Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times

Advertisements

Before you over think it, might it be your fuel? Try pouring some isopropyl alcohol in the gas tank. It has to do with the newer fuel mixtures and older engines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I had a 93 ranger doing that and it was a TPS ( throttle position sensor). Yours, being about 10 years newer I wouldn't know if it has one or not but a code reading should expose the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I was also thinking MAF (Mass air flow sensor). You can try cleaning it, or get a new one. The parts store should carry a spray specifically for cleaning the MAF.

You'll be looking for an electrical doo-dad located somewhere between the air box and throttle body. You'll likely need a small torx bit to get it out, but be really careful, and do it while the engine has been off for a while. When you take it out, you'll see that the sensors are similar to the filaments of a light bulb, and if you spray the wires while they are still hot, you could damage them.

Really simple swap, anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
On a 2003 that did this, eventually it stopped completely and refused to start again, leaving us stranded. Turned out to be the fuel pump. This was at about 100,000 miles. Replacement required either removal of the bed, or draining and dropping the tank. In our case we had it done at a local shop for about $500.
Ding, ding, and ding.

And i'll throw more in here.. MAP sensor, plug wires and fuel filter. But, i'd look at the above three first. Thing is.. A MAF or MAP sensor will GENERALLY log a code. Well, the fuel filter.. That's usually cheap and easy to replace.. So, might throw the $10 or so at that first, if it hasn't been replaced.

In fact, searching common problems on the 2001 Ranger.. Well, you didn't mention the mileage on it.. But.. If the plug wires are 13 years old..

This, from another forum doing a search for "2001 ford ranger stumbles on acceleration"

Quote:
Finally, figured it out a couple of weeks ago. One morning when it was still dark, I looked at the engine while it was running. Sure enough the plug wires were giving me a light show. I replaced the plugs and wires and it runs great now.
Another shows TPS

If the Ford throttle body is as bad as Chevy.. Might need to clean that. Mine gets nasty about every 40k miles.. So, pending on your mileage..

Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
192,000 miles.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln