Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 06:24 AM

1,809 posts, read 5,422,154 times

Advertisements

Key Ignition Switch Problem On A 1999 Crown Victoria LX?
Today when I went to the store to turn the vehicle off, it couldn't turn off and the ignition switch didn't "click , click" when turning the key forward or backwards.

Which I had the vehicle locked while the vehicle was on until I got home. When the only option I had was to take off the power relay and disconnect the battery.

Plus the steering wheel does lock when vehicle turned off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:28 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,923,039 times
Well, this will sound confusing most likely. The key is not the ignition switch. The switch itself is mounted on the steering column under the dash. That's the good news. The bad news is it sounds like the little cast iron piece that moves to make the ignition switch work is broke. Unfortunately it's a common failure on the Crown Vic. The worst news is I doubt you'll find any new parts at the Ford dealership to fix it. You might end up at a junk yard to find the little piece of junk. Most commonly though, Ford used this type of ignition system thru out the Ford line. My 91 Bronco has the same junky piece, for an example. I'm not sure they are completely identical but if you have issues finding this part, you might find that an F150 will fit too. It's not hard to replace if you thinking about doing it yourself. All you need to do is remove the steering column trim, remove the key assembly, remove the dash trim, drop the steering column (2 bolts), and replace it. I'd replace the switch while you have it apart. Costs about 15 bucks for a new one. You can still use the old key assembly although I'd strongly suggest giving it a good cleaning. A non-flammable spray brake cleaner is what I use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln