diesels often take 20k-30k miles to fully break in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-24-2013, 02:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you want to know a big reason why Ford has higher pricing, you don't need to have actual buying/shopping experience.

When GM went through their bailout with the US government, their union workers had to take a massive cut in pay. Ford on the other hand, didn't take any bailout money (because they'd just happened to secure a bunch of loans right before the crisis hit.) Their workers have a stronger contract with Ford than their counterparts do at GM now.

Ford's cost more because their labor costs are higher than GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. Some of that is reflected in the price of their vehicles.

You are paying for the pension of a guy who retired in 1977 and the last car he ever worked on was a Pinto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln