Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times

Advertisements

I have this car, and I only got it because I got it partly as an inheritance and it was almost paid off. Anyways, the car seems to be VERY cheaply made. I know 17k isn't a lot lot, but I would think the car would be somewhat durable.

I didn't have time to post a pic online, but I noticed a few weeks ago, that I got into the car and there was a bunch of white stuff on the door. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the door which is painted black, has it's paint coming off! I have owned various models before and I have NEVER seen this happen in a car before. I guess the inside of the car got too hot and it melted the paint off..I mean, seriously? The car itself only has like 50k miles. Does anyone else have a ford focus that has done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Previous Salvage Title?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:07 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,701,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Previous Salvage Title?
No, a relative of mine got it brand new off the lot and she paid the down payment but unfortunately passed away before she could finish the payments. I finished them and got a car that was 4 years old with only 28k for mileage so it was good for me..or so I thought. I wonder now if the inside was done this bad, then how is the engine going to be?

Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
fords are terrible...we have work vehicles with 30k and it feels like they have 170k.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
You might want to run the VIN, see if the car has been in any major accidents or had any major repairs. Fords aren't all that cheaply made anymore, especially the Focus. It probably had some cheaply done bodywork, since insurance usually doesn't pay out enough money to do bodywork 100% properly. Especially since it's a limited area and not the entire car's paint job going.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:00 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
No, a relative of mine got it brand new off the lot and she paid the down payment but unfortunately passed away before she could finish the payments. I finished them and got a car that was 4 years old with only 28k for mileage so it was good for me..or so I thought. I wonder now if the inside was done this bad, then how is the engine going to be?
My experience with the Focus is that it's a pretty danged solid little car. My daughter's has almost 250k on it, with absolutely nothing but maintenance done. Aside from the crappy SOHC engine they put in the early models, they have an excellent drive-train. And they're surprisingly easy to work on.

I don't know. Something just seems a little fishy here - like something was done to your car.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:02 AM

470 posts, read 1,664,195 times
The white stuff on the door is most likely the clear coat. I'm guessing you live in the south? It's a common problem with many less expensive cars where the sun is more intense. Occasionally happens in the North too. If you want to fix it, wet sand the paint where the clear is pealing and re-spray with a clear coat in a can. You can do multiple coats but you have to wet sand it to make it shine when you are finished.

As for the car's reliability. It can be a very reliable car. You have a 2.0 Duratech DOHC 4 cylinder. That motor will go 200K+ miles with regulator maintenance. My brother-in-law has an 07 that runs like new with 150,000 miles on it. Yeah, it squeaks and clunks because the suspension is worn out, but it start up every time and gets him everywhere he needs to go without a problem.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 AM

802 posts, read 1,681,457 times
I have a 2003 Ford Focus and the car is extremely reliable. Maybe you just picked up a lemon.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 AM

799 posts, read 2,440,701 times
They are tough, and reliable cars.

May not be the smoothest ride, or the best trim, but keep up with the mechanicals, and it should get you around.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtgmike View Post
They are tough, and reliable cars.

May not be the smoothest ride, or the best trim, but keep up with the mechanicals, and it should get you around.
+1. My 13 1/2 year old Focus may not be fancy, but this 2.0 Zetec keeps chugging along with a minimum of maintenance. OP, I would not worry about your Duratech. You may want to lurk around some Focus forums to identify possible problems and solutions, plus get some ideas/methods for dealing with your paint problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln