Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:09 PM
J24 J24 started this thread

448 posts, read 863,215 times

Advertisements

So my check engine light has been on for quite some time and I haven't been bothered to take it in and pay ~$100 to get it diagnosed.

I did get it scanned for free at Auto Zone, their reader said it was 1 of 2 things - either the gas cap or something related to O2 sensors. Well, I recently changed my gas cap and in 2013 I actually had all 4 O2 sensors and my catalytic converter replaced (for $950 ).

Because of that, I really don't think it's anything serious... and I don't feel super inclined to fork over a chunk of money to find out that it might be nothing.

Any of you mechanics out there have any suggestions or should I just go into a mechanic and pay to have it officially diagnosed and get it fixed? I'm going to have to get emission tests done soon, and they won't pass your car if the check engine light is on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Try this first. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it off for a minute or so, then reconnect it. Sometimes this will reboot the computer and the check engine light might go off , especially if it was your cap and you replaced it..

Don

Old 05-01-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Try this first. Disconnect the negative battery terminal and leave it off for a minute or so, then reconnect it. Sometimes this will reboot the computer and the check engine light might go off , especially if it was your cap and you replaced it..

Don
I'll definitely give that a shot. My battery died a couple of months ago after the stereo somehow stayed on after the car was turned off... would that also have reset the computer? Because if so, the light was on before & after.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Probably not, but it is worth a try to disconnect it and see what happens. Since you fixed the gas cap and the parts store said it might be the sensors, that might be the next logical step.

Don

Old 05-02-2015, 08:45 PM

384 posts, read 733,924 times
What is the code you got?

Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
What is the code you got?
It's been months since I took it to Auto Zone for them to read it, so I don't have the code on hand anymore... I'll see if I can swing by again and get the code. Like I mentioned earlier, it was a code that stated it could be related to the O2 sensors or the gas cap.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:48 AM

670 posts, read 1,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Don
Leave it off for about 30 minutes just to be sure.

OP, don't listen to the Autozone clowns. As you can see from this list, there are different codes for each issue.

Mustang DTC Check Engine Codes

Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, it was a code that stated it could be related to the O2 sensors or the gas cap.

Don't go by what the code reader says, or what the guys at Autozone tell you. Just get the Code number, write it down, go home and research.

The code could either be a Cause or a Result. For example, you are saying that the code was related to the O2 sensors. You would assume that means to replace the O2 sensors, but the code could also be the result of a situation like a small exhaust leak upstream of the O2 sensor causing them to run lean.

There are so many code numbers that it's hard to assume anything right now.

BTW, you can buy a $5 wifi adapter and a $4 app on your smart phone and make your own code reader.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:43 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Why were the catalytic converters and o2 sensors replaced so early? If the car is operating normally, these items should last you much longer than they have. Did you correct the initial problem that caused the converters and o2 sensors to fail?

Old 05-05-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Why were the catalytic converters and o2 sensors replaced so early? If the car is operating normally, these items should last you much longer than they have. Did you correct the initial problem that caused the converters and o2 sensors to fail?
It's been about 2 years... and I'm not going to claim to be a mechanic, but I believe the guy said that something was basically coming apart. I took it in to get looked at because the car was making a loud rattling noise, like a rock was getting thrown around somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln