Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
The Crown Vic (Cap Class as well--my fav) were two of the last great american made vehicles. I'm 39 and I guess you can just give me my old man card right now. I'm always in search of a large rwd vehicle. Being 6'7" and trying to squeeze into today's modern cars are a nightmare. There's reason law enforcement always used these, they stood the test of time.
My buddy is 6'7 and he is an Escalade guy......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:16 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,715,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
GM carried the RWD Impala/Caddy/Buick through 96.....
Yes, that's why I said "all but" gone. But since that series was such a dog from a styling standpoint, it's hardly worth mentioning.

I considered the CrownVic's styling of that era a step down, as well, from the 1991s. But it has since grown on me as the rest of American car offerings became a joke long ago. It took a lot more to stand out above the pack in the late 60s than it has for the last 20+ years. Sadly, the bar has been lowered to the bottom rung in every respect but engine/transmisson technology and electronics.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:44 PM

80 posts, read 57,988 times
Friends,

As I'm old (72YY) & wanted a GREAT car at a cheap price, I'm buying a NAVY BLUE/gray inside, 1996 GRAND MARQUIS GS in MINT condition with 56,000 original miles that is one-owner & belonged to a retired COL/06 & Jet Fighter Pilot of the USAF.

Given how tough/easy to maintain & repair these "old-school" Grand Marquis are, I expect it to last me "one H of a long time" & effortlessly get 25MPG at 75MPH while floating down the interstate highway.
(Fwiw, I'm a retired federal officer & I fell in love with the government-leased Marquis that I drove for years.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 02-16-2019 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,951,921 times
I saw a Marauder yesterday. I really miss those cars being our police cars. They had real oomph and lots of room. With some practice one could even drive them well in bad weather, which was a lot of peoples complaint about them.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 02-17-2019, 08:01 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
In Florida the crown Victoria and the Grand Marquis were know as Q tip cars. Lol

Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 AM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx78247 View Post
Friends,

As I'm old (72YY) & wanted a GREAT car at a cheap price, I'm buying a NAVY BLUE/gray inside, 1996 GRAND MARQUIS GS in MINT condition with 56,000 original miles that is one-owner & belonged to a retired COL/06 & Jet Fighter Pilot of the USAF.

Given how tough/easy to maintain & repair these "old-school" Grand Marquis are, I expect it to last me "one H of a long time" & effortlessly get 25MPG at 75MPH while floating down the interstate highway.
(Fwiw, I'm a retired federal officer & I fell in love with the government-leased Marquis that I drove for years.)

yours, tex
Score! Those Air Force officers got some cushy rides. I once got a lift from my USAF (former) neighbor in his Lincoln Town Car. That was a nice ride.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:49 AM

4,943 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Depends, they do resemble a Grand Marquis; but the interceptor version with a push bar gives them attitude.
And poor mileage, which is why they can be had for $10K w/only 30K miles.
Problem is they are all white, yes; am on the fence regarding a trade in.
Spoke to the owner of the largest cab company in town, who ran all CV's until 3 years ago.
They are also mechanics, and gave me a laundry list of reasons not to.
Yet my GM has been the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM

The CV that cab companies use are old beat to hell high mileage x police cars, sure there is going to be problems they have been beat to death. So if you’re taking the word of a cab company mechanic who is probably a back yard mechanic and not even licensed then you are very naive, because most cab companies are cheap and don’t want to pay what a license mechanic makes, so they hire cheap day labor mechanics.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:11 AM

4,943 posts, read 3,049,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The CV that cab companies use are old beat to hell high mileage x police cars, sure there is going to be problems they have been beat to death. So if you’re taking the word of a cab company mechanic who is probably a back yard mechanic and not even licensed then you are very naive, because most cab companies are cheap and don’t want to pay what a license mechanic makes, so they hire cheap day labor mechanics.

You assume much, for 40 years they've maintained their own fleets/offered private mechanic services.
Family owned business, switched to Scions/Prius' a few years back; over 100 of them.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You assume much, for 40 years they've maintained their own fleets/offered private mechanic services.
Family owned business, switched to Scions/Prius' a few years back; over 100 of them.
Maybe we’re you live but not we’re i live there hardly any cab business around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln