Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 12:22 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,900,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
A new Lincoln Continental is coming out and could have easily been a Taurus, since it addresses the current Taurus failure (Cramped Interior & probably a bit lighter). The current Taurus is pretty much the same since 2010, except the minor revisions of 2013 with the powertrain and very minor interior upgrade.

The Fusion is nice, but could use an extra inch or 2 in the rear.

Ford has nothing to compete with the Avalon, Impala, or any other Full Side Sedans, since a Continental starts around 45K.

Biggest reason is the full size sedan segment is low volume and declining. Makes it hard to justify additional investment as even a 10% jump in sales from a redesign will not come close to making a return on that investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 07:47 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,073,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I have the original crossover that built the segment, the Subaru Forester- regularly gets a bit over 30mpg highway. I don't drive many miles presently, only need to fill it up every month to month and a half.
I wouldn't really call the Forester a crossover. Crossovers are, as a general rule, rubbish off pavement, whereas the Forester, as I am given to understand, is a champ in the muck.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Yeah, it made no sense that they replaced SUV's with supposed truck engines, only to replace them with something 1000lbs heavier and a car engine. Wouldnt it have just made sense to take the SUV's and put car engines with 6spd autos in them instead.
Not sure where you are getting the 1,000 lbs heavier figure (and the SUVs do have car engines with 6-speed autos in them), but you can thank not caring for years about greenhouse gases for the engine downsizing.

Honestly, I'm not sure what point you're making with the above-quoted.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:51 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,880,173 times
Original Ford Taurus Mercury Sable.

In year 2005 Ford Motor Company sold over 200,000 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable models/cars.

The idiots at Ford cancelled this model.

Had a column shift option as well as floor shift.
Had the rear hatch window that opened. So handy for some of us.
Both are gone now in EVERY Ford vehicle.

The seats in these cars were big and comfortable. Again, missing in EVERY Ford Lincoln vehicle.

I don't want a big fat console with tiny hard seats. Can't find any Ford product with no console and a column shift.
So I am now into used ones. I have two wagons with column shift. And my next Ford will be another used Taurus or Sable wagon pre-2006.

And I can afford any new Ford or Lincoln offered today. Just not going to happen as the idiots at Ford dropped this layout in every one of the vehicles offered. Except the pickup truck. And I already have a nice pickup truck. Yep, the pickup truck has a column shift and no console.

And Ford does make column shift cars/vehicles today. Limited to fleet sales to police departments and to taxi cab companies. Why not offer this to the general public? No real additional cost to Ford.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM

Here is a Ford column shift offered today - 2017.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:01 AM

And a limited smaller center console. Ford 2017.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 AM

15,693 posts, read 20,211,420 times
I've got a '14 Limited, and it's funny, all the things people are listing off here as dislikes, are things I actually love about the car. I love the big center console, and 3 usable cupholders. We have kids, and you have no idea how handy that is when passing cups back and forth and needing a place to put it in addition to my coffee.

Big trunk? Perfect for the family vacation. Plenty of room to pack for 2 adults and 2 toddlers with toys and cooler and everything else you need for a week away. It's come in handy plenty of times. One of the reasons I went with the Taurus over the fusion.

Could care less about column shift. Never had it, never will. I grew up driving manuals and always rested my hand on the shifter. Still do this in autos.

Regularly go out to lunch in my car. Easily fit 5 with no complains on legroom or space. In fact, we take my car specifically because it's big enough to handle 5 adults.

I like the styling personally. I've added the rear spoiler, changed the front LED tubes to DRL Led tubes, and overall like the size and hulk of the car. Mine has the 19" wheels on it too which I love, and with 255 width tires, it handles very well and the braking performance is impressive for a car this size. I'm a tall guy too, and have no issues with the interior, and love the dash layout with the MyFordTouch LCD screens in the cluster and center console.

What I don't like? Lack of view out the rear view mirror. The rear of this car is high, and if you pull up behind me in a Corvette, i'll never even see it. Fortunately the limited trim has a pretty good rear view camera system. Other than that, not much else I don't like about it.

Never been a fan of the pre-2010 Taurus, and prefer the 2013+ refresh. I came from an Infiniti G35 and am really liking this car. My only regret...not getting the SHO.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:33 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,507,561 times
I've never rode in a Taurus that didnt feel/sound like it was going to shiet after 60K miles.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:40 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,900,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

In year 2005 Ford Motor Company sold over 200,000 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable models/cars.

Both are gone now in EVERY Ford vehicle.

The seats in these cars were big and comfortable. Again, missing in EVERY Ford Lincoln vehicle.

I don't want a big fat console with tiny hard seats. Can't find any Ford product with no console and a column shift.
So I am now into used ones. I have two wagons with column shift. And my next Ford will be another used Taurus or Sable wagon pre-2006.

And I can afford any new Ford or Lincoln offered today. Just not going to happen as the idiots at Ford dropped this layout in every one of the vehicles offered. Except the pickup truck. And I already have a nice pickup truck. Yep, the pickup truck has a column shift and no console.

And Ford does make column shift cars/vehicles today. Limited to fleet sales to police departments and to taxi cab companies. Why not offer this to the general public? No real additional cost to Ford.

Most people do not want column shifters and that's why you don't see them in most vehicles anymore, not just Ford products. Their take rates declined substantially over the years when they were offered so then eventually they just went the way of the dinosaur. (Just like manual transmissions, manual door locks, manual windows, etc.)

The Taurus models sold to cab and police companies have a different interior and a lot of other new parts (including the steering column and steering gear) that don't crossover to the retail model. It's not as simple as it may seem to offer the column shifter in retail models, but again, even if they could they wouldn't bother as most people do not like them.

Ford's pickup trucks have column shifters AND floor shifters/consoles now, too. On the F-150 most of the models above the XLT have the floor shifter/console combo.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure you know much more about vehicle manufacturing than those idiots at Ford.
Quote:
Redundant + ancient technology. Column shifters are super uncomfortable for most.
Quote:
Sure, it's a handy feature, but you've hit the nail on the head with the highlighted word. If it wasn't particularly popular, no reason to engineer another source of leaks and other potential issues.
Quote:
Extremely subjective. Plenty of Ford models come with big and comfortable seats.
Quote:
Can't find any Ford product with no console and a column shift.
Okay. You would be in the vast minority of people wanting these two particular features.
Quote:
Just not going to happen as the idiots at Ford dropped this layout in every one of the vehicles offered.
Does calling people who likely make a LOT more money than you "idiots" elevate you in your own eyes somehow?
Quote:
Apparently because the vast majority of the general public doesn't want their cars outfitted this way and Ford is in the business of mass-producing vehicles, not customizing them to unit731's tastes. Don't you think that those "idiots" in Dearborn would jump on a potential money-making opportunity if they saw it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln