Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,332,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I think it always comes back to the beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing. Just like those who only prefer the Foxbody 'stangs from the 80's, I tend to gravitate toward the earlier years of the S-197 generation, Then again, a lot of it has to do with experience. My first Mustang was the 2006 GT, and while there were cosmetic and engine mods I had planned to do to it prior to my trading it in, I loved that generation. Now, admittedly, I think the back end upgrades on the '10-'14 were an improvement over the '05-'09, I still preferred the front end look of the earlier years in that generation.

Of course, I'm also looking at cost. I'm trying to keep my costs relatively low when I get ready to get my next Mustang. I don't plan on buying brand new, so I like the idea of finding something with relatively low mileage for around $15-$19k if possible. Now, relatively low miles to me could mean anything at or below 60K miles. Something that I could do some light mods on and enjoy for a few years and eventually get something a bit newer from there. I'm not in that pay range where I can easily sink $35k + into a brand new car or even a CPO car for that much, so I have to look at GT's a bit older, and I'm fine with that.
You should be able to get a low miles GT from that era for under $15k. Here's just a few in my area with a quick search.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=166102081

Love this blue color

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=158675324

I love my S197 and it's got enough mods to standout from a generic model Mustang. That's what's fun to me as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
You should be able to get a low miles GT from that era for under $15k. Here's just a few in my area with a quick search.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=166102081

Love this blue color

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=158675324

I love my S197 and it's got enough mods to standout from a generic model Mustang. That's what's fun to me as well.
Man, I might have to head out to Arizona and visit my sister-in-law so that I could go car shopping. I've seen the same model years, around the same mileage, around here for a lot more than that. As matter of fact, I've seen people post their S-197 generation GT on Craig's List for about $20k, that had close to 100,000 miles!

Old 02-08-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Man, I might have to head out to Arizona and visit my sister-in-law so that I could go car shopping. I've seen the same model years, around the same mileage, around here for a lot more than that. As matter of fact, I've seen people post their S-197 generation GT on Craig's List for about $20k, that had close to 100,000 miles!
Not that you need convincing but Arizona also has a very low, if any amount of cars with rust on them as long as they originated here. Sometimes that's a definite reason to visit a southern state to buy a car. You do have to add about 9% tax on the prices posted online here. But cars here seem to be very cheap compared to other parts of the country, and in the Phoenix area with 4 million people, you can find something that works for you.

That search took my all of 2 minutes.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Not that you need convincing but Arizona also has a very low, if any amount of cars with rust on them as long as they originated here. Sometimes that's a definite reason to visit a southern state to buy a car. You do have to add about 9% tax on the prices posted online here. But cars here seem to be very cheap compared to other parts of the country, and in the Phoenix area with 4 million people, you can find something that works for you.

That search took my all of 2 minutes.
Here in North Carolina, we have a pretty low rate of rust issues as well. We don't get a lot of snow (if any), maybe one good storm a year, but not like the northern states where they get hit several times during the winter. Like you said about Arizona, as long as the cars originate from NC, I'm usually pretty safe. That being said, people around here certainly value their Mustangs. The ones I've seen priced around $13k have over 100,000 miles on them. Anything I've seen below 50,000 miles are priced at least at $18k and up.

What I've found are two camps. Those who have maxed out modified Mustangs that they're selling for about $30k (to get all of their money out of the modifications), and those who have ragged out their Mustangs that are willing to sell them for about $10k. When I'm ready to buy, I'm willing to put in about $15k, and that's about it. I'll do some simple modifications on it once I get it, but unless I get a gigantic raise, I am not in the bracket of consumer that can afford a $30k car.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:22 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

What I've found are two camps. Those who have maxed out modified Mustangs that they're selling for about $30k (to get all of their money out of the modifications), and those who have ragged out their Mustangs that are willing to sell them for about $10k. When I'm ready to buy, I'm willing to put in about $15k, and that's about it. I'll do some simple modifications on it once I get it, but unless I get a gigantic raise, I am not in the bracket of consumer that can afford a $30k car.

I wouldn't buy either.

Historically, I've purchased the stock, lower mileage car that was owned by an older guy who drove it to the golf course. A little tougher to find, but better than a car that's been beat on.

Actually, the current Mustang in my garage was owned by a woman in her 60's

Old 02-09-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wouldn't buy either.

Historically, I've purchased the stock, lower mileage car that was owned by an older guy who drove it to the golf course. A little tougher to find, but better than a car that's been beat on.

Actually, the current Mustang in my garage was owned by a woman in her 60's
I bet if one was in the market for a Mercedes or BMW, you could find a lot more of those in that situation than a Mustang. At least from what I've seen. I see a lot of people in their 60's and 70's driving Mercedes and BMW around my area. Not many driving Mustangs though. That age range tends to be more on the young side.

Seems like I remember a Craig's List deal where a Dad was punishing his son for something he did, and as punishment, he was selling his son's Mustang GT '07 for like $7000. It looked to be in pretty decent condition from the pictures, and it had under 70,000 miles in it. I couldn't pull the trigger at the time, but even if a person had to put in another $2k to make sure it's up to snuff, that would have been an excellent deal!

Old 02-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Here in North Carolina, we have a pretty low rate of rust issues as well. We don't get a lot of snow (if any), maybe one good storm a year, but not like the northern states where they get hit several times during the winter. Like you said about Arizona, as long as the cars originate from NC, I'm usually pretty safe. That being said, people around here certainly value their Mustangs. The ones I've seen priced around $13k have over 100,000 miles on them. Anything I've seen below 50,000 miles are priced at least at $18k and up.

Anyone looking to up their price due to modifications will have to sit a while to sell it. Most of the time you aren't getting anywhere close to your money back on modifications, if any at all. I surely would wanna buy stock and do my own modifications as opposed to buying a modified car by someone else.

Interesting that the price difference is that much between the areas. $15k here gets you a pretty low miles 05-09 Mustang GT here.

Old 02-09-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Anyone looking to up their price due to modifications will have to sit a while to sell it. Most of the time you aren't getting anywhere close to your money back on modifications, if any at all. I surely would wanna buy stock and do my own modifications as opposed to buying a modified car by someone else.

Interesting that the price difference is that much between the areas. $15k here gets you a pretty low miles 05-09 Mustang GT here.
It might be availability as well. I haven't seen a lot of mid 2000's Mustangs on the used car lots around here.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:43 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
I bet if one was in the market for a Mercedes or BMW, you could find a lot more of those in that situation than a Mustang. At least from what I've seen. I see a lot of people in their 60's and 70's driving Mercedes and BMW around my area. Not many driving Mustangs though. That age range tends to be more on the young side.

Yes and no. While I agree that Mustang owners tend to be young, there aren't really a whole lot of 20 year olds able to swing a $40-50K Mustang GT 5.0 these days.

I'm in a few local clubs, and most of the 2015+ owners tend to be 45+ years old, and modifications are usually minimal by way of appearance items or new wheels and gingerly taken out of the garage to the local meets and that's about it.

Usually by the time they depreciate and 2nd and 3rd owners come into play, then you'll see a lot of 18-25 year old owners who flog the hell out of them.

I'm 35...but I'd be looking for something more like a cruiser. Shine it up, take it for a ride now and then, maybe get on it here and there...but dump the clutch and smoke the tires? Take it drag racing? Nope..not what I'd do with it.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:54 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I own a 12 GT Convertible and I am currently on a business trip and have a loaded Turbo Mustang Convertible.. All I can say is that I am very interested in trading to the turbo model..

It certainly is not as fast and doesn't have the same rumble, but, it drives fantastic and is a lot more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln