Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 05:54 AM

221 posts, read 334,177 times

Advertisements

Haha, good story. I wonder if the same effect applies more recently with the changeover to other police car models and the phasing out of the Crown Vic. Gotta get some more seat time with these to find out. I kind of wish they weren't white so they could fit the 'detective' bill, but those cost more as they apparently are more popular. Or at least it seemed that way during the auction. I liked cheap, and didn't want to make an actual 'investment' in a Crown Vic.

I'll say this, they sound pretty cool and look good from the outside during 'intercepting' type action. But sound effects aside, kind of disappointing when your daily driver walks all over the thing in actual performance measures and feel from behind the wheel in your 'toy' car. Maybe if I had a econobox as a daily driver I wouldn't be so spoiled, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:28 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,191,176 times
Keep up with basic maintence and drive them forever. Lincoln Towncar seats will just bolt right in.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times
Pretend to be a cop and drive up on peoples bumpers for rots of raffs...

Maybe drive through ghettos and trailer parks and see if you can stumble into the middle of a turf war or major drug deal. That would be the internet story id like to read about instead if just another "I scared some guy minding his own business by riding his bumper in my beat up old fake cop car. Hardy har."

Old 10-18-2014, 07:03 AM

995 posts, read 1,227,677 times
Call Jake and Elwood ... See if they want to go play music somewhere or terrorize the neighborhood

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,107,986 times
Watch out there was a problem with exploding after a rear end crash. The only reason the police went with Fords is because Chevy stople making the full size Rwd Caprice. Many towns and city's repaired and rebuilt there old fleet of Caprices untill they were beyond repair. Now that Chevy has a new smaller Caprice I see allot of police driving them by me.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:34 AM

17,544 posts, read 17,485,812 times
I'd figure out which is in the best condition. If there are parts on the worse of the two that is in better shape than the better of the two, swap them. Sell the worse of the two for a small profit. Use the money for paint & body work so it doesn't look like a cop car. Pick a factory original color. See if you can find quality nice hubcaps until you can afford decent looking rims. Interior things like the rear seat can probably be replaced at a discount through salvage yards.

Mechanically, the two most likely parts that may need work are the suspension and transmission. Those cars sit and idle for hours at a time and if they're involved in high speed chases then they're tough on shocks and struts.

I'd go ahead and change all the fluids, filters, and belts. Inspect and test the suspension and change as needed. Remember to change both sides. Don't replace a shock/strut on the left without replacing the right as well. If one is bad, I'd go ahead and replace all four corners. Get the injectors cleaned as well.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,775,153 times
Those are 4.6 motored cars, aren't they ? If so, I bet they are hopped up a little more than the usual passenger car versions. Or do they put 5.0's in them ?

Do they leave the windows dark tinted or do they remove it or make you remove it ?

Don

Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,704,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Those are 4.6 motored cars, aren't they ? If so, I bet they are hopped up a little more than the usual passenger car versions. Or do they put 5.0's in them ?
4.6. And they get bigger alternators, a bit better suspension and some other bits and pieces, but they are not significantly faster. Plus, condition plays a big part in it. If they are beat on real hard, grand ma's untuned stock Grand Marquis would beat them.

Quote:
Do they leave the windows dark tinted or do they remove it or make you remove it ?
Not all have dark tint. He may not have gotten a Vice or undercover car. I've seen some with the tint still own. They'll eventually get a ticket.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM

14,225 posts, read 14,642,943 times
There is a club called Crown Vic Boys. Look them up.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:29 PM

168 posts, read 198,377 times
I'd try to sell them to some goofball in Australia
My in laws over there pay silly money for the weirdest American cars. Like $150K for a 1987 Ford Bronco.
A lot of gear heads with questionable taste and money to burn.

Last edited by Chubsworth; 10-18-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln