Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 11:23 AM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times

Advertisements

Big story according to whom?

Some idiot blogger who though it was going be under 3,000 pounds, have 500+ hp, and sell with the V8 for under 30k? That happens every time. The new Miata is supposed to weigh less than 2,000 and come with a rotary engine making 300 hp for $25k too.

One blogger says 400 pounds less, another 200 pounds less, another says it will weight 100 more. None have any authority, but you for some reason chose to believe 400 and then when someone else said No, it will weigh 100 pounds more, you changed your mind. Why? It's all just baseless speculation. I think it will come out slightly lighter, maybe around 100-200 lbs less. Curb weight on the base model I'd expect to see in the 3,300-3,400 pound range. Some use of aluminum plus high tensile steel frame. There won't be anything radical like using carbon fiber or an aluminium chassis ala Audi to drop that much weight. There's no budget for that. My authority? I'm familiar with the car. I saw some leaked pictures of prototypes.

Check out the all-new 2014 Miata that was co-developed with Alfa Romeo. It's 200 pounds lighter, gets 40 mpg on the high way, and has more power from a turbocharged engine.
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...#exterior-view

Wait a minute, that looks exactly like the 2013 Miata... what could have ever happened? Road and Track said....

Last edited by Malloric; 12-08-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:24 AM

28 posts, read 60,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Why would anybody call a Mustang muscle car? It was the first Pony car and still is.

Just because a Mustang has a lot of muscle and is faster than real muscle cars does not mean it's a muscle car.

Real muscle cars are intermediate size cars with big cube engines started with the Pontiac LeMans back in the sixties.

Boss 429, Camaro 454, Corvette L88, Hemi Cuda, all are NOT muscle cars.

GTO, Chevelle 454,Fairlane 427 Thunderbolt are muscle cars.
You are 100% correct but just wait and you will see some morons still calling it a muscle car...

Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but as I was scrolling down and first saw your top photo of the convertible, I said to myself "why did he post a picture of a convertible Camaro". I had to do a double take.
I've been caught thinking a mustang was a camaro and thinking a camaro was a mustang in the last year or so on me! I actually like this new mustang.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:24 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,520,099 times
Same old story. If you are a Chevy Camaro person, you will always like the Camaro and if you bleed Ford Blue you will always like the Mustang.

I could show a Chevy guy a Mustang with 600hp, weighs 2000 lbs and gets 60 mpg, does the 1/4 in 10 seconds from factory, and handles like it is on rails, comes with 10 yr/200,000 mile warranty, costs $30k. And they would still pick it apart and say it is junk and vice versa....

Personally, I think it is time that the Mustang goes IRS... Don't worry, I am sure there will still be a way to bolt a 9" up to it. If not thru Ford thru the aftermarket.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:54 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
Same old story. If you are a Chevy Camaro person, you will always like the Camaro and if you bleed Ford Blue you will always like the Mustang.

I could show a Chevy guy a Mustang with 600hp, weighs 2000 lbs and gets 60 mpg, does the 1/4 in 10 seconds from factory, and handles like it is on rails, comes with 10 yr/200,000 mile warranty, costs $30k. And they would still pick it apart and say it is junk and vice versa....

Personally, I think it is time that the Mustang goes IRS... Don't worry, I am sure there will still be a way to bolt a 9" up to it. If not thru Ford thru the aftermarket.
Remember this is not the first mustang to have an IRS. The SN95 new edge SVT Cobras had an IRS already and when used in serious drag racing, they would swap it out with a racing solid rear end.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 PM

21,880 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post

I think there's more people that just like cars than hopeless biased fanboys though... I could be wrong, of course.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I think there's more people that just like cars than hopeless biased fanboys though... I could be wrong, of course.
not all are fanboys. I had my 1st Camaro (70 1/2) in 1980, and had a couple 66 Chevelles before that so growing up was a big Chevy boy. BUT i could still appreciate my friends' Challengers, Roadrunners, and yes Mustangs at the same time even if we all ribbed each other over the brands we drove. Just never owned one all those years.
Then a couple yrs ago when it was time to upgrade our toy from an s2000 to a droptop with a backseat, we chose a '11 Stang convert over a similar Camaro. Why? I actually thought it was a better looking car. Apologies to new Camaro owners but i am not a fan of it's arse end, and having spent time on the street in a '69 i felt the new Camaro was more Caddy styling then retro when it first came out... again just my .02...
I am old enough to enjoy retro styling but can also appreciate modern performance and the tech that goes with it, regardless of the symbol on the front grill. Of course now that the 2015 mustang is leaning more worldly and less retro, to me that puts the Challenger as the one that is closest to the original... but that's another story.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:09 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Why does it insult some people that others call it a "muscle car." So what? Whether they call it that, or a Pony car, or a sports car, or a buggy... it's still a Mustang either way.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Why does it insult some people that others call it a "muscle car." So what? Whether they call it that, or a Pony car, or a sports car, or a buggy... it's still a Mustang either way.
It's not an insult but it should be called by what it is. It's a Pony car. It has a back seat so it is not a sports car. It's not a buggy because it's not pulled by a horse.

If people are going to come here and make comments at least get the players category correct.

If you weren't here when the first muscle cars came out then just get a book and read up.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:47 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Were they called muscle cars back in the 1960s and 1970s? I still have a book,"American Supercar." initially published in the early 1980s and then revised about 1986 by Roger Huntington. Nowhere does he call them muscle cars and he does include pony cars and the corvette. He did review many of the models when they were new. American Supercar: Roger Huntington: 9780895862211: Amazon.com: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln