Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:01 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,669,421 times

Advertisements

We're in the market to replace one of our cars, and the front-runners - at the moment - are the Ford Escape Titanium (not my choice, FWIW) and Honda CRV EX-L. But, as I configured very similarly equipped cars on Ford's and Honda's web sites, I noticed that the Ford has a list price of more that $2,500 more - @$28,500 for CR-V versus @$31,000 for Escape! Just for the heck of it, I also configured a similar Toyota RAV4 XLE, and it came in at about $500 less than the Honda (it doesn't come with leather seats, though it does have a moonroof).

This isn't the first time I've experienced Ford sticker shock. A couple of years ago I bought a 2012 Toyota Camry SE, and I could not configure a Ford Fusion (old style) that was competitive with the Camry, considering what the Camry offered for the money.

Am I the only one who thinks Ford's pricing is whacked? Is this all illusory, and Ford offers its cars/SUVs at significant discount? Thanks for the help from those who've shopped for or purchased a Ford product recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:09 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
While that may be true, I also believe the domestic makers are more willing to make deals than the imports. At least that's my experience. Honda and Toyota are usually pretty close in being kind of tight on negotiating. I guess that's the benefit of years of building good quality cars but the gap, if there even is much of one these days, has closed.

Then again, depreciation also seems to hit Honda and Toyota less than the domestic makers and Hyundai.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times
No, its not whacked. The new Fusion/Escapes are much more competitive vehicles then before, and imo are much better vehicles its Honda/Toyota counterparts

Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No, its not whacked. The new Fusion/Escapes are much more competitive vehicles then before, and imo are much better vehicles its Honda/Toyota counterparts
With all due respect, and your opinion notwithstanding, I doubt that Ford executives take into account a feeling about their cars/trucks being "much better" than the competition when setting pricing. If they do, they're putting themselves at a distinct competitive disadvantage.

I'd love to be in the Ford marketing meetings when the following conversation takes place: "You know, our Escape is just so darn sweet, let's mark it up over that Honda/Toyota junk by a couple of grand and see how it flies!" Get real.

Again, I'm looking for actual buying/shopping experience, not fanboy comments (you'd probably be better posting your response on a Motor Trend or Car & Driver forum). Does someone have empirical experience with actually having gotten a Ford dealer down to a price competitive with a similarly equipped CR-V?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:34 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
If you want to know a big reason why Ford has higher pricing, you don't need to have actual buying/shopping experience.

When GM went through their bailout with the US government, their union workers had to take a massive cut in pay. Ford on the other hand, didn't take any bailout money (because they'd just happened to secure a bunch of loans right before the crisis hit.) Their workers have a stronger contract with Ford than their counterparts do at GM now.

Ford's cost more because their labor costs are higher than GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. Some of that is reflected in the price of their vehicles.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
rranger - with all due respect, I didn't read Me007gold's post as a fanboy post.

An automaker sets MSRP first by considering cost of the vehicle. Then they project how much they think people will pay for it - considering the competition. For a long time, Ford, just like GM and Chrysler, set MSRP at levels similar to the imports. They wanted to communicate that their vehicles were just as good as the competition. But they domestics sold for less because of lower quality. Honda, Toyota, and Subaru sold closer to MSRP.

Many Fords now are considered highly desirable vehicles in their class. Ford is selling so many Fusions that they are adding manufacturing capacity in Michigan because their Mexico plant is at capacity. So Ford pricing reflects market conditions. I don't know what selling price is (vs. MSRP), but you can find that out on sites like Edmunds.

I will offer one personal opinion. I like a lot of the current Fords, including the Escape. It looks great, handles well, and is very nicely equipped. I am not impressed though with the Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines. The 1.6 has less power, and doesn't get as good fuel economy as a more powerful Honda 4. And the bigger Ecoboost has less power, and doesn't get as good fuel economy as a V6 Honda. Look at the new Accord vs. the current Fusions. I also do not like touch screen electronics in cars. So MyFord Touch would be a negative to me.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
If you want to know a big reason why Ford has higher pricing, you don't need to have actual buying/shopping experience.

When GM went through their bailout with the US government, their union workers had to take a massive cut in pay. Ford on the other hand, didn't take any bailout money (because they'd just happened to secure a bunch of loans right before the crisis hit.) Their workers have a stronger contract with Ford than their counterparts do at GM now.

Ford's cost more because their labor costs are higher than GM, Toyota, Honda, etc. Some of that is reflected in the price of their vehicles.
Thank you; this actually makes sense.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I will offer one personal opinion. I like a lot of the current Fords, including the Escape. It looks great, handles well, and is very nicely equipped. I am not impressed though with the Ecoboost 4 cylinder engines. The 1.6 has less power, and doesn't get as good fuel economy as a more powerful Honda 4. And the bigger Ecoboost has less power, and doesn't get as good fuel economy as a V6 Honda. Look at the new Accord vs. the current Fusions. I also do not like touch screen electronics in cars. So MyFord Touch would be a negative to me.
Thanks for the information. I haven't driven an Ecoboost car yet, so I can't really comment on the power (or lack thereof). I can say that Honda has - apparently - made some substantive changes to the 2.4 L - 5-speed auto combination used in the CR-V since I last drove an Accord with it (at the time I purchased my car). I drove a 2013 CR-V and was pleasantly surprised. Back when I bought my car, the Accord was a dreadful ride - constantly hunting for the right gear on the highway.

BTW: I have heard/read very bad things about the Ecoboost engines in the press of late; I think Ford did a recall recently. And, I'm not looking at this for myself; otherwise, frankly the Escape would be off the list (based on my on own horrific, life-changing experience with Ford in the past ). My other half likes the thing, and you can - apparently - never have enough gadgetry (even if it's prone to breakage). So, that's that. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,564 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Our local dealership has 25 Escapes on sale for $19,999 right now, and while they are not the Titanium, they are very much loaded. I think they have made more than they can sell.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
It is the LAW of the markets...supply and DEMAND.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln