Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,404 times

Advertisements

I have a 2003 Ford Taurus SE and soon after I got it, it started squealing. I replaced the alternator, idler pulley, and the belt itself. The squealing finally stopped after I replaced the belt, but only for a week or so. It squeals almost all the time, except for when I am braking. It stops for a couple seconds when I spray WD-40 on the belt. Since the belt is brand new could it be that it just needs to be broken in a little bit or something? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 09:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,769,054 times
Most commonly on a Ford product the cause of a noisy belt is due to oil getting on the belt and pulleys. Changing the belt will only give a temporary fix as you've now experienced. But you made it worse with the WD-40, a bad, bad mistake. You'll need to take the new belt and trash it, clean all of the pulleys with brake cleaner, and then with alcohol and then put a new belt on it. While under the hood, you need to find out where the oil is coming from that is contaminating the belt. It can be an oil leak, coolant leak, brake fluid leak, power steering leak, or an automatic transmission line leaking. If the engine bay is greasy, I'd give it a thorough cleaning. A solution of Dawn and water sprayed on a warm engine at a 25 cent car wash can work wonders on a grimy engine bay. Let the solution sit several minutes before blasting the crap off. Do not let anything like Armorall get on the belt or pulleys.
OR, cause I know somebody is going to say it works wonders, buy a can of belt dressing. It's sticky and won't let the belt slip. The down side, you'll be doing it every weekend and every time it rains. If you decide on this fix, buy a big can as you'll be putting it on often. The plus side- there isn't one and if you keep the car long enough that the belt rots out from the belt dressing, you now have an incredible mess to clean up.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:11 PM

384 posts, read 727,126 times
The tensioner might be bad

Old 08-10-2015, 09:00 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,079,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
The tensioner might be bad

Probably is. My 2000 duratec squealed and if I sprayed water on the belt it went away for a couple of seconds, so after replacing the tensioner, the issue was resolved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln