Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times

Advertisements

Ford isn't the biggest seller for the last 30+ years because the make junk. Are there lemons? Of course just like every other brand.
The Chevy folks hate Fords because that's what Chevy guys do.
Foreign brand buyers hate most American brands so their opinions are worthless.

Like the commercial says, If you want to see who buys trucks because they are the best work trucks, just check out most construction sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well, because Fords are supposed to be good trucks, and after the GM/Chrysler bail out (and especially now that Chrysler is owned by ****ed In the Ass Twice Fiat) I have a bit more respect for Ford....

When we looked it up the book value i believe was a little higher.

I don't believe this is a Lariat truck...I don't really need all the bells and whistles Cadillac stuff on a truck....heck if i could find an F150 crew cab in the XL package, I'd be fine with that. When i buy a truck i prefer buying a truck, not a Cadillac. Save all the leather seats and crap for Lincolns and Caddy's.

I didn't see the FX4 on the bed, and i don't think I saw the white and red shocks either. I figure it's probably not an FX4.....i read FX4's have a stiff ride and this one didn't have a stiff ride.

I've posted some pics below of said truck in question.
I know this is a "duh" but look up by the F150 logo on the side. It usually has which variety (XL, XLT, etc.) there.

Could it be the STX? That was next up in line from the XL.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:36 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
So I took a look at an '07 F150 crew cab yesterday. It's said to be an FX4 though I'm not sure. Nice truck, has 103k, has electronic shift on the fly (esof) 4WD, power windows, power doors, tilt, cruise, CD player with aux, tow hitch under the bumper, a/c....and it has the 5.4 3 valve Triton V8. The engine does have some real power to it.

One of the things I noticed is the a/c isn't working. I told the salesman about this. He mentioned they recently replaced the cam phasers in the engine, and that the a/c had to be undone to do it.

Hhhmm.....cam phasers? Yes he said the 5.4's are notorious for this, and that his has new ones in ti and you won't hear any noises, etc.

So i am wondering on how often these cam phasers go out? or if this is a common problem? And do you really have to unhook the a/c compressor to do the work?

Anything else I should look for on this truck? I do like the truck. He's asking $15,500 for it.

One other thing,,,you think this truck would be ok to tow a 3340 lb car plus however much a 2 wheel U-haul tow dolly weighs?

Thanks in advance.
Cam Phasers are located under the valve covers and although you have to remove some stuff, valve cover, fuel rail etc, I can't recall having to disconnect the AC. Anyhow, I honestly can't recall this ever being an issue with the 5.4L.

As for spark plug issues with the 5.4L, this was corrected in 2004. Ford used 4 threads to secure a plug and had issues with the engine spitting them out...usually seen on the Supercharged Harley and 2nd Gen Lightning trucks. So they corrected this by making threads on the spark plugs 8 thread. I put a 100k on my 2003 Supercharged harley before moving on to a Raptor and never had an issue. It was a solid motor.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
You don't want it at any price Deez. The 5.4 is one of the worst engines to ever sit in any truck. Cam phasers are common failures and they cost about $1200. per side to replace. Most often it ends up better to replace the cams and eliminate the phasers. It does give you less low end but more mid range power. Comp Cams has the parts. These engines, YM 2007 also are notorious for the $1000.00 spark plug change in that the plug design is the 3 part plug. The plug literally welds itself into the head and comes apart when removing it. They have a Lisle tool that is about 80% effective. Key to avoiding it is changing plugs often and using a top tier gas. The new plug design came out in October 2007 with the 2008 trucks. The COPS on these are brown in color. The 2007 YM was also plagued with transmission issues. It was a bad valve body design that cause catastrophic transmission issues. Then you have the fuel injector issue. The 2005 5.4 carries a longer warranty for the engine IF note the IF, the engine suffers from hydrolocking. Engine replacement required. Ford uses the same injectors thru to the new head design October 2007. If you have a 2006 or 2007 with a failed injector(s), there is no extended warranty. Then you have the VCT system itself which has a tendency to self destruct. The oil journals are tiny and the engine uses this limited oil pressure to adjust the valve timing. If there is any restriction at all- sludge, debris, anything, the system doesn't work. It usually requires a new engine to fix. FWIW, any major engine work requires the cab of the truck to be removed just to get to it. Like I say, the 5.4 3V is the worst engine to ever sit in any truck. Find a 4.6 in any year after 2004 and they are near bulletproof and get great fuel mileage. All of the Triton engines prior to 2004 will have short spark plug threads in the soft aluminum heads. It's common for the plugs to be blown out of the heads , threads and all. New heads or Timecert required.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:22 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Thanks....bummer I really do/did like the truck.

I wonder if the 2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab would be any better mechanical wise? I know they had the whole Dex Coll incident with deteriorated headgaskets....although changing to the green stuff is something I could do over the course of a weekend.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:53 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,270 times
If you ever want to look up a window sticker on an 06 up Ford, just replace the VIN number at the end of this link with the VIN of the vehicle you are looking at. Then you can see exactly how it came from the factory.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...BP8FF1D5251324

Good luck in your search!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
If you ever want to look up a window sticker on an 06 up Ford, just replace the VIN number at the end of this link with the VIN of the vehicle you are looking at. Then you can see exactly how it came from the factory.

http://www.inventory.ford.com/servic...BP8FF1D5251324

Good luck in your search!
Tried that, didn't work for me. vin is 1ftpw14v57kc76813

Old 02-09-2014, 05:21 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,102,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You don't want it at any price Deez. The 5.4 is one of the worst engines to ever sit in any truck. Cam phasers are common failures and they cost about $1200. per side to replace. Most often it ends up better to replace the cams and eliminate the phasers. It does give you less low end but more mid range power. Comp Cams has the parts. These engines, YM 2007 also are notorious for the $1000.00 spark plug change in that the plug design is the 3 part plug. The plug literally welds itself into the head and comes apart when removing it. They have a Lisle tool that is about 80% effective. Key to avoiding it is changing plugs often and using a top tier gas. The new plug design came out in October 2007 with the 2008 trucks. The COPS on these are brown in color. The 2007 YM was also plagued with transmission issues. It was a bad valve body design that cause catastrophic transmission issues. Then you have the fuel injector issue. The 2005 5.4 carries a longer warranty for the engine IF note the IF, the engine suffers from hydrolocking. Engine replacement required. Ford uses the same injectors thru to the new head design October 2007. If you have a 2006 or 2007 with a failed injector(s), there is no extended warranty. Then you have the VCT system itself which has a tendency to self destruct. The oil journals are tiny and the engine uses this limited oil pressure to adjust the valve timing. If there is any restriction at all- sludge, debris, anything, the system doesn't work. It usually requires a new engine to fix. FWIW, any major engine work requires the cab of the truck to be removed just to get to it. Like I say, the 5.4 3V is the worst engine to ever sit in any truck. Find a 4.6 in any year after 2004 and they are near bulletproof and get great fuel mileage. All of the Triton engines prior to 2004 will have short spark plug threads in the soft aluminum heads. It's common for the plugs to be blown out of the heads , threads and all. New heads or Timecert required.

This is exactly why I am on my third Dodge truck in the past 24 years. I'll stick with Dodge, thank you. The shifting of some paperwork on Wall Street that now makes Dodge a subsidiary of Fiat has not changed the engineering or durability of their trucks. And they are still imported from Detroit, thank God.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM

23 posts, read 67,358 times
I wouldn't recommend buying a used F150 with a 5.4 3V in it. These trucks have loads of common problems. Spark plugs break off when being changed on the older ones. Coils are a common failure. Cam phasers are very common. Even if the seller says that the truck has had them replaced, you really need to see an invoice of parts used. Did they change the timing chain tensioners with the phasers? If not, the problem will return at a later time. I've also seen people put thicker oil in trucks that were just starting to make the noise and it does keep them quiet for a while.

Even ignoring the engine issues, Ford still has problems with 4WD. The integrated wheel ends (4WD lockout) are prone to failure and a pair of them will set you back over $300 from the dealer.

I like Ford, but I wouldn't buy any F150 that's any older than a 2011 without having it inspected first and seeing very detailed maintenance records (IMO, which should apply to any used vehicle purchase). It's just too easy to get burned.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,906,525 times
From what I hear the Tundra is the best truck ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln